Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
Is it time to sack Bruce McAvaney ?
His commentary has become really poor and adds nothing to the games these days.

I thought last final series his commentary was very poor, and two games in this final series
and he seems worst.

His commentating is taking away from the game experience

I didn’t mind him but he’s past hisnorime and it’s hard to listen to now.

I will never forgive MacAvaney for ruining the commentary of Buddy's goal against Adelaide a few years ago

"Where are you Bruce, I need you right now" or words to that effect.

Good example of him being finished. Just forgot the basics and instead of calling the amazing play, made it about commentary personalities. He's been cooked for years now. Commentary needs an overhaul but that won't happen at 7. They need to lose the rights for it to improve.

They'd probably replace him with Barry Hall or at best another bland former key forward that has no real insight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bruce has taken it to new heights tonight with his hero worshipping. Pendlebury knocks the ball to someone who handballs it back. "Pendlebury oh so clever"... Pendles has plenty of time to choose his options and puts it straight onto Bonner's (opposition) chest (except Bonner chose to go the double handed punch for some reason).

In between hyperventilating and words coming out, sometimes Bruce needs to think about what he's saying and why he's saying it. If Joe Bumpkin had've done the same thing Bruce wouldn't even notice.

Bruce has taken it to new heights tonight with his hero worshipping. Pendlebury knocks the ball to someone who handballs it back. "Pendlebury oh so clever"... Pendles has plenty of time to choose his options and puts it straight onto Bonner's (opposition) chest (except Bonner chose to go the double handed punch for some reason).

In between hyperventilating and words coming out, sometimes Bruce needs to think about what he's saying and why he's saying it. If Joe Bumpkin had've done the same thing Bruce wouldn't even notice.
Yeah the over-egging of the moment even when certain players do basic things. It's my pet hate of commentary generally these days and Bruce is the worst offender.

Like yeah, Charlie Dixon took a chest mark. You don't need to wet your pants about it. Dusty picked it up and gave it to a teammate. It's fine, we can all see it.

Yeah the over-egging of the moment even when certain players do basic things. It's my pet hate of commentary generally these days and Bruce is the worst offender.

Like yeah, Charlie Dixon took a chest mark. You don't need to wet your pants about it. Dusty picked it up and gave it to a teammate. It's fine, we can all see it.
Yep, he's cringe worthy.

In a game last week, Dusty and a player were standing side by side.
The ball was kicked to Dusty's advantage he took a simple chest mark.

Bruce screamed "Dusty just rag dolled him".
It was embarrassing.

Yep, he's cringe worthy.

In a game last week, Dusty and a player were standing side by side.
The ball was kicked to Dusty's advantage he took a simple chest mark.

Bruce screamed "Dusty just rag dolled him".
It was embarrassing.
Even when they get it and make a mistake he loses his rag. If Charlie Cameron snaps and misses, Bruce is edging himself to within an inch of his life with a load ready to go.

I don't listen to them much these days, but I did happen to have the TV on for awhile in the Saints' most recent game. At one time a Saints player was having a shot which was clearly wide, and fading away, missing by at least 3-4 metres, and Bruce was screaming, "Is it coming baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack", even after it had gone through. It never looked like a goal, but Bruce was treating it like a photo finish in the Melbourne Cup. I guess they're paid to make the game sound interesting, but fake enthusiasm doesn't work for me.

Bruce was great when he did the SANFL many years ago, it's hard to reconcile it's the same guy calling the AFL.

Last edited: