Traded Bryce Gibbs - Pt. 2 - [traded to Adelaide]

Remove this Banner Ad

:D

Adelaide gave up two first rounders to get an A grade midfielder while they're a good chance at winning a premiership. It was absolutely the right thing to do and he'll make a huge difference next year but it's getting a bit embarrassing seeing all these Adelaide supporters that can't just admit they gave up to first round picks.

As for DangerSloane, he spent all year calling Gibbs a B grader and now called him AA quality on the previous page. Amazing ego for someone who is not in any way involved in trade negotiations.

It absolutely was the right thing to do this season seeing 2 first rounders in a period where we have access to 5 (which is a much more important factor then window, as despite a potential window, the right call last season was to not trade for Gibbs), so there isn't much risk despite a big price. The only way the deal gets better is if Carlton stay true to form and finish somewhere in the bottom 4 (and the 2018 draft wasn't massively overrated a season out), but we put ourselves in a position we could wear a high price comfortably so it's a cherry on top more than anything else.

Yes but our first is likely to be in the 14-18 range.
Your second is likely to be in the 19-23 range.

Jesus how stupid are people.
Our first round pick and your second round pick are not far off being valued the same (especially given the difference in quality of drafts)

You keep believing you 'fleeced us'...but unless something severe happens to one of our teams fortunes, its just plain wrong.

There is no swap of firsts you clown! Irrelevant. There are pick swaps but none affecting the first round. The only first rounders are picks 10 and 16 in 2017.

Geez for someone who seems so worked up, you'd think you would read the trade properly!

He hasn't been AA, but he has been at that level the last few years.
Arent you the same one that said he was worth like 14 draft picks and now he's a one-way running squib?

Your opinion on anything is a waste of space.
I said we would get 2 first round picks, you guys protested and screamed it wouldn't happen stating how s**t he was because he never earned an AA nod and then we got those first round picks anyway.

And no I have not been bagging Gibbs out post losing him, good player but I am happy enough it worked out for all parties him getting back to his family and us gaining currency for our next flag tilt which he was never going to be a key part of for us.

Have you not looked at what the trade actually is?
Are you caught up on 1st rounders and 2nd rounders and not looking where the picks may fall?

No Gibbs and Docherty means you're not going far up.
Have you not looked and seen we traded one of those picks for Kennedy + 2 2nd rounders from WB which would already have been agreed to before agreeing to anything with Adelaide?

From our perspective we gained Pick 10 + 30 + Kennedy and then traded next years 2nd and 3rd for yours and the dogs 2nd round picks which could end up 20 + 38 for 34 + 36 or it could end up 26 + 44 for 24 + 33. Even if it is the worst case scenario our 2nd next year will almost certainly be used to match a F/S bid in which case we will have essentially upgrade from 38 to 36 for free.

From your perspective it is just pick 10 and a few upgrades, like Geelong last year with Touhy what SOS does with what you are offering is what makes these trades.

There is no swap of firsts you clown! Irrelevant. There are pick swaps but none affecting the first round. The only first rounders are picks 10 and 16 in 2017.

Geez for someone who seems so worked up, you'd think you would read the trade properly!
Lol what a clown! Trying to rationalise the deal to himself and then trying to jam that poor rationalisation down everyone else's throat

From my personal starting point on this trade, there is no question that Carlton won this trade. But having completed the deal if you offered my the opportunity to reverse the deal. That is, trade out Gibbs for those picks, I would 100% without question be against that. No deal. Its strange because I think we lost the Gibbs trade and won the Lever trade but I would only reverse the Lever trade if it was possible (ie he wanted to stay). A quality player in hand is worth two in the bush - or something like that.

Even if we did lose the Gibbs trade on its own merits, the Cameron deal saved us. We swap Gibbs for Cameron plus a downgrade of 10 to 12 and 16 (2017) to 19 or 20 in 2018 plus some exchange of latter picks in 2018. Would do that deal every day even if Gibbs is a little long in the tooth.

From my personal starting point on this trade, there is no question that Carlton won this trade. But having completed the deal if you offered my the opportunity to reverse the deal. That is, trade out Gibbs for those picks, I would 100% without question be against that. No deal. Its strange because I think we lost the Gibbs trade and won the Lever trade but I would only reverse the Lever trade if it was possible (ie he wanted to stay). A quality player in hand is worth two in the bush - or something like that.

Even if we did lose the Gibbs trade on its own merits, the Cameron deal saved us. We swap Gibbs for Cameron plus a downgrade of 10 to 12 and 16 (2017) to 19 or 20 in 2018 plus some exchange of latter picks in 2018. Would do that deal every day even if Gibbs is a little long in the tooth.

This x100. Well said, and understanding is spot on.

You are in your window now. Some people think youth and the potential gun is better than having the gun. You wont give a care about pick 16 when Gibbs racks up 30possies and 2 goals in the grand final!!

But I thought not all first rounders are equal? :rolleyes:

Nice post. You haven't lost the Gibbs trade, he is a gun and will give you 4+ fantastic years barring injury. Forget last year, all parties got what they wanted.

He will be sorely missed at Carlton and hopefully we get gun at 10. I would actually love to see him with a medallion around his neck because I think he is one of the fairest and talented footballers of late.

But I thought not all first rounders are equal? :rolleyes:

They are not, but it depends on the draft year. This years you might say picks 1-5 are about equal, then maybe 6 to 13. Beyond that there is a massive difference between the players you get. If next year is a superdraft, whatever that means, this grouping may look very different.

Looking at pick 10, its a good pick. The best 10 players are reasonably exciting. But 16 is probably not so much, unless Stephenson slides that far. 16-25 sounds like it could have 100 permutations depending on who you ask. Brander for example, wherever he goes could be a mid 20s pick that turns out to be better than some top 10 picks. Could even be the best pick of the draft in hindsight.

Relying on the potential strength of a draft over a year away, as well as banking on a team with plenty of development in them to go backwards, is not a good way to judge a trade.

Reid got reamed.

Relying on the potential strength of a draft over a year away, as well as banking on a team with plenty of development in them to go backwards, is not a good way to judge a trade.

Reid got reamed.

Our team reamed Reid on GF day by not turning up. Reid didnt have anywhere to go with this trade. It had to get done. Could have been worse, you could have got 10 and 12. Or not given back your 2018 2nd.

Have you not looked and seen we traded one of those picks for Kennedy + 2 2nd rounders from WB which would already have been agreed to before agreeing to anything with Adelaide?

From our perspective we gained Pick 10 + 30 + Kennedy and then traded next years 2nd and 3rd for yours and the dogs 2nd round picks which could end up 20 + 38 for 34 + 36 or it could end up 26 + 44 for 24 + 33. Even if it is the worst case scenario our 2nd next year will almost certainly be used to match a F/S bid in which case we will have essentially upgrade from 38 to 36 for free.

From your perspective it is just pick 10 and a few upgrades, like Geelong last year with Touhy what SOS does with what you are offering is what makes these trades.

Your 2nd next year will probably be 32+ now that its our pick.
Our 2nd next year will probably be around 20 now that its your pick.

All 2nd round picks arent equal.

Great you got Kennedy. Don't know why you think he'll fix your issues though. He's a mid level player at best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reid got reamed.

Well we're banking on a team going backwards that just lost 2 of their best 3 players.

I never said you were getting our first numpty.
I was using it as a comparison to say that your 2nd round pick will only be about 4 picks after the first round.

Jesus way to overreact.

I think you're missing it..

The only players Silvagni secured which the crows weren't given access to by way of draft position were SPS and Weitering. Every other player the Crows had access to but chose not to select or trade for.

As an example, the crows could have secured Charlie Curnow, Cuningham and Jack Silvagni but went for Doedee and Milera instead.

The crows could have picked up Fisher, Macreadie, Williamson, Polson or Kerr, but went with Gallucci, Poholk, himmleberg, Signorello and Davis.

Of those players, here are their relative ratings:

Curnow
McKay
Silvagni
Cuningham
Fisher

Milera
Williamson
Macreadie

Gallucci
Polson
Poholk
Himmleberg
Kerr
Signorello
Davis

That's not even close...

That's not even close...
He presumes because our young players dont make the 1s that they must suck.
Not mentioning that making Carlton's 1s is ridiculously easy.

You realise that Macreadie, McKay and Cuningham are better players than Signorello, Himmleberg, Poholke and struggled to get games at the Blues?

Just because you have an ageing AFL side doesn't make your youth better lol

You realise that Macreadie, McKay and Cuningham are better players than Signorello, Himmleberg, Poholke and struggled to get games at the Blues?

And how would you know that, given those 3 players havent had an AFL opportunity yet.

Whereas Macreadie and Cunningham have.

Ill concede that McKay is likely better now and for his career. But now you're comparing top picks to picks in the 40s

Macreadie 8 games avg 7 disposals
Cunningham 11 games avg 11 disposals

Neither of these guys would have played 1 game for Adelaide.

You are so deluded. McKay has shown nothing, and will be lucky to still be at an AFL system in two years. Lucas Cook mkII. Macreadie has serious deficiencies in his game, to the point where the Giants had a free shot at him in the 2016 draft- and still overlooked him (now that Silvagni is gone, our recruiting team is back to being A-graders), while Cunningham is a 19-22 player, that should become solid depth should Carlton move back into being a top 8 team. Not seen any of Signorello, but Himmelberg was excellent through his draft year (surprised that he dropped as low has he did)- and the two SANFL games I saw him player were excellent. Not saying the three Adelaide players will be stars, but they are definitely going to be better than the dosh SOS has exposed you too over the last few years. How he is still held in such high regard by Blues fans, I will never know.

You are so deluded. McKay has shown nothing, and will be lucky to still be at an AFL system in two years. Lucas Cook mkII. Macreadie has serious deficiencies in his game, to the point where the Giants had a free shot at him in the 2016 draft- and still overlooked him (now that Silvagni is gone, our recruiting team is back to being A-graders), while Cunningham is a 19-22 player, that should become solid depth should Carlton move back into being a top 8 team. Not seen any of Signorello, but Himmelberg was excellent through his draft year (surprised that he dropped as low has he did)- and the two SANFL games I saw him player were excellent. Not saying the three Adelaide players will be stars, but they are definitely going to be better than the dosh SOS has exposed you too over the last few years. How he is still held in such high regard by Blues fans, I will never know.

McKay will be good.
The other two are rubbish and wouldnt have a game at most AFL sides so far in their careers.

His playing career is why they froth no matter what he does.

And how would you know that, given those 3 players havent had an AFL opportunity yet.

Whereas Macreadie and Cunningham have.

Ill concede that McKay is likely better now and for his career. But now you're comparing top picks to picks in the 40s

Macreadie 8 games avg 7 disposals
Cunningham 11 games avg 11 disposals

Neither of these guys would have played 1 game for Adelaide.

McKay will be good.
The other two are rubbish and wouldnt have a game at most AFL sides so far in their careers.

His playing career is why they froth no matter what he does.

Cuningham is so rubbish he wouldn't get a game at the Crows but somehow Milera gets picked almost every week..

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...layerStatus2=A&tid2=4&pid2=4183&fid2=S&type=A

Never let reality get in the way of an argument crows fans:drunk:

We swap Gibbs for Cameron ...

And I could say you traded Lever and a second rounder for Gibbs and a swap of this year’s first rounder for the Dees first next year, an upgrade of 2018 second and third round picks and future fourth round future pick

This is just as true as a scenario involving Cameron, but it’s probably better not to overthink it and just stick with what the deal actually comprised of, rather than all this mental acrobatics.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back