Bruce William McAvaney - The always updating Quotes Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

See, I think it's actually a bizarre form of worship as opposed to asexual thing, so rather than the Heff Scenario, I imagine Bruce has a secret basement where he keeps life-sized wax recreations of athletes. By night he visits them and gets close but not TOO close - he never touches them, he can't allow himself to touch.
Last night he broke all the rules.

lz0Evts_zpsejldialv.gif

See, I think it's actually a bizarre form of worship as opposed to asexual thing, so rather than the Heff Scenario, I imagine Bruce has a secret basement where he keeps life-sized wax recreations of athletes. By night he visits them and gets close but not TOO close - he never touches them, he can't allow himself to touch.

Ah I see kind of like a celibate catholic priest in a room full of wax choir boys....wonderful.

Bruce:
"Lining up from good distance, it's just in his range I reckon. Now if he scores this, you'd think they're a real chance wouldn't you? GEE THAT'S A GREAT KICK!"
"THEY ARE HOME"
"SPECIAL....VERY SPECIAL!!"
"Delicious"

Dennis:
"Tries to dispose it, ricochets off the leg, soccer's the ball up in the air and OHHH takes a one hander if you don't mind"
"Rocca, like my wife driving, needs a fair bit of lane"
"Like a cork in the ocean"
"Caught between a rock and a hard place"
"Alan Didak was Stevie J before Stevie J was Stevie J"

BT:
WELLINGHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMM!
BOY OH BOYYYY WOW WEE, YOU LIKED THAT ONE DIDN'T YA RICHO?
That. Nearly. Missed....the boot.
BA-NA-NA-NAAAAAAA
"THAAAAAAAATS ONE OF THE BIGGEST BENDERS I'VE EVER SEEN IN MY ENTIRE LIFE"

Richo:

"There's a fair bit of mayo on that BT"
"The further back you get, the narrower the goal posts look"
"That ball is hard to mark. Just floating everywhere"

Dwayne:
*anything that comes out his mouth*

Last edited:
"Suckling in a beautiful spot, gets the goal, comes on the ground." Sorry but that was a deliberate comment and it wasn't his first or last of the day involving the same word, used in a certain context.

Next time he should put his glasses on when playing 'pin the tail on the donkey' with Cyril, or whatever it is they're doing:

Bruce.png

There's a few captions in that pic...

Last edited:
Christ that was a bad call by Bruce yesterday. He's the only bloke that can manage to make an AFL Grand Final seem as soft as butter by the way he calls it. I quite literally would have preferred to listen to Rompingwins call the big dance. Dennis is rapidly reaching his used by date, also. Time for a fresh crop of callers.

Also, why does Bruce ALWAYS seem to get to call the final moments leading up to the final siren on Grand Final day? I'm not sure if I can recall Dennis ever calling the last moments of a Grand Final.

Christ that was a bad call by Bruce yesterday. He's the only bloke that can manage to make an AFL Grand Final seem as soft as butter by the way he calls it. I quite literally would have preferred to listen to Rompingwins call the big dance. Dennis is rapidly reaching his used by date, also. Time for a fresh crop of callers.

Also, why does Bruce ALWAYS seem to get to call the final moments leading up to the final siren on Grand Final day? I'm not sure if I can recall Dennis ever calling the last moments of a Grand Final.

He really f***ed the last few seconds up with his "back... to back... to back" call. Huddo did it much better a decade and change ago

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"They're cumming a bit I reckon"
in a deep, guttural tone after Hutchings goaled in the 3rd qtr

I agree that Bruce's call on the final siren was horrific, but his commentary on the Hodge goal was epic and a throwback to his halcyon days of the 90s/early 00's.

I agree that Bruce's call on the final siren was horrific, but his commentary on the Hodge goal was epic and a throwback to his halcyon days of the 90s/early 00's.

You're right, great passion. For some reason the call reminded me of his superb commentary on Robbie Ahmat's 2000 Goal of the Year against the Roos at the G. Only thing that bloke ever did!

It's a shame because listening to him call the olympics he is still easily one of the best, I reckon 7 has a bit to do with his commentary for the footy.

When you're calling a race, you need to fit in as much information as possible in a brief period of time. Not necessary in a game of football, although you wouldn't know it the way they all babble on.

I agree he does a great job in the Olympics, certainly has a sound knowledge of athletes, but I have been amused by several things. Everyone gets of to a good start, and I especially like it when he says, "He comes out of the blocks running". What else would he be doing except running? Also, one 400m race involving an Australian woman, Bruce kept on about how she was looking very good even though other runners had left her behind :)

But, it can't be easy, especially knowing you are projecting to a world wide audience, so he does a pretty good job.

When you're calling a race, you need to fit in as much information as possible in a brief period of time. Not necessary in a game of football, although you wouldn't know it the way they all babble on.

I agree he does a great job in the Olympics, certainly has a sound knowledge of athletes, but I have been amused by several things. Everyone gets of to a good start, and I especially like it when he says, "He comes out of the blocks running". What else would he be doing except running? Also, one 400m race involving an Australian woman, Bruce kept on about how she was looking very good even though other runners had left her behind :)

But, it can't be easy, especially knowing you are projecting to a world wide audience, so he does a pretty good job.
He is still a good caller if not very bias.

As far as the AFL is concerned he clearly camps it up for some reason, there's no way he would say some of the stuff and make some of the noises he does naturally.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back