Traded Bryce Gibbs [traded to Adelaide] - (cont. in Part 2)

pinot

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 14, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
No thanks, we will keep our first round pick and Carlton can keep the ageing player with a couple years left. Our first round selections lately have been good and hopefully we get a 10 year player compared to a slowing player with maybe 3or 4 years left...

Everyone is happy then !

Gibbs is still an improving player % of contested posession to uncontested posessions and tackle count has gone through the roof past two years.

He doesnt depend on his leg speed but has loads of smarts around congested areas with elite disposal he will play for many years to come.

BluesRule

Premiership Player
Dec 16, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Everyone is happy then !

Gibbs is still an improving player % of contested posession to uncontested posessions and tackle count has gone through the roof past two years.

He doesnt depend on his leg speed but has loads of smarts around congested areas with elite disposal he will play for many years to come.
We would not have got yesterdays win without Gibbs. He is playing consistently good footy. So glad SOS played hard ball!

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
We would not have got yesterdays win without Gibbs. He is playing consistently good footy. So glad SOS played hard ball!

Really?

Meaningless win in driving rain over a mediocre side.

You're going to have long forgotten this win by the time you have enough talented juniors to be competitive again.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Really?

You're going to have long forgotten this win by the time you have enough talented juniors to be competitive again.

Doubt any of our young guns playing yesterday will soon forget it. Very meaningful win for the club, and in particular the next generation of Blues.

If Gibbo goes, we're going to be fairly compensated.

May 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Really?

Wow meaningless wins in round 3........in driving rain against one of our arch rivals........speechless.

"Talented juniors to be competitive again" well wouldn't winning signify that we are competitive?

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Wow meaningless wins in round 3........in driving rain against one of our arch rivals........speechless.

"Talented juniors to be competitive again" well wouldn't winning signify that we are competitive?

Beating Essendon in driving rain?

No.

bigm386

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
I've never seen so much salt over a s**t player that isn't worth it lol. Sad.

Yes all your players are amazing and everyone else's suck.

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton

It was a clueless comment. You only need watch that game and see the young players' reaction to the win to get an idea as to how important a win like that is for young developing talent. You can't coach that kind of thing. And it's exactly why Carlton wanted to keep Gibbs in the absence of a compelling offer. Without him in the side, that opportunity may well have gone begging and what the Blues are trying to build would be the worse for it.

LoBu

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
It was a clueless comment. You only need watch that game and see the young players' reaction to the win to get an idea as to how important a win like that is for young developing talent. You can't coach that kind of thing. And it's exactly why Carlton wanted to keep Gibbs in the absence of a compelling offer. Without him in the side, that opportunity may well have gone begging and what the Blues are trying to build would be the worse for it.
You have rightly reminded the poster that it was a big win for the club, and it must give a lot of belief in the direction Carlton is heading. Carlton has bottomed out for a while, so it's easy to overlook that it might be less than 5 years to turn around. One thing I will add though is that Carlton were willing to trade Gibbs, just that Adelaide weren't willing to pay the price.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Doubt any of our young guns playing yesterday will soon forget it. Very meaningful win for the club, and in particular the next generation of Blues.

If Gibbo goes, we're going to be fairly compensated.
Are you seriously claiming a scrappy, terrible game of football that you managed to win kicking a whopping 7 goals to win is a meaningful win your young players will never forget?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Are you seriously claiming a scrappy, terrible game of football that you managed to win kicking a whopping 7 goals to win is a meaningful win your young players will never forget?

Yeh I do.

7 new players got to experience their first win as Carlton players - 6 under 20, in the teaming rain, through sheer guts and determination.

These young guys stepped up big time: Petrevski-Seton with a clever snap at a crucial point of the game, Williamson delivering darts, Plowman, Macreadie and Marchbank rock solid in defence, Weitering coming back and giving us something after a heavy knock to the head.

The wider football public wont remember, but these young guys wont remember the victory fondly.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton

For a good bunch of those young players it was their first ever AFL win. Of course they'll never forget it. Driving rain, grit at the contest represented by a club high tackle count. Getting a win out of this is gold for the young fellas and contributes far more to their development than yet another loss. As for goals kicked, a hard fought win in a low-scoring affair could arguably be better than a high scoring shootout; I just don't get this point at all.

jt_mcleod

Senior List
Oct 4, 2012
Port Lincoln, South Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeh I do.

7 new players got to experience their first win as Carlton players - 6 under 20, in the teaming rain, through sheer guts and determination.

These young guys stepped up big time: Petrevski-Seton with a clever snap, Williamson delivering darts, Plowman, Macreadie and Marchbank rock solid in defence, Weitering coming back and giving us something after a heavy knock to the head.

The wider football public wont remember, but these young guys wont remember the victory fondly.
Lol

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
It's not even a major point. Melbourne and Adelaide supporters getting cosy because their players got rubbed out for hitting ours and because their list manager couldn't Gibbo over.

Weird.

KnaveyBlue

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2003
57 Mt. Pleasant Street
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chicago Bears

I agree it's not much in isolation. But I wouldn't be shocked if that game proves to be a bit of a turning point in the long run. We're still miles off, but that game was a solid building block.

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
A young side winning games means a lot. Sorry but you are a potato.

LOL.

Driving rain means that conditions for actually playing decent football are eliminated. It brings good sides right down to the level of terrible sides (I'll let's you decide which of those Carlton is) and keeps the scoring low so the game is always in the balance.

Meaningless result.

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane

I know. It's ludicrous how desperate Blues supporters are for even the smallest scrap of hope.

That was a junk, meaningless game in SHOCKING conditions.

slashin_velvet

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, STL Blues

Our side has constantly been building around defense first and keeping it low scoring. Most of our wins last season were low scoring as our forward line is terrible.

It's not just how many we kicked, but a testament to our young defense that they kept a reasonably high scoring team to only 6 goals.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I agree that a deal will happen - but pick 14 not gonna cut the mustard under contract players are under contract players.

Taylor Walker will leave Crows for pick 14 at 27 years old (28 next year)? Mids play for longer.. the answer is obviously no fricken way.

So take that away with you

You'd have to be delusional to think Carlton will get more than pick 14 for Gibbs.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Really?

No such thing as a meaningless win for Carlton Kristof. They'll take anything, even maintaining the status quo when keeping Gibbs was cause for joyous celebration and claims of a massive win over the Crows.

Back