Toast Bryce Gibbs Appreciation Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

dafc21ae598abdd181560cf725efbc0a

#4 - Bryce Gibbs

upload_2017-10-19_11-5-6.png

2007 Rising Star Nomination
2007 Carlton Best First Year Player
2014 John Nicholls Medal Winner

When Bryce was first drafted to Carlton I was living in the United States. I never had access to watch any of the games. For his first two seasons the reports that I got from family and friends back home were that Carlton had found its next champion. That champion was Bryce.

Throughout the journey there have been ups and there have been downs. We were never able to put a capable enough team to aide our Big Four (our 3 #1s and Juddy) to win a premiership. Injuries have slowed the other three but throughout it all there has been one constant. That constant has been Bryce. Regardless of whether or not Gibbsy was played out of position, he was to his detriment, he has almost always been the consummate professional.

I've seen champion players leave the team that I love before. The most recent example before Gibbs was LaMarcus Aldridge (Rip City represent!). Some of those feelings have returned. I am excited and full of hope to see the next iteration of the Carlton Football Club. However, what was lacking with Aldridge but is present with Gibbs is that rare feeling of sadness. Of emptiness.

I was sitting down watching Fox Sports 500 at my ex girlfriend's place this morning when the news filtered through. First, BigFooty and then Fox. At first I was akin to a child on Christmas morning. I wanted to unwrap my new presents. "What did we get? What magic did SOS create this time?" and then almost as quickly the polar opposite reaction came to me. I felt similar feelings to when my mother passed away and when I've known friends have left my life to move on with theirs in other parts of the world. I felt my body shake. I was overcome with sorrow. For several minutes I cried.

I cried when Juddy broke his knee and everyone knew he was retiring. I've cried after heartbreaking losses (the West Coast travesty comes to mind). But it wasn't supposed to end this way for Bryce and for the Blues. I've had this dream where Matthew Kreuzer lifts the premiership trophy aloft in his last ever game. But I always pictured Gibbsy alongside him. Two old savvy veterans who could have delivered last more ending their careers in a blaze of glory.

And while you can never say never when it comes to football... I say thank you, Bryce. Thank you for the eleven season and 231 games that you have bled navy blue. Ask your new teammate, Eddie Betts. He still bleeds navy. And I believe that you will too. I hope you guys win a premiership. I truly do. So many of us do. I wish you the best of luck at home in Adelaide. But most of all, I say thank you.

You'll always be welcome back.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All the best Gibbsy, one of our my favourite players during the past decade or so, exquisite skills and always played multiple roles/positions for the greater benefit of the team.

He will be a great addition to the Crows with this versatility to fill the holes Lever, Smith have created or push into the midfield to support Sloane and the Crouch brothers with a bit of class.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back