Brutal assessment of our game!

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL is only popular in four states of Australia
Football ... is played in every country on the planet
Obvious double standard.

Australian football is played in a number of countries, and soccer is not the most popular sport in every country.

See: Australian rules football around the world.
watch their country battle it out for the VFL World Cup.
Australian football is more like cricket in about 1850. There's one dominant country, and a number of countries where the game is played but not by enough players to make a national team that can challenge the dominant country in an unhandicapped representative match.

And there IS an Australian football world cup.

Yes, it is an obvious soccer troll.

I love the AFL as a game and am as passionate about Freo as the next bloke, but there's only one true football and that's the world game, although it's not the same game I grew up with. They sort of stole my game with their money and if you think I'm not pissed off about ____en diving and faking you're wrong. But I'm also optimistic enough that FIFA will stamp it out.
This is my biggest gripe about soccer and that's the supporters. Comments like this shows that they have this supperior attitude when it comes to sport.

This is my biggest gripe about soccer and that's the supporters. Comments like this shows that they have this supperior attitude when it comes to sport.

To be fair, there are a lot of Aussie Rules supporters with a similar attitude. All sports have it.

Although, to me, there is something uglier about the soccer fan's determination to have soccer become the dominant sport in every country, but that's another story.

Obvious double standard.

Australian football is played in a number of countries, and soccer is not the most popular sport in every country.

See: Australian rules football around the world.

Australian football is more like cricket in about 1850. There's one dominant country, and a number of countries where the game is played but not by enough players to make a national team that can challenge the dominant country in an unhandicapped representative match.

And there IS an Australian football world cup.

Yes, it is an obvious soccer troll.

Are you serious? You are actually comparing two sports on the world scale?
Enough said.

Funny, that's what I encounter from AFL supporters. Remember "Sheilas Wogs and NTTAWWTters"?

To be fair, there are a lot of Aussie Rules supporters with a similar attitude. All sports have it.

Although, to me, there is something uglier about the soccer fan's determination to have soccer become the dominant sport in every country, but that's another story.

This sort of discussion is possible only in Australia. If you go to Glasgow right now and ask an average Jock what he thinks is the biggest sport in the world and is he for a total domination of the world football he'll tell ya that he doesn't know what are you talking about and to go and get some counceling. People in the other countries don't give a FF about what is the most popular sport. Generally it's football, anyway ;)

Yeah AFL is so bad, maybe we should all start punching on, stabbing oppostion supporters and then riot for 24 hours after our team plays.

Great game the world game.

Surely a lot of you are missing the point. He isn't saying soccer is more popular he is saying in 150 years AFL has failed to even conquer the state next door.

Which is very true. Nobody in Sydney gives a toss.

Yeah AFL is so bad, maybe we should all start punching on, stabbing oppostion supporters and then riot for 24 hours after our team plays.

Great game the world game.

Someone obviously believes everything the media tells them.

It's a rather undeveloped article, but the reality about this whole 150yr rubbish is that it a feel-good exercise for the AFL, and the most utterly disgraceful thing about the whole exercise is that it is fundamentally VFL/AFL-centric, and shows little respect for the VFA, SANFL, WAFL and Tasmania, where leagues were just as popular and just as good as the VFL.

It is not about football at all, it is about AFL

Like rivalry round and heritage round, the 150yr thingo is another gimmicky attempt to try and reinvigorate some of the splendid, but dead tradition and history of what was a great Australian sporting culture, all but exterminated by Jackson, McGuire and Co.....

'My sport's better than your sport'.
That's all you hear.
Get over it. People should appreciate all sports, but you do not necessarily have to like them.
It's impossible to just totally discount a sport on the basis of your personal opinion.

And people who like both are laughing at both sides of this pitiful argument.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back