Brushes with fame

Remove this Banner Ad

This is correct.

In one day I saw Madge from Neighbours, Warwick Capper and Hotdogs from Big Brother, pretty great day tbh, we still all catch up for dinner once a month too.

Gee. What a lineup! If you'd seen Dean Geyer you'd have had the quaddie

sounds like your mate watches too much midget pr0n

My mate is a big unit like me, we played rugby together, and when he told me he was related to a jockey like Darren Beadman I just laughed.

He's not the sort of guy to bullshit though and his family are from the Goulburn/Canberra area where Darren Beadman is from so it checks out.

He said he doesn't really know him as his family moved to Perth when he was a kid.

So....

Stinking hot summer day in Manly. School holidays. I'm standing in line at Hungry Jacks. Millions of people in there, was waiting in line forever. Hot stinking claustrophobic. Everyone's irritable I guess.

So I'm next person up after the person being served. You know how you stand a meter or so back, so you're giving the person some room. That's what I'm doing. In rocks up two men with two women and some kids. The lead guy (Johns) just walks straight into that gap, without looking at me or anyone else, at least ASK if I'm in line.

So he just walks in there, with all his entourage joining him, and because there's a bunch of them, it's squishy, so he takes a step back to let them in and steps on my toes and nudges me with his shoulder backwards. Doesn't turn or anything. Fck everyone else, I'm Joey Johns. I tap him on the shoulder, "The line's back there, buddy" I say to him. He looks at me like "don't talk to me", giving me that squint like I'm crazy. Then turns back, chatting away and laughing with his group/family. I raise my voice a little more, "Hey, go back there".

Just as I say this, the person being served finishes and the girl at the counter calls out "next, yes please can I help you", and Johns steps forward to make his order. I yell a bit louder again to the girl that I'm next in line and he pushed in. One of the women with Johns looks at me like I just killed her 8 year old daughter's dog, shocked. The guy with Johns says something to me, I dunno what. I step forward and around the kids and woman and stand side-on to Johns, "You're not pushing in."

He was kinda half-leaning on the counter. He stands up tall, leaning in, and says, "you yanks are all arrogant loudmouths". While he was saying that, I noticed how skinny he is, skinny torso, skinny legs, but has an abnormally big ass for such a body shape. I say, "maybe, but at least I don't have a fat girly ass". Something in him clicked over. That laughing face and boisterous voice of his vanished in a heart-beat. He had like a twitch in his eyelid. His eyes sad and demented. He was stuck for words.

The girl at the counter, and everyone else looked at me like I was the devil. But I persisted, pushed back in, and said to the girl (looking right to Johns then left to me and back again), "I just want some fries and a cola". I felt a little guilty now. Everyone in there was staring at me, the place had gone quiet. I stood over to the side to wait for my order. Johns still pushed in ahead of the others and got served. He was fuming, and his male friend was talking to him, like calming him down. I just avoided eye contact. They still gave Johns' order, multiple burgers etc, before my measly soft drink and fries. :rolleyes:

Johns and group started to leave. He turns his head around and says, "You're lucky I'm with my kids or I'd smash you". He's walking on out. I call out, "I'm standing right here fat ass" like c'mon then. He stopped and made a half-gesture to come back down the stairs at me, but his male friend pulls him away. I look around, and everyone's glaring at me, silence, shock. Some kid says to me, "do you know who that is?" I say, "who is it?". He says, "that's Joey Johns!" I make that wrist gesture like "who?" I take my order and leave.

Some weeks later, I was talking to a random shop owner in Mona Vale about this incident. And the guy's jaw dropped, but then he started laughing. I said "what?" He goes on to say he knows a lot of rugby league players and Johns, and says that Johns is very very very self-conscious about his ass, so touchy about it, worse than a woman, and that I have a knack for finding people's weaknesses.

Probably coming down from MDMA.

Andrew Johns might've been on something too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back