Toast Bryce Gibbs Appreciation Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just to add my two cents then bugger off.

The great thing about GIBBS was his integrity. You could see it through his career and you can see it today.

He never once whinged about not playing midfield.

He did what the coach wanted and did it to his best ability. Never complaining. Team first.

If he was played in his natural position from early in his career he would probably have two or three all australian caps to add to his legacy, but he never once put himself above the club.

Then when he did finally decide to pull the pin and the club was not happy with Adelaide's offer he stayed for another year and worked his guts out to provide a great year for the club where many people would have forgiven him for throwing in the towell. His great year was the sole reason we got such a great deal. He worked his arse off to do that.

He might not have a premiership, but to me Bryce Gibbs is up there in the pantheon of some of the greatest men who loved the club and played for the club.

It is truly bittersweet for us to realize, despite intellectualizing this as being good for us in the long term, despite calling for the trade and factoring it in for twelve months, that it took him leaving before we really got that he was a heart and soul player.

Maybe it was that he was just always there, always seemed like he would be there. Maybe it was that he always did the team thing, or what he was asked to do; play back, play forward, go into the midfield, play off a wing, tag a bloke out of the match. Maybe it was that he just never got injured, and we got used to him being out there. Or maybe it was that, after last trade period, he just stuck his nose to the ground and proceeded to play his best year to date for us.

I'll miss you in number 4 Bryce.

It is truly bittersweet for us to realize, despite intellectualizing this as being good for us in the long term, despite calling for the trade and factoring it in for twelve months, that it took him leaving before we really got that he was a heart and soul player.

Maybe it was that he was just always there, always seemed like he would be there. Maybe it was that he always did the team thing, or what he was asked to do; play back, play forward, go into the midfield, play off a wing, tag a bloke out of the match. Maybe it was that he just never got injured, and we got used to him being out there. Or maybe it was that, after last trade period, he just stuck his nose to the ground and proceeded to play his best year to date for us.

I'll miss you in number 4 Bryce.

I hope, that when the final chapter of Carlton in the early 00s is written, the contribution to the club's history of Gibbs, Murphy and Simpson are given their due. Home grown talent who gave their all when the club let them down with a variety of off field failings.

Of the three, I think Gibbs was asked to sacrifice the most. So naturally talented that he was a 'plus' player in virtually every respect, there was always a job to do. HBF, tagging, inside mid, whatever the day required. On the days he was let loose to hunt the footy, Geelong 16, Gold Coast 17, Essendon EF 13, we all got a glimpse of what might have been if the club had a more solid infrastructure around him. Outside of Judd I think Gibbs was the most naturally gifted player we've had since Kouta.

Appreciation grew into true respect this year as his professionalism if anything grew despite the trade request. No sooking, nothing conditional about the effort, just ongoing and total commitment to the cause.

For me Bryce is and always will be a champion of the Carlton Football Club, and I hope he and Eddie enjoy the ultimate success - just do it quickly lads as our window is opening 2019 onwards. And when we grab #17 I hope you're invited to the party.

Thank you.

Anyone else kind of sad as **** at the moment?
Actually teared up a bit last night reading this thread and watching his press conference yesterday. Something I'd never thought I would have done with Bryce.

Isnt it quite powerful the emotion us supporters invest into this club?

Anyone else kind of sad as **** at the moment?

Felt sad for Gibbsy when saw his emotional interview. He really wanted to experience the ultimate here but thanks to so many incompetent decisions in the 2000's before Bolton and SOS arrived it was just not to be. Too late for him, Murphy, Simpson and Kruezer to realistically climb the mountain together. They would have felt during 2011 they were within reaching distant of getting there but injuries to himself, Waite and Kruezer meant 2011 was doomed and 2012 had many more injuries for whole list that it went backwards again with so many poor decisions within space of a few years.

Crows window will slam shut before he knows it too.

Anyway, off field his life is in a very good place so not the end of the world for him.
Just sad for him, his Carlton dream is over.

Thanks Bryce and best wishes for the future. I have always been a massive Gibbs fan and think he always tried his guts out and was a seriously good footballer. Will never forget the goal he kicked in that elimination final against the Bombers when we won. It was at that point we were home!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually teared up a bit last night reading this thread and watching his press conference yesterday. Something I'd never thought I would have done with Bryce.

Isnt it quite powerful the emotion us supporters invest into this club?
What about the player’s emotional investment in a club and his team mates.

Maybe because it happened quickly and it hadn’t hit home yet, but there was genuine feeling for his teammates and appreciation of the club you don’t often see publicly from players being traded to another club (Betts comes to mind).

All the best Gibbsy. :thumbsu:

Link on the previous page, is on fox sports website and sen, also just had a very solemn and low key interview on SEN a few minutes ago

Thanks.

Damn location restrictions. For what possible reason does it make sense to restrict my watching this from the States? VPN only slows me down. Clowns!

I'm not real happy about Gibbs going, so that was emotional to watch. The way he went about it this year just made me like him even more than I did. I hope this guy is remembered as a Blue, not a Crow. That guys like he, Simmo and Judd, have given so much to the club and we haven't been able to repay them with success is something we need to change. But you're gone now Bryce, so no offense buddy, but I hope what happened to Deledio, happens to you too.

Watching that press conference from yesterday just reinforced in me the sadness I feel at Gibbs leaving.

He is a true professional who possesses a lot of class. Most importantly, here is a player who genuinely loves the club as much as we do, a great servant who invested 11 years of his life into the place.

I wish him and his family all the best for the future. As much as we keep talking up players as potential 10-12 year players for our club the reality is that those type of players are a rarity.

Thanks for some great memories Bryce and good luck in the next phase of your journey.

Very, very good player for us in some terrible times. Would have loved him to have finished his career in navy blue.

The hard part was telling my 7yo son that Bryce was off to the crows and trying to explain the draft picks coming back where he kept asking why don't we just get Eddie back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back