Bruuuseeeee-Bruuuseeee Bruce! Bruce! Bruce! Bruce!

Remove this Banner Ad

Triple Baileys

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm not sure how many have noticed but Bruce has kicked as many goals in the first 3 rounds of 2021 as he did in the 17 games he played in 2020. It is a fact. Not fake news.

In 2020, with the exception of one game, he generally looked almost completely shithouse and a totally how embarrassment dud recruit. The Saints thought they got the better of the deal, even if it was only a 3rd rounder and we had to grind our teeth on Big Footy.

In 2021, the guy is like a son of Jesus and he has been building every week. This week he added the vital deep inside the 50 overhead threat to his game. Several of his leads also required big guy finesse, which he had in spades. Love the way one of his goals was like Lockett or Ablett (the one where he spoils at the contest and then wins the ball on the ground to walk into an open goalface).

The Kabruceski turns the kalashnikov on our opponents' defences. It is like Von Ryan's Express with the MiGs called in for cluster bombing when our midfield launches the torpedos into the 50.

I think he can average 5 goals a game in 2021 and play 22 matches.

If he averages 5 goals a game across 22 rounds he will kick 110 for the season. Not going to happen.

At least he looks fitter this year, hope he can box on for the whole season

As long as he provides a viable marking target on the forward line and kicks a few goals each week he’s done what I would have hoped we could get out of him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It has been years since a Bulldogs player had kicked more than eight goals a game. Brad Johnson was the last player to kick eight. Paul Hudson before then. We never seemed to get beyond that eight goal haul.

Was very nice to see for the first time in a long time that an opposition was forced to take the number 1 defender away from Naughton.

This is going to be the next step of our evolution as a forward line. Teams like Rich/WCE etc who have at least 2 strong KPF options unsettle oppositions when they have multiple goal scoring threats.

If Bruce keeps even solid 2-3 goal form up this is going to increase the threat of Naughton and English.

It has been years since a Bulldogs player had kicked more than eight goals a game. Brad Johnson was the last player to kick eight. Paul Hudson before then. We never seemed to get beyond that eight goal haul.

Did Crameri kick 8 against Essendope? Would be the most recent before Friday. I could be thinking wishfully admittedly.

Did Crameri kick 8 against Essendope? Would be the most recent before Friday. I could be thinking wishfully admittedly.
He kicked 7.2.

What an amazing month of footy that was for us.

A three goal win against Collingwood, followed 87, 64 and 98-point wins against Essendon, Port and Melbourne respectively.

He kicked 7.2.

What an amazing month of footy that was for us.

A three goal win against Collingwood, followed 87, 64 and 98-point wins against Essendon, Port and Melbourne respectively.
Inspired to rewatch the only game I've saved on Fox IQ from that year, Round 5 v Sydney. "Mark this day down, Western Bulldogs fans!"

Who are the best key forward partnerships currently?

I'm thinking

1. Hawkins & Cameron
2. Reiwoldt & Lynch
3. Daniher & Hipwood
4. Membrey & King
5. Kennedy & Darling

Are there any other notable ones? Where do Bruce & Naughton rate? Sixth maybe?

I've never seen the Bulldogs with a competent key forward duo in my lifetime so this feels weird to me.

Who are the best key forward partnerships currently?

I'm thinking

1. Hawkins & Cameron
2. Reiwoldt & Lynch
3. Daniher & Hipwood
4. Membrey & King
5. Kennedy & Darling

Are there any other notable ones? Where do Bruce & Naughton rate? Sixth
maybe?

I've never seen the Bulldogs with a competent key forward duo in my lifetime so this feels weird to me.

Obviously the eagles KPF setup is right up there.

FWIW I'm pretty sure if you add up all the goals from KPF setups this year Bruce, Naughton and English have hit the scoreboard the most. Yes we played north for one of those games, but we have also played the Eagles and Collingwood (both of whom have strong defensive units).

Its a fantastic sign.

Obviously the eagles KPF setup is right up there.

FWIW I'm pretty sure if you add up all the goals from KPF setups this year Bruce, Naughton and English have hit the scoreboard the most. Yes we played north for one of those games, but we have also played the Eagles and Collingwood (both of whom have strong defensive units).

Its a fantastic sign.

Tim English really is the ace up our sleeves. He must be a nightmare for opposition coaches to plan for.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back