Bruce says "Gary Ablett, he's struggling" - nek minute - 9 unanswered goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Even if GAJ is "struggling" by his own very high standards, he is still better than 99% of the competition.

Hope he goes again next year.
It will take a massive about turn by Gary. He’s on record saying this is the last season

I laughed out loud when Bruce said that , t’was so ridiculous - Ablett had been one of our better players to that time. Many of the team had been fumbling the ball (quite greasy conditions) and when Ablett had his turn it was kind of ‘... bring out the Vet, the screen and the gun!’

Having said that ...
Bruce has been a very good sports commentator over such a long time (and was a great foil to Dennis C). Not Sir Martin Tyler level, sure, but very good. Bruce looks a bit frail actually - I genuinely hope he’s okay.

I laughed out loud when Bruce said that , t’was so ridiculous - Ablett had been one of our better players to that time. Many of the team had been fumbling the ball (quite greasy conditions) and when Ablett had his turn it was kind of ‘... bring out the Vet, the screen and the gun!’

Having said that ...
Bruce has been a very good sports commentator over such a long time (and was a great foil to Dennis C). Not Sir Martin Tyler level, sure, but very good. Bruce looks a bit frail actually - I genuinely hope he’s okay.
Can't agree on Bruce, he is a prat. Falls in love with one player from one team each game and of course loved Cyril forever. Then he can't see past their poor efforts. And that swarmy voice is just plain creepy. On Thursday night he just kept on with irrelevant dribble , one of which was pointed out in the opening of this thread.

I'm elevating it to number 3 in the "egg on face" moments. Jeff Kennett 2009 owns number one spot followed by Tim Lane 2010. I'm elevation Bruce to number 3.

That Bulldogs game was soooo good. Love beating them, love watching Pods destroy Lake, love watching the despair on Eades face,love watching our great players having fun and winning.

Having said that ...

Unfortunately, due to the rapid decline of the game, some of the better commentators have been forced to make it sound more exciting than it is. Bruce has been notorious for over-exaggerating most plays. Can't blame him though. What we are currently witnessing right now in the St Kilda vs. Fremantle match is what we were use to seeing almost every 2nd or 3rd game on the weekend.
These days, they happen maybe once every month during an entire season.

Having said that ...
Bruce has leukemia I believe, and has done for several years. He was fumbling with his words on Thursday night, not something I recall him doing previously. It was a bit concerning knowing his health battle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The media wrote off his old man midway through season 1996 as the week prior, he did some unthinkable things (missed a goal at the top of the goal square dead in front).

The next week against premiership favourites West Coast, he booted 7 goals :)

David King 2011 is up there too. Hard to find the AFL360 video because he/fox keep taking it down.
I took it down not fox, sorry. YouTube did an update which ****ed up my videos and I deleted because they weren't the quality I had produced.

Hope the memory of the video is enough to make you smile :)

Nine things we learned:

5. There's only one man you want delivering inside 50

You can have your Josh Kelly, Hugh McCluggage or Marcus Bontempelli options. But Geelong champion Gary Ablett is the one player in the competition you want with the last kick inside 50. With potentially only 11 games left, Ablett was at his champagne best against Brisbane on Thursday night. Backing up off a five-day break in game 351, the 36-year-old kicked the opening goal from 50m then provided two direct goal assists to keep Geelong in the game in the second term. He then finished off an important goal on the run from 48m as part of Geelong's unanswered seven-goal third quarter. Very few have the poise across half-forward of Ablett, buying time and space when collecting disposal and giving his fellow forwards predictability in their leading channels. - Mitch Cleary

Bruce has leukemia I believe, and has done for several years. He was fumbling with his words on Thursday night, not something I recall him doing previously. It was a bit concerning knowing his health battle.

It is true that Bruce wasn't even at the SCG on Thursday night, he was commentating from Adelaide via video link ?

It is true that Bruce wasn't even at the SCG on Thursday night, he was commentating from Adelaide via video link ?
Yep - or at least that's how things were working during the early parts of the restart

The commentators aren't always at the game nor in the same room

No one was at the SCG. Maybe a local radio crew for the ABC but that's about it.

There's a reason why the same boundary reporters are used at the same grounds. They can't fly people in/out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back