Remove this Banner Ad

Adz

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yay or nay?

I think he's done a pretty good job in his 'first real test' as Premier.
Will it score him brownie points come the next election or will it be forgotten?

Thoughts

Nay.

For no other reason than his cynical parading around in a CFA suit.

I don't think the government really has anything to do with this one way or the other.

Nay.

For no other reason than his cynical parading around in a CFA suit.

I don't think the government really has anything to do with this one way or the other.

Bzzzzzz - wrong

NO ONE is allowed in a designated Fire Zone unless they are wearing Personal Protective Equipment (including politicians)

Well somebody forgot to tell Kev.

fires_brumby-420x0.jpg

Incidentally, it probably was the circuit breaker that Vic Labor needed. Not through the strength of anything that has come out of Spring Street these last three weeks, but through the less attention paid to general state government incompetence and day to day ****-ups

If I was to evaulate it I would say it was good ...

... but why the **** would you evaluate it unless you were some parasitic *** ***** of a human being who ****** ******** for pleasure?

You Labor party plants are quite disgusting.

Yay or nay?

I think he's done a pretty good job in his 'first real test' as Premier.
Will it score him brownie points come the next election or will it be forgotten?

Thoughts

Huge fail by the labor party under Bracks/Brumby.

Believe me I grew up in those areas and the lack of planning and prevention under labor has been a disgrace as they pandered to the green vote at the expense of common sense fire prevention. You used to have to clear your block or the council did it and charged you, now nothing is done. Fire breaks have not been maintained, road sides have not been kept clear.

Long time locals know that it has all been allowed to occur under labor and it is all going to come out at the Royal Commission (remember the State govts is quite happy to put planning rules over the top of councils when it suits them so they have no get out clause there).

I don't know how Burmby and his labor mates sleep at night knowing that their inactivity and pandering to the green vote helped contribute to this disaster. Just cos you cry lots, show sympathy and throw some cash around does not mean you did a good job. A good job would have been having much better fire prevention plans in place in the first place, they did not and for that they stand condemed.

The lack of clearing is not a Government issue, because it also didn't happen under Jeff, like it didn't under Hamer before Ash Wednesday.

What the Royal Commission determines will be important.

You can't deny that 12 years of severe drought and the
impact of firebugs though.

The lack of clearing is not a Government issue, because it also didn't happen under Jeff, like it didn't under Hamer before Ash Wednesday.

What the Royal Commission determines will be important.

You can't deny that 12 years of severe drought and the
impact of firebugs though.

All the more reason to maintain fire breaks and clear land. I can guarentee you that under Hamer you had to do that! As a kid we were constantly having to clear our land of dead leaves etc or we were fined. The facts are that over the last 10 years, fire prevention in those areas has gone to the dogs. I mean FFS, local councils up there were requiring people to grow trees next to their houses 'to be part of the forest' despite warnings via CSIRO reports and independent experts that it (and other policies) were wrong and greatly increased risk.

Where was the State Govt to over-ride council like they would if it suited their interests? Labor was in power the last 10 years when everything lapsed due to Green interests.

These pricks and local councils have blood on their hands.

Huge fail by the labor party under Bracks/Brumby.

Believe me I grew up in those areas and the lack of planning and prevention under labor has been a disgrace as they pandered to the green vote at the expense of common sense fire prevention. You used to have to clear your block or the council did it and charged you, now nothing is done. Fire breaks have not been maintained, road sides have not been kept clear.

Long time locals know that it has all been allowed to occur under labor and it is all going to come out at the Royal Commission (remember the State govts is quite happy to put planning rules over the top of councils when it suits them so they have no get out clause there).

I don't know how Burmby and his labor mates sleep at night knowing that their inactivity and pandering to the green vote helped contribute to this disaster. Just cos you cry lots, show sympathy and throw some cash around does not mean you did a good job. A good job would have been having much better fire prevention plans in place in the first place, they did not and for that they stand condemed.

The OP is on Brumbies response to the fires, not what he could have done to prevent them.

So far i think he's been good. Theres always going to be something they could have done better and there is still a long way to go, but there are not too many complaints so far.

I reckon he's done a great job of playing the 'Rudy Giuliani' in this 'crisis'

Like Rudy, he's done a superb job of using the media to bolster his political stock whilst silencing the critics of his incompetence.

The OP is on Brumbies response to the fires, not what he could have done to prevent them.
Except they are highly related. If some guy takes their eyes of the road because a babe Ms. Green is giving him a perve in return for irresponsible actions then you don't praise the guy for showing concern to the people he just knocked over whilst doing so. You rightly ask why his eyes weren't on the road in the first place.

All the more reason to maintain fire breaks and clear land. I can guarentee you that under Hamer you had to do that! As a kid we were constantly having to clear our land of dead leaves etc or we were fined. The facts are that over the last 10 years, fire prevention in those areas has gone to the dogs. I mean FFS, local councils up there were requiring people to grow trees next to their houses 'to be part of the forest' despite warnings via CSIRO reports and independent experts that it (and other policies) were wrong and greatly increased risk.

Where was the State Govt to over-ride council like they would if it suited their interests? Labor was in power the last 10 years when everything lapsed due to Green interests.

These pricks and local councils have blood on their hands.

Without wanting to sound like a hardarse, the people themselves who undertook "the tree change" in that time haven't made things easy for themselves. Many probably didn't care too much about the land preparation they needed to do. Some still don't in unburnt areas (e.g. timber homes in a major fire-prone area? I mean hello!!! Steel and concrete anyone?)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ted will get the arse before the next election. He's had his chance and the Libs seem to be stuck in mud. With the economy and infrastructure the way they are, the Libs will have to at least pretend to be somewhat progessive if they are gonna have any chance of winning. Amazing they haven't gained any ground after the horror summer for Labor. Even as a left winger I'd rather the Libs in power, can't stand this ****wit Brumby Government, but both parties are so useless I don't want to vote for either of them. At least the Greens should pick up a couple of seats.

On topic Brumby handled the fire well. It would be a spectacular failure if he didn't, all a leader really needs to do is offer their condolences, be upset, possibly turn on the water works and offer some money in front of a camera and water their approval rates go up.

How ****ing obvious is the answer to saving lives in situations like this?

Brumbo...get with the program dude. If you gunna **** around spending money on people to chair and run Royal Comissions, then you are wasting our time.

You are gunna rebuild the houses yes? Then why dont you build them and in the bargain, build underground safe rooms, for the people to escape to, when they cant go anywhere. Like one guy suggested it cost him 4 gs to get his and when the fire raged towards his property, he sat it out and lived to tell the story. Now get your act together fool and stop pissing money up against the wall with inane Royal commisions and implement the one plan that WILL!!! save lives, FFS. After that you can see what else we can do to prevent fires. But how can you prevent something like what happened? when there was no precedent.;)

One key qeson will be:

The met bureau accurately forcast the condirions a few days in advance. Ie the wors bushfire conditions since 1939.

Govt departements were on alert and had all sorts of action plans - trouble is the firestorms overwhelmed everything.

id the communication process break down somewhere or were residents too apathetic ? (or did the serioausness of the situation not get through ?

PS On the firebreaks - useful in a normal bushfire but seriously what would they have done here ? decreased it by 10% ?

One key qeson will be:

The met bureau accurately forcast the condirions a few days in advance. Ie the wors bushfire conditions since 1939.

Govt departements were on alert and had all sorts of action plans - trouble is the firestorms overwhelmed everything.

id the communication process break down somewhere or were residents too apathetic ? (or did the serioausness of the situation not get through ?

PS On the firebreaks - useful in a normal bushfire but seriously what would they have done here ? decreased it by 10% ?

No, read Hansard on the Thursday prior (Hulls).
In addition PUBLIC statements were made on the Wednesday prior.

The BOM at the iECC give forecasts 7 days out, the conditions became fully known late on the Tuesday prior. On Wednesday the iECC briefed the media.

Then Hulls in Parliament then Brumby on the Friday.

The Libs will get an arse kicking over this beat up

The govt and media agencies certainly let people know in advance that the day would be truly awful and highly dangerous. I also see this as a pointless beat up. The problems occurred before the fires.

This should come out in the Royal Commission but Brumby is now gagging various organisations in order to make sure only the govt line is presented. Disgusting stuff, but if you have nothing to hide you would not act like this.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25165799-661,00.html

Morgs, I'm not sure you meant to quote this article:

It is truly preposterous to think that St Kilda might be a contender for the premiership but I can't see how any evidence that they give could help the Royal Commission.

Ha ha thanks, fixed the link. Good artcile though that one, have a look at the date and then the article. Seems they are a year behind in Geelong.

BWhymie.jpg

Brumby with staffers being reprogrammed to express "emotion"

Contra Hymie looks like Bracks!!!!!!!!!!!!

The similarity is astonishing but I cannot believe people thought that Brumby has looked like a great leader throughout this crisis. All I could see was a series of hollow men that the Parliamentary Labor party keep punting up to us

Bracksy for all his faults is the more human of the two and no doubt would have been great during the fires

Remove this Banner Ad

Back