Team Captain
Mar 26, 2009
Whoville
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, BorussiaDortmund
Wow last Saturday no 1 hey!?

Yeh...it just may be because it so fresh in the memory and I had so much fun, but I can't imagine feeling much better than I did whilst waving my hands above my head during Bobby Jean.

I loved it.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
If someone told me 10 years ago (or even when I opened this thread), told me I would have seen him 14 times, I'd have laughed in their face, and never have believed them. We were blessed, and missing out for so long more than made up for it in the last few years.

Melbourne 2, 2014 is by far the best show I have seen. It had everything for me. I was emotionally and physically overwhelmed come the end of it. Born To Run in full was always going to be the perfect thing. Add Growin' Up, Flood, and an absolutely blistering opening quartet of BIT USA, Badlands, Lucky Town and Roulette was incredible. I wept through all of Thunder Road, managed to regain my composure during Tenth and Night all before the floodgates opened during Backstreets - which will always be the highlight of my concert going life - for now. With the ever so dark Meeting going into an extended Jungleland, everything was perfect.

Melbourne 1, 2014 was also great. While the setlist was more mainstream, it is probably the most fun show I have been to. When I heard USA was going to be played I was a bit blah about it, but come the end of the show, I'd never enjoyed myself more at a show.

Melbourne 2, 2017 was one of the best I've seen too - whether it's third best or not, I don't know, but it was a heck of a show. While I may have been at the back of the pit, I was in good company and was absolutely loving life. I'm Goin Down topped it off and I had an all round great time.

Sydney 2, 2017 will always be a special show. Potentially my last show. I'd met more friends, and Bobby Jean tipped over the edge when I realised it may well and truly be the end. The lyrics, the friends, the emotion and everything just hit me like a freight train. It's something I'll always remember.

Hope Estate 1, 2014 would be the worst if I had to rank them.

Sydney 2014 (Darkness show), was ******* epic in so many ways. Definitely near the top.

Melbourne 3, 2013 was also great. Long Walk Home, My Love, Flood, Youngstown, Jungleland.

paddy18

Team Captain
Mar 26, 2009
Whoville
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
I

Melbourne 2, 2014 is by far the best show I have seen.

I'm sure that I would probably feel the same way if I had been positioned in the pit where you were. However, I was in the stands (albeit in the lower level in the first section in front of the stage) and I had my wife and two kids with me (10yo and 8yo). By the end of that 3hr 48min epic, I was virtually holding the kids up and pulling their ears to keep them awake.

I was as jealous as hell looking down on the pit.

It would have been nice to see Bruce at the Perth, Sydney and Brisbane venues as well......next time maybe.

Last edited:

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
I'm sure that I would probably feel the same way if I had been positioned in the pit where you were. However, I was in the stands (albeit in the lower level in the first section in front of the stage) and I had my wife and two kids with me (10yo and 8yo). By the end of that 3hr 48min epic, I was virtually holding the kids up and pulling their ears to keep them awake.

I was as jealous as hell looking down on the pit.

Got admit that it would have been nice to see Bruce at the Perth, Sydney and Brisbane venues as well......next time maybe.
Yeah, it all changes when you're in the pit. No way I enjoy a show that much in seats (done it once for Bruce at HR1 with my mate), spent the whole time dancing and singing, but would have been better in the pit etc.

Sydney 2 last week was very sad. I had made friends with some Swedes in Melbourne, and one of them ended up rooming with me, so we were near each other in the pit. I was a little further in front of him, but once Shout came on, I went back (only a few people haha), and we enjoyed Shout together. Then he did Bobby Jean and we were both sad. It was just so upsetting saying goodbye to Americans, Germans, Swedes, Norwegians and so on and knowing I may never see them ever again. It really hit home.

Aug 2, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Packers, Bulls, Ducks, Angels
Because the Night is such a cracking live song. It's the kind of song that the casuals don't know, yet by the end of it they're out of their seats rocking along with the hardcores to a song they'd never heard in their lIves.

Huh? The Patti Smith version is a very popular and well known song.

OnceWeWereKings

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Over the past 6 days, I've found myself watching video after video of last Saturday Night's Hanging Rock gig, tearing up at the realisation that I'll probably never see anything like that again.

I have now seen Bruce 14 times over 6 different tours (with 32 years between No. 1 & No. 13) and I'd previously rated the pair of Adelaide gigs in 2014 as my favourites, but last Saturday night was on another level. I could tell about 3-4 songs in that this was something really special and it just got better and better. The Bobby Jean and solo acoustic Thunder Road ending is an absolute winner.

With regards to the past 3 tours, I'd rank the concerts that I have attended as follows:

1. Hanging Rock 2017

daylight

2. Adelaide 2 2014
3. Adelaide 1 2014
4. Rod Laver Arena 1 2013 (first Bruce gig since 2003)
5. Hanging Rock 2 2013
6. Rod Laver Arena 3 2013
7. Hanging Rock 1 2013
8. Adelaide 2017
9, Rod Laver Arena 2 2013
10. AAMI Park 2 2014
11. AAMI Park 1 2014.

Just my take on things. Everybody is going to have different ranking based on setlists, their position in the pit or the stands, the venue and even the attitude of the people around them

Truth be known, I have loved every single Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band concert that I have been lucky enough to attend (even The Rising tour gig at Docklands in 2003).

We are all so fortunate to have had the opportunity to see him do what he does best....it really has been a life changing experience.

Have to agree, the Showgrounds in '85 will always hold a special place in my heart. As a 17 year old kid who slept out to get tickets, to heariing Bruce and that band open up with BITUSA....it has changed and shaped my life.

I have seen him play every Melbourne show since then, including solo acoustic at the Palais, I have been lucky enough to see them play Madison Square Gardens, but Hanging Rock last Saturday night was special for me.

That 17 year old kid has now evolved to be a 49 year old man....the 16 year old girlfriend I took to that Showgrounds show is now my wife and has been my life companion, we have had two wonderful sons together who are 26 & 19.

To be able to stand in that beautiful place, with that same wonderful woman as I did in 85, and listen and dance to the music that was played is just so special.

I have loved her more and more each day that we have spent together, I have loved Bruce & that band from the moment I heard them play that first note all those years ago.

That bumpy wonderful road of the life that I have lived makes last Saturday night magical in my eyes.

It also has me reflect that we are blessed to be able to share a life with those that are as gifted and talented as Bruce Springsteen and that band.

paddy18

Team Captain
Mar 26, 2009
Whoville
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Have to agree, the Showgrounds in '85 will always hold a special place in my heart. As a 17 year old kid who slept out to get tickets, to heariing Bruce and that band open up with BITUSA....it has changed and shaped my life.

I have seen him play every Melbourne show since then, including solo acoustic at the Palais, I have been lucky enough to see them play Madison Square Gardens, but Hanging Rock last Saturday night was special for me.

That 17 year old kid has now evolved to be a 49 year old man....the 16 year old girlfriend I took to that Showgrounds show is now my wife and has been my life companion, we have had two wonderful sons together who are 26 & 19.

To be able to stand in that beautiful place, with that same wonderful woman as I did in 85, and listen and dance to the music that was played is just so special.

I have loved her more and more each day that we have spent together, I have loved Bruce & that band from the moment I heard them play that first note all those years ago.

That bumpy wonderful road of the life that I have lived makes last Saturday night magical in my eyes.

It also has me reflect that we are blessed to be able to share a life with those that are as gifted and talented as Bruce Springsteen and that band.

Great post.

The Showgrounds in 1985 was my first big concert. I was 16 at the time and although it was 32 years ago, I can still clearly remember nearly every second of it. We somehow managed to fluke a great spot leaning up against the rail next to the trotting track, with a clear and uninterrupted view across to the stage, directly adjacent one of the two little platforms that he walked out a few times, about 20 metres in front of the main stage. During the encore, he was out there doing the whole "what i wanna know..........what I really, really wanna know...............what I neeeeeeeed to know" shtick, and I felt like he was looking and staring right at at me (from a distance of about 40 metres), when he launched into "Do You LOOOOOVE Me?"...and I lost my s**t. I pledged my undying love and allegiance right there and then.

Other fond memories of that gig:

- The sound of Roy's piano ringing out in the clear autumn night in Racing the Street.
- The ridiculously oversized cowboy hats in Cadillac Ranch
- Staring at the giant 4'n'Twenty "pie in the sky" at the showgrounds during the opening of BITUSA and thinking "WOW! We are finally here"
- The story told before The River ("everybody should have place that they can call their own")
- 40,000 people singing along to Rockin' All Over the World.
- Shut Out the Light (one of favourites at the time)
- "Nowhere to Run to Babyyyyy! Got Nowhere to Hide!" ringing out in the darkness before the stage lit up and they launched into Cover Me to start the second set

In hindsight, this setlist still stacks up pretty well besides some of the modern gigs, even though it only includes tunes from 5 albums, with a few "B" sides and some covers thrown in.

A wonderful, wonderful night.

3rd April 1985, Royal Melbourne Showgrounds.
  1. Born in the U.S.A.
  2. Darlington County
  3. Out in the Street
  4. Working on the Highway
  5. Johnny 99
  6. Atlantic City
  7. The River
  8. Shut Out the Light
  9. Johnny Bye-Bye
  10. Prove It All Night
  11. Glory Days
  12. The Promised Land
  13. My Hometown
  14. Badlands
  15. Thunder Road
  16. Cover Me
  17. Dancing in the Dark
  18. Hungry Heart
  19. Cadillac Ranch
  20. Downbound Train
  21. I'm on Fire
  22. Pink Cadillac
  23. Bobby Jean
  24. Racing in the Street
  25. Can't Help Falling in Love (Elvis Presley cover)
  26. Born to Run
  27. Ramrod
  28. I'm a Rocker
  29. Rockin' All Over the World (John Fogerty cover)
  30. Twist and Shout (The Top Notes cover)
  31. Do You Love Me? (The Contours cover)

Last edited:
Yeah, it all changes when you're in the pit. No way I enjoy a show that much in seats (done it once for Bruce at HR1 with my mate), spent the whole time dancing and singing, but would have been better in the pit etc.

Sydney 2 last week was very sad. I had made friends with some Swedes in Melbourne, and one of them ended up rooming with me, so we were near each other in the pit. I was a little further in front of him, but once Shout came on, I went back (only a few people haha), and we enjoyed Shout together. Then he did Bobby Jean and we were both sad. It was just so upsetting saying goodbye to Americans, Germans, Swedes, Norwegians and so on and knowing I may never see them ever again. It really hit home.
I met an old couple, Cliff, and Christine who first saw Bruce in the early 70s at the Bottom Line, and had spent forty years following him around the world. By their reckoning they've seen him nearly 200 times.
bruce-springsteen-bn003pcun.jpg

The lady in the glasses is Christine in 1975.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
If someone told me 10 years ago (or even when I opened this thread), told me I would have seen him 14 times, I'd have laughed in their face, and never have believed them. We were blessed, and missing out for so long more than made up for it in the last few years.

Melbourne 2, 2014 is by far the best show I have seen. It had everything for me. I was emotionally and physically overwhelmed come the end of it. Born To Run in full was always going to be the perfect thing. Add Growin' Up, Flood, and an absolutely blistering opening quartet of BIT USA, Badlands, Lucky Town and Roulette was incredible. I wept through all of Thunder Road, managed to regain my composure during Tenth and Night all before the floodgates opened during Backstreets - which will always be the highlight of my concert going life - for now. With the ever so dark Meeting going into an extended Jungleland, everything was perfect.

Melbourne 1, 2014 was also great. While the setlist was more mainstream, it is probably the most fun show I have been to. When I heard USA was going to be played I was a bit blah about it, but come the end of the show, I'd never enjoyed myself more at a show.

Melbourne 2, 2017 was one of the best I've seen too - whether it's third best or not, I don't know, but it was a heck of a show. While I may have been at the back of the pit, I was in good company and was absolutely loving life. I'm Goin Down topped it off and I had an all round great time.

Sydney 2, 2017 will always be a special show. Potentially my last show. I'd met more friends, and Bobby Jean tipped over the edge when I realised it may well and truly be the end. The lyrics, the friends, the emotion and everything just hit me like a freight train. It's something I'll always remember.

Hope Estate 1, 2014 would be the worst if I had to rank them.

Sydney 2014 (Darkness show), was ******* epic in so many ways. Definitely near the top.

Melbourne 3, 2013 was also great. Long Walk Home, My Love, Flood, Youngstown, Jungleland.

Still can't believe that recording or autocue problems or wtf it was....meant we never got a Melbourne 2 recording.

Noticed someone bitching about it on the official website this week.

Sep 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, Denver, MVFC

What a fantastic post

(Log in to remove this ad.)

richo's dodgy hammy

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
manchester united

Great post.

The Showgrounds in 1985 was my first big concert. I was 16 at the time and although it was 32 years ago, I can still clearly remember nearly every second of it. We somehow managed to fluke a great spot leaning up against the rail next to the trotting track, with a clear and uninterrupted view across to the stage, directly adjacent one of the two little platforms that he walked out a few times, about 20 metres in front of the main stage. During the encore, he was out there doing the whole "what i wanna know..........what I really, really wanna know...............what I neeeeeeeed to know" shtick, and I felt like he was looking and staring right at at me (from a distance of about 40 metres), when he launched into "Do You LOOOOOVE Me?"...and I lost my s**t. I pledged my undying love and allegiance right there and then.

Other fond memories of that gig:

- The sound of Roy's piano ringing out in the clear autumn night in Racing the Street.
- The ridiculously oversized cowboy hats in Cadillac Ranch
- Staring at the giant 4'n'Twenty "pie in the sky" at the showgrounds during the opening of BITUSA and thinking "WOW! We are finally here"
- The story told before The River ("everybody should have place that they can call their own")
- 40,000 people singing along to Rockin' All Over the World.
- Shut Out the Light (one of favourites at the time)
- "Nowhere to Run to Babyyyyy! Got Nowhere to Hide!" ringing out in the darkness before the stage lit up and they launched into Cover Me to start the second set

In hindsight, this setlist still stacks up pretty well besides some of the modern gigs, even though it only includes tunes from 5 albums, with a few "B" sides and some covers thrown in.

A wonderful, wonderful night.

3rd April 1985, Royal Melbourne Showgrounds.
  1. Born in the U.S.A.
  2. Darlington County
  3. Out in the Street
  4. Working on the Highway
  5. Johnny 99
  6. Atlantic City
  7. The River
  8. Shut Out the Light
  9. Johnny Bye-Bye
  10. Prove It All Night
  11. Glory Days
  12. The Promised Land
  13. My Hometown
  14. Badlands
  15. Thunder Road
  16. Cover Me
  17. Dancing in the Dark
  18. Hungry Heart
  19. Cadillac Ranch
  20. Downbound Train
  21. I'm on Fire
  22. Pink Cadillac
  23. Bobby Jean
  24. Racing in the Street
  25. Can't Help Falling in Love (Elvis Presley cover)
  26. Born to Run
  27. Ramrod
  28. I'm a Rocker
  29. Rockin' All Over the World (John Fogerty cover)
  30. Twist and Shout (The Top Notes cover)
  31. Do You Love Me? (The Contours cover)

My mum went to that concert, I was only 13 at the time. She raved about it so much, I had to check this Springsteen out for myself. My love of Springsteen was born the next day.

This is why you gotta love the Boss - relaxed enough to share the limelight. And the cheekier the sign's in Oz are, the better chance to get on stage it appears this tour.

And it was the second time up on stage with the Boss for Nathan

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4236818/Bruce-Springsteen-fan-let-stage-sing-Growin-up.htm
With shaking hands, Nathan got his phone out of his pocket to take a selfie with his hero. After asking his name, Springsteen told the audience: 'I have seen the future of rock 'n' roll, and his name is Nathan Testa.'

The Boss then immediately launched into the next song - seemingly without remembering he had already met the 'future of rock' in the past. In 2013, the Courier-Mail reported an 11-year-old named Nathan Testa was invited on stage to sing 'Waitin' on a sunny day' with Springsteen. 'I was that happy I started crying; I had a little tear in my eye,' Nathan said at the time.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4236818/Bruce-Springsteen-fan-let-stage-sing-Growin-up.htm

Probably the best thing I have ever read on Bigfooty in the 12.5 years I have been on here.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Really?

Was it noticeable...and does it happen often???
You could tell he was wasted during the show. He came out and said "I'm late to my own show!" :D

He'd been out drinking and wake up an hour before the show IIRC.

He did a lot of story telling/sitting (the Growin' Up story he told sitting down and it went for 10 minutes. Also said 5am in the afternoon or something). His voice was also more hoarse than normal (not a bad thing for me). But he definitely was not sober.

The only show I that hasn't been released since they started doing it that I am aware of.

I started playing Tracks - 18 song album the weekend before the Adelaide gig and continued on high rotation each weekend. Gotta ask myself, how the * did I ignore I Wanna Be With You for so long? Should have been on The River!!!

Sep 10, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
You could tell he was wasted during the show. He came out and said "I'm late to my own show!" :D

He'd been out drinking and wake up an hour before the show IIRC.

He did a lot of story telling/sitting (the Growin' Up story he told sitting down and it went for 10 minutes. Also said 5am in the afternoon or something). His voice was also more hoarse than normal (not a bad thing for me). But he definitely was not sober.

The only show I that hasn't been released since they started doing it that I am aware of.

On the sauce with Eddie Vedder will do that!

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
I started playing Tracks - 18 song album the weekend before the Adelaide gig and continued on high rotation each weekend. Gotta ask myself, how the **** did I ignore I Wanna Be With You for so long? Should have been on The River!!!

I have all the Australian shows available so far (up to M2), and I'll be getting the rest. I can give them to anybody who wants them.

Both Syd are up now.....

BTW, is there a way of re-downloading a single track?

Something went wrong with one in my Adel download, and I only have the first half of it.

If I go to 'My Downloads' on the website it says Download Expired....

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back