Bruce McAvaney retires from commentary

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm a bit disappointed to see the disrespect for McAvaney following his announcement.

Criticism of his commentary over the last ~5 years have been valid, but upon retirement can't people just say nothing if you don't have anything nice to say?

For me him and Dennis (and Sandy to a lesser extent) are the voice of my footy childhood. So from a nostalgia/"* I'm getting old" perspective this is a real bummer.

And as others have said... you're going to regret your comments when you start getting more Brayshaw and McLachlan.

I did like her once as a football host and generally as a person

However my view changed dramatically about 2 years ago - last few years i havent got commercial TV ( because it is a load of rubbish ) just Foxtel - so i do miss out on the live GF game telecast

2 years ago the GF has just been played finished - and there is a count down clock to Foxtel coming on with their after game summary

So they are sitting in an outside setting of the MCG with about 7-8 minutes before they start - you have got S Jones - Gerrard Healy David King and i think Dermie - the 3 blokes are just going through their written notes etc

Now i know a woman wants to look her absolute best - understood - however in that 8 minutes - she had the makeup lady come out to her 3 or 4 times - with the mirror the comb the hair spray - and she was predantic about it - it was ridiculous

When i saw that vision - my view of her changed 360 degrees

Yep, clearly a reflection on her commentary ability and knowledge of the game...

Don't know about you, but I reckon everyone wants to be at their absolute best on Grand Final day. ;)

And as others have said... you're going to regret your comments when you start getting more Brayshaw and McLachlan.

I'm not sure why people keep saying this? We are all very familiar with the capabilities of the other commentators.

Dwayne, BT, Luke Darcy, McLachlan, Basil, Brayshaw.... Yeah, they aren't great. They can be annoying. They can make us cringe.

None of them are as bad as what 2010s Bruce was though. None even come close. Bruce made 2010s Friday Night Footy insufferable.

There is nothing to miss and nothing to regret.

I'm not sure why people keep saying this? We are all very familiar with the capabilities of the other commentators.

Dwayne, BT, Luke Darcy, McLachlan, Basil, Brayshaw.... Yeah, they aren't great. They can be annoying. They can make us cringe.

None of them are as bad as what 2010s Bruce was though. None even come close. Bruce made 2010s Friday Night Footy insufferable.

There is nothing to miss and nothing to regret.

nah

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love what Brayshaw did for North, but my oh my can he be painful in the commentary box. Comes across as incredibly disingenuous with that strained, blokey shriek of his.

Although Bruce had some cringe worthy moments over the years, in my humble opinion for the better part of his long and distinguished career, himself, Dennis Cometti and Sandy Roberts were the best at that trade. His knowledge of the AFL, the players and the clubs was first class.
So all your Bruce critics, now you have to listen to the worst voice in the history of commentary James Brayshaw... FMD wont that be a treat!

Although Bruce had some cringe worthy moments over the years, in my humble opinion for the better part of his long and distinguished career, himself, Dennis Cometti and Sandy Roberts were the best at that trade. His knowledge of the AFL, the players and the clubs was first class.
So all your Bruce critics, now you have to listen to the worst voice in the history of commentary James Brayshaw... FMD wont that be a treat!
Million times better then Bruce

I'm a bit disappointed to see the disrespect for McAvaney following his announcement.

Criticism of his commentary over the last ~5 years have been valid, but upon retirement can't people just say nothing if you don't have anything nice to say?

For me him and Dennis (and Sandy to a lesser extent) are the voice of my footy childhood. So from a nostalgia/"fu** I'm getting old" perspective this is a real bummer.

Concur. Moreover his replacement, Brayshaw, has reached Derrrrwayne levels with his commentary style. A popular drinking game of recent times was every time Brayshaw screams 'Unbelievable!' during a match. Probably the first time I heard my late father swear was when Lou Richard's described a Royce Hart towering mark and quick handball near the boundary line as 'unbelievable!'. Dad; "For *s sake Lou, unbelievable would be a player leaping 20 meters in the air over the banner at the start of the match!"....

Related - taking into account BT's ongoing nonsense, Eddie's previous occasional screeches becoming common and the bumbling women involved for no other reason than gender equality - it's clearly obvious that we (BF members and other similar footy tragics) are no longer the 'target audience' - that being the 'greater community' the AFL and it's broadcasters are seeking....

Footnote. While McAvaney's rhetorical style and player fawning comments became increasingly obvious/annoying we will never hear or see another commentator with the level of preparedness/research he offered.
The notebook/s he would bring to games are legendary and while not everyone cares that; 'You know his grandfather was the former Pies assistant coach who was with Dick Lee when they got on the wrong tram and both missed the 1st quarter of the 1921 Grand Final', his dedication to his craft cannot be disputed...

Last edited:
I love what Brayshaw did for North, but my oh my can he be painful in the commentary box. Comes across as incredibly disingenuous with that strained, blokey shriek of his.

In play he is a very good caller of the game.

He’s enthusiastic with a sense of humour in the right situation.

Doesn’t take himself too seriously

He’s goes ok

Incredibly disingenuous hey?

Do yourself a favour ..stop using the word disingenuous and just save it for special occasions.

Use it too much snd you run the risk of sounding disingenuous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back