Brutal assessment of our game!

Remove this Banner Ad

Well Soccer is a Game For Girls because they are scared of getting hurt and Actors who can't play footy:)

I don't think a game that has players who fling their heads back, throw both hands out, dive forward after minimal contact etc. is in a position to talk about actors.

Statements like yours invite as much ridicule as the original article.

Like whatever game you want, but why the need to disparage another?

His big argument is how it`s played hardly anywhere else, what a ________. It`s one of the reasons as to why it`s so , so good. I love it how the rest of the world just don`t get it, especially America, they would just wreck it.

It is the same argument that NRL have, yet realistically only NZ, UK and us play it. Furthermore, only Aus is great at it. So is it a world sport? Nope.

AFL will get this from soccer nuts all the time, however can we say we fake it everytime? Can we say that we are men out there on the park?

There are so many differences in the sports, unfortunately bias clouds his judgement and assertions.

Like a lot of you I have been in countless arguments about the merits of Aussies Rules versus Soccer (FWIF I don't mind soccer and reckon its great to see the A-League successful)..

Soccer fans will always justify their argument of Soccer being better than Aussie Rule by how many countries it is played in and how great an event the World Cup is ....

.... they never say Soccer is a better sport to play ! Never

It's a fair point that, after 150 years, Australian Rules is a sport played in isolation in the southern states of Australia whereas the major codes, soccer and the rugbys, are played globally although of the same vintage. The most obvious explanation is that soccer and the rugbys were games of the empire which were exported from the United Kingdom by the British military and civil service. Had Australian Rules been exported to Britain in the late 19th century things might have been different.

It's a fair point that, after 150 years, Australian Rules is a sport played in isolation in the southern states of Australia whereas the major codes, soccer and the rugbys, are played globally although of the same vintage. The most obvious explanation is that soccer and the rugbys were games of the empire which were exported from the United Kingdom by the British military and civil service. Had Australian Rules been exported to Britain in the late 19th century things might have been different.

That's just it. The fact that Aussie rules isn't played world wide has nothing to do with the relative merits of the sport compared to others - it's all about the socio-political history of colonialism and cultural imperialism.

Deep down the soccer people know that - and any who don't are just shallow thinking idiots.

I clicked on the 'leave feedback' at the end of the article, I wonder if I'll get a reply for the bad things I might of said?

That's just it. The fact that Aussie rules isn't played world wide has nothing to do with the relative merits of the sport compared to others - it's all about the socio-political history of colonialism and cultural imperialism.

Deep down the soccer people know that - and any who don't are just shallow thinking idiots.

If I were as articulate, I would have said something to that extent.:thumbsu:

That was neither brutal nor an assessment, it was some prick on the internet trying to overcompensate for his favourite sport's small stature in Australia by making a lame generalisation of Australian Football and basically saying it's lack of international recognition is an indication it is a poor quality sport (which is bullshit for many many reasons)

His big argument is how it`s played hardly anywhere else, what a ________. It`s one of the reasons as to why it`s so , so good. I love it how the rest of the world just don`t get it, especially America, they would just wreck it.

So true :D No doubt they would kill it if they got their hands on it. Love the fact that it's OUR game. Makes it so unique and special.

So the basis of his opinion is that it isn't played all round the world?
What about games like Hurling which i believe is a great sport, to watch and play. Does this mean that it is even more inferior to footy because it's played by less people? What about Lacrosse?

One word describes this guy - meh

That was neither brutal nor an assessment, it was some prick on the internet trying to overcompensate for his favourite sport's small stature in Australia by making a lame generalisation of Australian Football and basically saying it's lack of international recognition is an indication it is a poor quality sport (which is bullshit for many many reasons)
exactly, since being in ireland, i've grown to love the game of hurling, a game played only in ireland and by some of the irish ex pats around the world.

anyone who's seen this game live or on television (live is always better) will appreciate the courage and skills on offer.

the fact it's not played elsewhere only adds to the appeal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love Aussie Rules, obviously, but I'll tell you one thing - If America, hypothetically, had it as their national game, with their 300 million people and incredible African-American athletes, they would dominate us. As good as Aussie Rules is, it would be even better if everyone else played it too.

I'm not quite sure as to how you think they would "wreck" it. Is there something that makes a human different if they happen to be born in the U.S that makes them wreck something???? We're all the same. At the end of the day, the rules of the sport dicate that it can only be played by following those rules, regardless of what country takes it up.

I don't think Australians "wrecked" Basketball, for instance. We just play it according to the rules that were invented by an American.

I'd love it if Americans fell in love with our game.

Soccer is WAY down the list of quality sports to watch.

Hurling
Gaelic football
Cricket
Baseball
Ice hockey
Golf
Rugby League
Rugby Union

are all superior sports.

The knob has no idea. Just because Rugby League is played at a professional level in more countries than Aussie Rules doesnt mean its a superior sport. The RLWC is a joke. Has any other team besides Australia ever won it?

Soccer is WAY down the list of quality sports to watch.

Hurling
Gaelic football
Cricket
Baseball
Ice hockey
Golf
Rugby League
Rugby Union

are all superior sports.

What? You are as dumb as a brick if you honestly believe what you have just written. Baseball? Hurling (haven't even watched it, says something doesn't it?)? Golf? Gaelic Football? Cricket (as much as i enjoy it)?

Soccer must have really beaten you up real bad when you were a kid.

What? You are as dumb as a brick if you honestly believe what you have just written. Baseball? Hurling (haven't even watched it, says something doesn't it?)? Golf? Gaelic Football? Cricket (as much as i enjoy it)?

Soccer must have really beaten you up real bad when you were a kid.

Yes, it does say something. It says that you are commenting on something from an uninformed position, and as a result your input into this thread is meaningless!

I love soccer, I love playing it. I played it all through school. I used to love watching footy as well, but was never good at it as a kid.

In the last 3 years I have started playing AFL, and it is awesome. Best sport to play! Best sport to watch.

FWIW, my favourite sports are as follows:

1. AFL
2. American Football (awesome sport, people say they dont like it, but realisticly 90% of them dont understand it).
3. Cricket (used to be number one, by far. Recently it has gone down, and the IPL is taking it down further very quickly).
4. Soccer
5. Rugby Union

Yes, it does say something. It says that you are commenting on something from an uninformed position, and as a result your input into this thread is meaningless!

I love soccer, I love playing it. I played it all through school. I used to love watching footy as well, but was never good at it as a kid.

In the last 3 years I have started playing AFL, and it is awesome. Best sport to play! Best sport to watch.

FWIW, my favourite sports are as follows:

1. AFL
2. American Football (awesome sport, people say they dont like it, but realisticly 90% of them dont understand it).
3. Cricket (used to be number one, by far. Recently it has gone down, and the IPL is taking it down further very quickly).
4. Soccer
5. Rugby Union

Nah mate, you obviously didn't understand what i was pointing out. You don't need to have watched something to know it's s**t. By the way I know exactly what it is but I haven't watched it because i don't want to watch it, its sounds rubbish and to say it's a better sport than soccer, the guys is a spud.

Nah mate, you obviously didn't understand what i was pointing out. I know exactly what it is but I haven't watched it because i don't want to watch it, its sounds rubbish and to say it's a better sport than soccer when probably the majority of the world don't even know what it is, the guys is a spud.
You're doing exactly what Lamington was doing here.

Like most lunatic ramblings there's a grain of truth to some points, but the overwhelmingly bitter tone ensured he failed to score (as often happens in soccer).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back