Bruce McAvaney retires from commentary

Remove this Banner Ad

Sad day. Yes he has fallen off the last few years and probably become close to a parody of himself at times but he was still a quality commentator with a great passion for the game.

Like channel 9 with the cricket once Richie etc moved on channel 7’s broadcasting will continue to descend into ex player led buffoonery.

Bruce is one of the nicest people I’ve met and I just hope his retirement at a somewhat young age still isn’t related to his cancer getting worse or something like that.
You hit the nail on the head - "ex-player buffoonery"... Just because they may have been good footballers, doesn't make them good commentators. Many ( especially BT) are drunk on their own bathwater ( still )..

Was there something a couple of years ago
When taylor got the shits because his missus worked out that other commentators were getting more commentary time during the games
Taylor was doing 1 or 2 minutes less during the course of the game and got shirty on it
Anyone recall this?

The talent pool probably isn’t that shallow. The problem is that Channel 7 has no eye for talent, no judgement as to what constitutes actual talent and no competence to recognise, cultivate or reward real talent.

If Channel 7 was an AFL team and commentators were players then it would have won the last 10 wooden spoons; have squandered all its high draft picks; be universally regarded as an off-field rabble with a bad culture; and be accused of tanking every season by deliberately playing muppets who are simply not up to AFL standard.
The best football host by a country mile is Sarah Jones, but she is surrounded by neanderthals...

When taylor got the shits because his missus worked out that other commentators were getting more commentary time during the games
Taylor was doing 1 or 2 minutes less during the course of the game and got shirty on it
Anyone recall this?
Did this lead to roving Brian ?

Might be time to end a great run.. but if it is for Bruce.. it sure is for the likes of Dunstall, Dermie and BT who finished playing before Bruce really started but still carry on like people care what they did in the VFL 40 years ago.

Its actually cringeworthy watching recently retired players trying to explain team defence to some of these dinosaurs when it has been common place for a decade.

Mate, when I first heard Darcy I was wondering whether there was an audio delay. Now I know if he's three comments behind the play it's just the status quo. Now with Brayshaw taking over Bruce's gig, I keep having this nightmare of Saturday nights with Darcy, Richo and Basil Zempilas.

Luke Darcy’s is terrible. His voice is absolutely horrific for commentary. Cannot believe they’ve persisted with him for so long.

Anyone recall this?

i call ..urban mythology bull####

Might be time to end a great run.. but if it is for Bruce.. it sure is for the likes of Dunstall, Dermie and BT who finished playing before Bruce really started but still carry on like people care what they did in the VFL 40 years ago.

Its actually cringeworthy watching recently retired players trying to explain team defence to some of these dinosaurs when it has been common place for a decade.

cringeworthy is listening to McGuire & Dermie with their 80’s story’s. Eg Dermie riding his Harley into a night club or how many players he hit. And they both sit there & giggle like school kids. It’s why Sarah Jones is such a million times better host on fox than Eddie. She shuts this low brow primary school talk down.

90s McAvaney & post-2010s McAvaney are completely different commentators

Was one of the all time great callers of the sport

But f**k me his 2020 GF call was meek & lackluster. Especially when compared to some of the radio calls

I think he was told ... regarding the grand final. No more .. you just feels etc and that creepy grooming vibe he gives .
Grandfinal was his best work for a long long time because he didn’t let us know how he was feeling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone recall this?
Must of been an element of truth to it because the Triple M boys got wind of it and still give him s**t about it

Sarah Jones host
Jason Bennet calling
Jason Dunstall special comments
Sarah's good, her voice not the best.
Bennett sticks to commentating, which is good, but very bland. The producers like a bit of personality.
Dunstall misses a lot. I like Richo for special comments.

i think i heard all afl games will be broadcast from a central location in Melbourne? I imagine Bruce doesn't feel the same passion for it commentating remotely - even if he does it from SA? Cant imagine you would feel the same energy compared to being there or even sitting alongside your fellow commentators in Melbourne.

She is an absolute gorgeous soul of a woman

I did like her once as a football host and generally as a person

However my view changed dramatically about 2 years ago - last few years i havent got commercial TV ( because it is a load of rubbish ) just Foxtel - so i do miss out on the live GF game telecast

2 years ago the GF has just been played finished - and there is a count down clock to Foxtel coming on with their after game summary

So they are sitting in an outside setting of the MCG with about 7-8 minutes before they start - you have got S Jones - Gerrard Healy David King and i think Dermie - the 3 blokes are just going through their written notes etc

Now i know a woman wants to look her absolute best - understood - however in that 8 minutes - she had the makeup lady come out to her 3 or 4 times - with the mirror the comb the hair spray - and she was predantic about it - it was ridiculous

When i saw that vision - my view of her changed 360 degrees

I did like her once as a football host and generally as a person

However my view changed dramatically about 2 years ago - last few years i havent got commercial TV ( because it is a load of rubbish ) just Foxtel - so i do miss out on the live GF game telecast

2 years ago the GF has just been played finished - and there is a count down clock to Foxtel coming on with their after game summary

So they are sitting in an outside setting of the MCG with about 7-8 minutes before they start - you have got S Jones - Gerrard Healy David King and i think Dermie - the 3 blokes are just going through their written notes etc

Now i know a woman wants to look her absolute best - understood - however in that 8 minutes - she had the makeup lady come out to her 3 or 4 times - with the mirror the comb the hair spray - and she was predantic about it - it was ridiculous

When i saw that vision - my view of her changed 360 degrees
360 or 180?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back