Bruce McAvaney

Should Channel 7 Sack Bruce from the Commentary Team

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We are probably going to be bombarded by Hamish and BT more often

Trust me Bruce is more bearable than those two flogs
He's not. At least they don't ruin moments by having their own moment live on tv. Commentating is meant to be about the game, bruce became the complete opposite.

Channel 7 made the right call to have Bruces' replacement be JB and not Hamish or Darcy. JB and BT have a rare chemistry together that bring out the best in one another while off setting the weaknesses.

absolutely for two alpha males with reportedly very healthy egos their partnership for about 20 years on Mmm, 9 and 7 is great. They obviously have a calling style suited to the younger demographic so I understand they’re not everyone’s cup of tea but I think they’re well beyond fine. And I can see them hosting FNF for the next 20 years

looks like Luke Darcy will be an analyst on FNF instead of Bartel.
Will be interesting if JB does Saturday nights going forward

He's not. At least they don't ruin moments by having their own moment live on tv. Commentating is meant to be about the game, bruce became the complete opposite.
He declined a lot especially in the last few years. But in his prime he was a good caller. He harks back to an era when commentators didn’t make it known in any way who they barracked for (i think Bruce is an Adelaide supporter but I’m not 100% sure), when they were genuinely excited for good play regardless of who it was, and when they prepared for games so they knew the players they were calling (although Bruce went the extra mile because he made sure he knew the players well enough that he could give you their life story if the situation called for it and that was the same in any sport he called).

As I said he declined qui a bit in the last few years and the end has been coming for a while, but it’s also the end of an era, not just in football but Australian sport.

He has been living with leukaemia for a few years now so it’s more than likely health reason.
Think it got more to do with the Co-Vid uncertainty of travelling interstate. Easier just to retire at this point than have the challenge of going through that.
Also because of his illness he is actually vulnerable to that virus really hurting him, unlike most of us.

Also with COVID I believe the broadcasters have had commentators in multiple locations last year. I.e Bruce was calling from Adelaide I think while a lot of commentators were calling from Melbourne while the games were on in Queensland.

My guess is that it is non-COVID health reasons that is the cause of his sudden retirement on the eve of the season.

Also with COVID I believe the broadcasters have had commentators in multiple locations last year. I.e Bruce was calling from Adelaide I think while a lot of commentators were calling from Melbourne while the games were on in Queensland.

My guess is that it is non-COVID health reasons that is the cause of his sudden retirement on the eve of the season.
They've been calling games off TV for years.

And I can see them hosting FNF for the next 20 years
BT will be turning 59 this year and JB 54, so they aren't exactly spring chickens themselves. It'll probably be the next 10 years at the most. Bruce was 67 this year and Dennis was also 67 when he retired from channel 7 in 2016. Although it's funny to think about much energy a 79 year old BT will have left in 2041. lol.

Last edited: