Traded Bryce Gibbs - Pt. 2 - [traded to Adelaide]

Remove this Banner Ad

I was saying you could have used Gibbs this year because of the terrible injury to Docherty

We could've used Gibbs this year regardless of the injury to Docherty.

Having said that even with Doc going down I would've done the deal.

We could've used Gibbs this year regardless of the injury to Docherty.

Having said that even with Doc going down I would've done the deal.

True,

Very good pick up with Mullet now though also. Could help out a lot to cover some of the damage

True,

Very good pick up with Mullet now though also. Could help out a lot to cover some of the damage

Yes, but I suspect we may see Mullett spend a bit of time up on a wing as well as at half back.

More likely we'll use this to continue to give opportunities to Williamson and Byrne, who have both shown some very good signs at AFL level.

Carlton finishing 10th-13th?

Surely you jest.

Probably a reach to see us get 10/11th but 12th-14th is achievable. From what I have seen over the last 2 years is Bolton's gameplan being the key to Carlton. Docherty thrived under it playing a role that Bolton helped set up - it made Docherty... as much as Docherty made himself. I see another player stepping in and all of a sudden looking quite good as a rebounding defender (Byrne). It's why I really like having Bolton onboard. There are some club/coaches really instigating systematic play and Bolton is one of them. There are quite a few better clubs around at the moment where I see no pattern at all - just good players holding it all together.

I'm still really positive on Carlton's 2018 season.
Docherty --> replaced as a cog in Bolton's repetitive rebound gameplan seeing a player rise quickly in media profile
Gibbs --> M Kennedy. Obv the loss of Gibbs hurts but there is an argument that Kennedy is a great move by Carlton given the outside natures of Murphy, SPS, and Fisher. Gibbs is a better player but Kennedy might be more useful given the rest of our midfield arsenal.

SoS has done a great job coverage wise.

Sorry but if you're expecting Kennedy to fill the Gibbs void you're going to be hugely disappointed.

Kennedy, the return of Cripps, the development of SPS and Curnow and perhaps a mid or two at pick 3/10 will fill the void.

It's amazing how great Gibbs is now that he's wearing another jumper.

Sorry but if you're expecting Kennedy to fill the Gibbs void you're going to be hugely disappointed.

Relevance?

We won't be in contention for a flag for the next 3-4 years.

Enjoy having Gibbs in your team as he is a solid, durable and professional player.

However we are in a much better long term position now with Gibbs gone.

I don't understand why you are even posting about Carlton here - next year will be about playing and developing the young guys which I would have thought is irrelevant to a Crows supporter.

Relevance?

We won't be in contention for a flag for the next 3-4 years.

Enjoy having Gibbs in your team as he is a solid, durable and professional player.

However we are in a much better long term position now with Gibbs gone.

I don't understand why you are even posting about Carlton here - next year will be about playing and developing the young guys which I would have thought is irrelevant to a Crows supporter.

Relevance?
Its a Bryce Gibbs thread and one poster literally just said that Kennedy could fill Gibbs' shoes.

How much more relevant can you get?

Much better position with Gibbs gone, unless he stayed and then you'd say the opposite.

Kennedy, the return of Cripps, the development of SPS and Curnow and perhaps a mid or two at pick 3/10 will fill the void.

It's amazing how great Gibbs is now that he's wearing another jumper.

You mean its amazing how crap he is...you guys raved about how much he was worth, required player, superstar etc.
Now he's garbage.

You just lost two of your best 3 players.
I dont know how you think that some natural development from other guys is going to cover for that.

Now he's garbage.

I dont know how you think that some natural development from other guys is going to cover for that.

No one said he was garbage. It’s plausible new players, players returning from injury and the natural development of younger players may cover or mitigate the loss of Gibbs. That’s just a fact. It’s also plausible they won’t. We’ll just have to wait and see. Gotta love footy.

You mean its amazing how crap he is...you guys raved about how much he was worth, required player, superstar etc.
Now he's garbage.

Gibbs and Murphy have been forced to play a combination of inside/outside roles, when they both should be more outside players. Gibbs is elite as an outside player and probably above average as an inside player, but retaining possession on his clearances was always a problem as he had a habit of just blindly banging the ball onto the boot and it seemingly always found an opposition player. Statistically, although they are both different players, Kennedy should be able to cover 2/3 of Gibbs' output, potentially more as he looks set to have a breakout 3rd year. The addition of Kennedy and return of Ed Curnow will also allow Murphy to spend more time as an outside player with natural improvement from SPS, Fisher, Cuningham and even Polson all looking to gain extra time in the middle. Gibbs is a big loss, but he can be covered.

Docherty is also a big loss and I wouldn't expect any one player to come in and match his output, but the addition of Mullet was very timely. I doubt he will ever be as good as Doc, but he's literally coming off a career best year and only turns 26 in Feb. He also should be able to cover 2/3 of Doc's output, with natural improvement from Weitering, Marchbank, Plowman, Williamson (who might even spend time on a wing and has a lot of people at the club excited), Macreadie and hopefully a fit Byrne. There's no reason to think that Doc can't be covered, while still being sorely missed.

So, as you can see, natural development doesn't have to account for the entire loss of both players. Kennedy and Mullet cover the bulk of the loss, with development covering the balance.

We are also supposed to be introducing more of an attacking game plan. Obviously a Carlton supporter is going to be biased and more bullish about our chances next year, but I see no reason why we can't at least match this year's output (this year we effectively matched last year's output while playing a much younger side and being hit by key injuries to Cripps and Curnow when most had us penciled in for the spoon, AGAIN). In 2016, 7 wins had us 14th. In 2017 6 wins had us 16th, but we won more quarters and had less blowouts. By the end of next year, we will have a number of young core players finishing up around the 40-70 game mark, having played 2-3 years together. It's silly to think we are a lock for bottom two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No one said he was garbage. It’s plausible new players, players returning from injury and the natural development of younger players may cover or mitigate the loss of Gibbs. That’s just a fact. It’s also plausible they won’t. We’ll just have to wait and see. Gotta love footy.

Gibbs possibly...even probably, but the loss of Docherty is huge in addition.

Gibbs and Murphy have been forced to play a combination of inside/outside roles, when they both should be more outside players. Gibbs is elite as an outside player and probably above average as an inside player, but retaining possession on his clearances was always a problem as he had a habit of just blindly banging the ball onto the boot and it seemingly always found an opposition player. Statistically, although they are both different players, Kennedy should be able to cover 2/3 of Gibbs' output, potentially more as he looks set to have a breakout 3rd year. The addition of Kennedy and return of Ed Curnow will also allow Murphy to spend more time as an outside player with natural improvement from SPS, Fisher, Cuningham and even Polson all looking to gain extra time in the middle. Gibbs is a big loss, but he can be covered.

Docherty is also a big loss and I wouldn't expect any one player to come in and match his output, but the addition of Mullet was very timely. I doubt he will ever be as good as Doc, but he's literally coming off a career best year and only turns 26 in Feb. He also should be able to cover 2/3 of Doc's output, with natural improvement from Weitering, Marchbank, Plowman, Williamson (who might even spend time on a wing and has a lot of people at the club excited), Macreadie and hopefully a fit Byrne. There's no reason to think that Doc can't be covered, while still being sorely missed.

So, as you can see, natural development doesn't have to account for the entire loss of both players. Kennedy and Mullet cover the bulk of the loss, with development covering the balance.

We are also supposed to be introducing more of an attacking game plan. Obviously a Carlton supporter is going to be biased and more bullish about our chances next year, but I see no reason why we can't at least match this year's output (this year we effectively matched last year's output while playing a much younger side and being hit by key injuries to Cripps and Curnow when most had us penciled in for the spoon, AGAIN). In 2016, 7 wins had us 14th. In 2017 6 wins had us 16th, but we won more quarters and had less blowouts. By the end of next year, we will have a number of young core players finishing up around the 40-70 game mark, having played 2-3 years together. It's silly to think we are a lock for bottom two.

You're talking about 2 AA level players being covered by one mid level young player and a guy who was delisted at the club that finished 17th.
I think deluded is an understatement I'm sorry to say.

You never know, someone could jump out and hold down a spot, but you're pushing s**t uphill with those two losses. Unfortunately nobody can predict when a player will do a knee.

You're talking about 2 AA level players being covered by one mid level young player and a guy who was delisted at the club that finished 17th.

You never know, someone could jump out and hold down a spot, but you're pushing s**t uphill with those two losses. Unfortunately nobody can predict when a player will do a knee.
I know my post was a little more long-winded than intended, but did you actually read it?
No, I'm talking about those players filling 2/3 of their output, which statistically is accurate at least. Natural improvement from another 8-10 players should cover the rest. That's spreading the load from two players across 10-12 players. Can't believe I'm so deluded to think that might happen.

Now I will admit that there are certain intangibles that those guys bring that can't be covered, but that's another story and Bolton is always pushing leadership density, rather than relying on a handful of players to provide the leadership.

This is true for every team. Freo lost Fyfe and went out of finals contention two years ago.

CFC will improve this year and it will hurt your (estimated) value of our 2018 draft picks that you traded in. So many young CFC players about to blossom!

But can Adelaide improve in 2018? Gibbs will help, but losing Cameron and Lever must hurt?

This is true for every team. Freo lost Fyfe and went out of finals contention two years ago.

CFC will improve this year and it will hurt your (estimated) value of our 2018 draft picks that you traded in. So many young CFC players about to blossom!

But can Adelaide improve in 2018? Gibbs will help, but losing Cameron and Lever must hurt?
I don't think it helps any arguments to be so definitive on something that is uncertain. While I share your optimism and enthusiasm, statements like this only weaken your argument.

North didnt finish 17th.
Research brutha..... Youve gooootta do your research.

But Lyons or Kelly or Wigg or Atkins would have:thumbsu:

I love how quickly the perception of Gibbs has changed so dramatically from the Crows fans.. but then again, we wouldn't have expected any less

Now Gibbs is 'AA level' hahahahha don't ever change crows fans!!

Maybe North could go back and offer Dusty 1.8 million a year or Kelly 1.6 million a year. That way you could of had something to look forward to THIS year
Lol yeah right. I understand youre angry because not even a time machine could help you compete on grand final day...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back