Traded Bryce Gibbs [traded to Adelaide] - (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Ian Dunross

Premiership Player
Mar 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Glenelg Tigers
This is part 1.

This thread continues in Part 2:
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/bryce-gibbs-pt-2-traded-to-adelaide.1181678/

------------------------------------

I'm a parochial South Aussie and I've watched Bryce Gibbs' career with a mixture of pride and frustration. A lot of the frustration is aimed at Carlton and Brett Ratten and others who failed to develop him the way other clubs would have.

He's clearly a hugely talented footballer. I put him in the Brendon Goddard category of everywhere man who can do everything well on the field, but who should be played midfield and forward to maximise his talents.

I also compare him to Goddard in that he's a guy who thrives on a challenge. Good in last year's finals win over Richmond. Very good in his first year of football when he had everything to prove. A lot of patches in between where he has been good enough, without meeting his potential.

Carlton's short term future looks bleak. I imagine Bryce thinks the same. Most teams are a lot closer to a Premiership than Carlton.

Goddard and others have led the way and shown that moving clubs (even within Melbourne) is not the end of the world and does not make you a hate figure at your old club. In many respects it could be an easy decision for Bryce.

So assuming he is looking (which he alluded to last week), who are the favourites?

My list in descending order:

1) Hawthorn - room in the cap, need midfielders, not a rival of Carltons, who wouldn't want to play for Hawthorn atm?
2) Adelaide - family connections (of sorts), they need to show some quality this year otherwise no point in Bryce moving if he wants a Premiership
3) Port - showing signs of becoming a seriously good football team, very good coach, good Administration, get to return home

Last edited by a moderator:
nah he'll come to the club he supported as a kid, the mighty roos.

although the last time a good player who supported north changed clubs we didn't get (caddy) but i think we are in a good position to get Gibbs
He supported Adelaide didn't he. it was Murphy who supported the Roos.

Looked slow last night, hence his development has stalled, no wonder Carlton are looking to offload him, slow and soft.

Looked slow last night, hence his development has stalled, no wonder Carlton are looking to offload him, slow and soft.

Watson is slow, Hodge is slow, Mitchell is slow. So what.

Pace has never been one of his assets.

No serious person is suggesting Carlton are keen to off load Gibbs.

If you're looking to blame someone for his stalled development, maybe you should look at Carlton. Kreuzer, Yarran, Murphy, Walker, Warnock, Hampson have all flattered to deceive. Murphy is the only one who has gone close to reaching his potential and since then has stalled (injury hasn't helped).

I can't name one kid that Carlton have developed into a star since Koutafides.

I can see how you got to 16k posts if you're correcting peoples formatting.

But toward the point of the thread, I fail to see how Gibbs can be classed as soft, as I say more than 90% of all AFL players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watson is slow, Hodge is slow, Mitchell is slow. So what.

Pace has never been one of his assets.

No serious person is suggesting Carlton are keen to off load Gibbs.

If you're looking to blame someone for his stalled development, maybe you should look at Carlton. Kreuzer, Yarran, Murphy, Walker, Warnock, Hampson have all flattered to deceive. Murphy is the only one who has gone close to reaching his potential and since then has stalled (injury hasn't helped).

I can't name one kid that Carlton have developed into a star since Koutafides.

That's because you are an idiot.

Do a 'Jarman'? If he goes to Adelaide or Port he won't have been the only player in history to move from a Victorian club to an SA club. He might be soft but he is one of the best field kicks in the comp - at the right price you'd get him.

Do a 'Jarman'? If he goes to Adelaide or Port he won't have been the only player in history to move from a Victorian club to an SA club. He might be soft but he is one of the best field kicks in the comp - at the right price you'd get him.

What would be the price at this stage?

In a word yes.
Appreciate that he has lived in Melbourne since 2006, however I have always felt that he would return to SA and finish his career there.
And to be brutally honest, if we get compensated with a first round pick for him then I think this will help us fill some rather large gaps in our list.

I believe that he is going to have a look at the lists and possibility of where they are going. If he was to head home, as an outside observer, I believe that he would go to Port. My reasons being;
1. Hinkley and Co's ability to turn the club around and also perceived as one of the fitter sides within the comp.
2. The improved development of the clubs younger players and also with Polec.
3. Port (possibly but more than likely) playing back to back finals series with such a young list pointing to even further improvement.

Will he do a Jarman? No. When Jarman returned home he was the best player in the AFL, coming off a brilliant B&F winning 1995 with the Hawks. He then went on to win 2 flags with the Crows. Can't see Gibbs doing either.

Exactly, 'doing a Jarman' would entail him actually coming good

Exactly, 'doing a Jarman' would entail him actually coming good

Jarman played in one of the best teams of all time, in probably the greatest era of club making superstars from nothing.

Gibbs has played at one of the most disfunctional clubs of recent times with a very poor track record in player development.

Yes, Gibbs hasn't lived up to expectations, but I suggest that a large part of that is due to his surrounds.

I think if he went to Port or Hawthorn, IMO he would become an All-Australian.

What would be the price at this stage?

Not sure about the figures but in terms of contract length you'd think Carlton would offer him a two or three year deal. So to sway him and not risk Carlton matching the offer you would probably need to offer a four year deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back