Bruce William McAvaney - The always updating Quotes Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

This. If you ever want to remember just how good he was at capturing the moment way back when check this clip out...

Before he became all camp and s**t he was an amazing caller (and not only of football but arguably one of the greatest athletics callers of all time)

Can imagine Bruce nowadays on Snr: "Jeez aren't those thighs looking tender and juicy. HNNNGGGG"

I'm sure he's just commentating how he's told.
He must be told to use his Bruce-isms as much as possible. 15 years ago you didn't hear clever, special etc. all the often and would only be said when the word actually had meaning and was in context with the play and the moment.

He's still a good commentator. At the London Olympics he did the swimming and was still pretty good despite the fact he wasn't doing the Athletics.

For me Bruce of the 90s-Early 00s is the best footy commentator I've ever heard. When there was a big game with a big moment you wanted him commentating. He added even more to the already great moments. Look at the Moorcroft mark. Yes, it's one of the all time great marks, but it's even better and even more memorable thanks to his commentary. You look a the big moments of any sport in history and most of them have memorable commentary to add to it. Sadly after 2007 he went in the complete opposite direction and we've only ever seen glimpses of his former self.

He must be told to use his Bruce-isms as much as possible. 15 years ago you didn't hear clever, special etc. all the often and would only be said when the word actually had meaning and was in context with the play and the moment.
I can't remember him asking all the monotonous rhetorical questions, either. It's such a terrible habit he has got himself into.

He's still a good commentator. At the London Olympics he did the swimming and was still pretty good despite the fact he wasn't doing the Athletics.

For me Bruce of the 90s-Early 00s is the best footy commentator I've ever heard. When there was a big game with a big moment you wanted him commentating. He added even more to the already great moments. Look at the Moorcroft mark. Yes, it's one of the all time great marks, but it's even better and even more memorable thanks to his commentary. You look a the big moments of any sport in history and most of them have memorable commentary to add to it. Sadly after 2007 he went in the complete opposite direction and we've only ever seen glimpses of his former self.

I agree completely with your post, but think he dropped away even before 2007, at least in some fields.

At Athens in 2004 I couldn't get over how underwhelming he was in the swimming events. Yes, I think it was the first time he had called the swimming at an Olympic Games (and he was far better during the athletics), but in some races he'd call the closing 25 metres in a final like it was a heat.

At Athens in 2004 I couldn't get over how underwhelming he was in the swimming events. Yes, I think it was the first time he had called the swimming at an Olympic Games (and he was far better during the athletics), but in some races he'd call the closing 25 metres in a final like it was a heat.
So much this. In Beijing 08 there was one of the women's swimming relays where the Australians massively upset the Americans in the final and when I first walked in I thought it was just a heat or semi with the incredibly unenthusiastic manner in which he was calling it. Pretty much any other commentator in that situation would be going nuts.

Maybe he needed blokes in budgie smugglers swimming to get excited about the sport.

So much this. In Beijing 08 there was one of the women's swimming relays where the Australians massively upset the Americans in the final and when I first walked in I thought it was just a heat or semi with the incredibly unenthusiastic manner in which he was calling it. Pretty much any other commentator in that situation would be going nuts.

Maybe he needed blokes in budgie smugglers swimming to get excited about the sport.
Yeah the 4 x 200m. In many of those races he commentated the finish like it was Kane Mitchell kicking the first goal of a Port versus GWS match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm certain Channel 7 have done focus groups with "the man on the street" and found out that an informative call is much less entertaining than the cliche ridden, homoerotic, rhetorical-questioning, broken record parody of a caller that he has become.

If he and Dwayne ever got in the box together it could be the end of civilisation as we know it.
"You just get the feeling if you shout a bit louder it might make it more exciting, don't you think Dwayne?"

"You just get the feeling if you shout a bit louder it might make it more exciting, don't you think Dwayne?"

It would be the equivalent of crossing the streams. There would be chaos balls and fire starters everywhere wouldn't there Leigh?

If he and Dwayne ever got in the box together it could be the end of civilisation as we know it.
Come on BT and Dwayne is the winning combination. Then to tick the fans off have bruce doing special comments

Remove this Banner Ad

Back