Traded Bryce Gibbs [traded to Adelaide] - (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sometimes you need to make crazy moves to win a flag like Hawks did with Lake.

Adelaide don't have that absolute winners intestinal fortitude that Alistair Clarkson has.

Brisbane has a better midfield if Sloane is shut down and could shock the early favorites.
wouldn't imagine that there are many teams that would look to tag sloane now would there??

Sometimes you need to make crazy moves to win a flag like Hawks did with Lake.

Adelaide don't have that absolute winners intestinal fortitude that Alistair Clarkson has.

Brisbane has a better midfield if Sloane is shut down and could shock the early favorites.

Haha Lake for late 2nd rounder plus a swap of pick is the same as Gibbs for two first round picks.

A decent 1st rounder say pick 8 to10 would have got the deal done.
Gibbs is easily of that value to a team close to a Grand Final appears .
Furthermore he'll continue to produce a good professional level of footy for another 4 years after this season. He's a durable athelete and talented footballer.
A few more losses and the Crows will come around, all the posturing about him being over priced is just that , their reality is quite different.

Lol at Blues supporters coming in after we have lost 2 games thinking that proves the Crows should have been ripped off for 2x 1st rounders for Gibbs.

Nothing has changed that you don't pay this type of value unless you are a genuine gun who would make a huge difference. E.g. Dangerfield, Fyfe, Martin type level. No player, including Gibbs would have made a difference the last 2 weeks.

The biggest mistake of the Crows recruiting staff was they put all their eggs in the Gibbs trade, rather than exploring other options.

There will certainly be better value & higher quality midfielder options in the next trade period... so hopefully we land one of them.

A decent 1st rounder say pick 8 to10 would have got the deal done.
Gibbs is easily of that value to a team close to a Grand Final appears .
Furthermore he'll continue to produce a good professional level of footy for another 4 years after this season. He's a durable athelete and talented footballer.
A few more losses and the Crows will come around, all the posturing about him being over priced is just that , their reality is quite different.
Nah. Im happy for you guys to keep him.

Your drafting experts have the advantage of only 2 teams fighting over the homesick players, it only takes port to rate them wrong and you get freebies all down the draft. In victoria we don't get gifts like that because one of the 9 other sides will almost certainly be interested in them.

????

Only two teams fighting over homesick players? Look at results. Hardly any Sth Aussies return homesick. How many has Port pulled in in their current lineup ?

Ebert ? Father played 186 games for port. Should have been a f/s anyway

Polec.- almost ruined by injury prior to returning

Hombsch - gws told him they didn't want him anyway.

Monfries - free agent.

Hardly a huge bounty of returning players is it. I can't even think of a current player on the crows roster that has returned home barring Scott Thompson like more than a decade ago (edit - Menzel ) . Meanwhile Pavlich , Cooney , Hurn , waters , griffin etc are happy to see out their playing days before returning home.

Meanwhile there is a gluttony of players returning back to vic year in year out, sure enough you have to fight for them but as long as you can present yourself as a good viable club you should be putting yourself in there as a chance.

Lol at Blues supporters coming in after we have lost 2 games thinking that proves the Crows should have been ripped off for 2x 1st rounders for Gibbs.

Nothing has changed that you don't pay this type of value unless you are a genuine gun who would make a huge difference. E.g. Dangerfield, Fyfe, Martin type level. No player, including Gibbs would have made a difference the last 2 weeks.

The biggest mistake of the Crows recruiting staff was they put all their eggs in the Gibbs trade, rather than exploring other options.

There will certainly be better value & higher quality midfielder options in the next trade period... so hopefully we land one of them.

There may well be midfielders of varying quality available in the next trade period but first they have to want to move to SA and second , after Reid's embarrassingly amateurish performance last year in hanging Gibbs out to dry , the players managers might be very hesitant to commit to him and AFC in future .
Meanwhile , Footscray are going along nicely again this year and GWS and other emerging clubs should only get better .
Premierships are so hard to win and clubs windows don't stay open forever ...

There may well be midfielders of varying quality available in the next trade period but first they have to want to move to SA and second , after Reid's embarrassingly amateurish performance last year in hanging Gibbs out to dry , the players managers might be very hesitant to commit to him and AFC in future .
Meanwhile , Footscray are going along nicely again this year and GWS and other emerging clubs should only get better .
Premierships are so hard to win and clubs windows don't stay open forever ...
Both Reid & SOS performed like amateurs, but you are to biased to see past SOS ego.

The only reason why Blues supporters keep visiting this thread is they are so disappointed we didn't cave in too a crazy deal of 2x 1st rounder for Gibbs... thinking we would just cave in.

Last I looked we were still top of the ladder ahead of GWS & bullies, so thanks for your concern... though I would have thought you would be more concerned about your rebuild & making finals in the foreseeable future.

Both Reid & SOS performed like amateurs, but you are to biased to see past SOS ego.

The only reason why Blues supporters keep visiting this thread is they are so disappointed we didn't cave in too a crazy deal of 2x 1st rounder for Gibbs... thinking we would just cave in.

Last I looked we were still top of the ladder ahead of GWS & bullies, so thanks for your concern... though I would have thought you would be more concerned about your rebuild & making finals in the foreseeable future.

All good then ... good luck :D

Hardly a huge bounty of returning players is it. I can't even think of a current player on the crows roster that has returned home barring Scott Thompson like more than a decade ago (edit - Menzel ) . Meanwhile Pavlich , Cooney , Hurn , waters , griffin etc are happy to see out their playing days before returning home.

Meanwhile there is a gluttony of players returning back to vic year in year out, sure enough you have to fight for them but as long as you can present yourself as a good viable club you should be putting yourself in there as a chance.
Jacobs, Gore, Betts, Brown (prelisted GWS), Thomo.
Think thats it.

Carlton supporters should be more concerned about how many hacks SOS has dragged across from GWS.

Carlton supporters should be more concerned about how many hacks SOS has dragged across from GWS.

We're not concerned because we understand the logic behind it.

More than happy to fill a poor list with a couple of "hacks" to get the likes of Marchbank, Plowman and Pickett a little cheaper than they otherwise may have been.

That seems like smart trading to me...and getting s**t done. The only thing Reid did was embarrass himself, his club & lose a best 22 player for a pick in the 3rd and 4th round.

????

Only two teams fighting over homesick players? Look at results. Hardly any Sth Aussies return homesick. How many has Port pulled in in their current lineup ?

Monfries - free agent.

It isn't the returning players sunshine it is the ones who fail screening pre-draft because they aren't worth the risk.

In case you didn't notice we were talking about the value of draft picks and that kids who screen to be homesick candidates that show some but not top tier talent often fall to later rounds to home state sides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It isn't the returning players sunshine it is the ones who fail screening pre-draft because they aren't worth the risk.

In case you didn't notice we were talking about the value of draft picks and that kids who screen to be homesick candidates that show some but not top tier talent often fall to later rounds to home state sides.

and you are arguing that there are far more of these players (of which you have no way of defining clear numbers other than hearsay!) from sa than those spread out to vic ?

What the * is this argument even ?

We're not concerned because we understand the logic behind it.

More than happy to fill a poor list with a couple of "hacks" to get the likes of Marchbank, Plowman and Pickett a little cheaper than they otherwise may have been.

That seems like smart trading to me...and getting s**t done. The only thing Reid did was embarrass himself, his club & lose a best 22 player for a pick in the 3rd and 4th round.
You do know none of those players were best 22 at GWS and were excess to needs?

and you are arguing that there are far more of these players (of which you have no way of defining clear numbers other than hearsay!) from sa than those spread out to vic ?

What the **** is this argument even ?
You butt in at the end of a conversation and ask me to explain it to you? Go learn how to read and then get back to me

It was a discussion about a pick in the 60's being worthless to carlton with the adelaide fan rebutting that it was useful for them, nothing to do with players like gibbs wanting to run home halfway through their careers.

You get 5 homesick kids from each state in a draft with potential, with 10 Victorian sides we are only a 50% chance to pick one of those kids for under market value. Being in a 2 team state means you will get 2/3 of those players with your 2nd/3rd/4th round picks (Potentially way under market value). In case you didn't notice most teams do a physiological test pre-draft to make sure they don't invest heavily in players that will likely leave.

Well thats wrong... Marchbank was certainly best 22, Plowman was ahead of Tomlinson too. Most of the players we targeted were injured and so weren't in best 22 for health reasons, then there were the cap dumps to make the deal sweater for GWS... Lyons was a solid best 22 player who walked for nothing - something we've been guilty of doing under previous management, so we know exactly what it looks like.

You do know that's (a) not true, and (b) not relevant?

It's also an incredibly ignorant way of looking at things. Should my concern not be for what they're producing at Carlton, rather than what they may or may not have done at the Giants?

You butt in at the end of a conversation and ask me to explain it to you? Go learn how to read and then get back to me

It was a discussion about a pick in the 60's being worthless to carlton with the adelaide fan rebutting that it was useful for them, nothing to do with players like gibbs wanting to run home halfway through their careers.

You get 5 homesick kids from each state in a draft with potential, with 10 Victorian sides we are only a 50% chance to pick one of those kids for under market value. Being in a 2 team state means you will get 2/3 of those players with your 2nd/3rd/4th round picks (Potentially way under market value). In case you didn't notice most teams do a physiological test pre-draft to make sure they don't invest heavily in players that will likely leave.

A) this is an open forum, if you think I'm butting in on a private conversation your are very naive

B) I've done nothing to deserve the crap you've given me twice now in replies

C) you made a claim that the two sa sides benefitted from homesick players more than vic. That is an utterly baseless claim and I gave my explanations why

D) you are still making numbers up. Where is this 5 homesick kids from vic and 2/3 sa kids in the draft coming from? That's an outrageous figure you are making up to suit yourself!

Provide examples please of these yearly 2/3 sa players who have slid to sa teams in the draft due to homesickness being a factor. Seeing as players play for approx 10-13 seasons you should be able to name a minimum of 25 currently playing by your numbers. I would be surprised if you can name 2 and even that would just be guesswork on your behalf.

E) psychological testing isn't there to weed out players who might go home. It's there to test players personalities. Good leaders , hard workers. Clubs just want successful players first and foremost , if they can suss out whether a player will leave or stay im sure they would but it would be a small factor and teams would really look for the best player and back themselves in to keep them.

Based on your previous replies to my post I'm not expecting you to give a measured response to this. Ignore me and insult me instead, this post is for the more reasonable posters here who enjoy debating a topic which is what these forums are for. Discussions.

A) this is an open forum, if you think I'm butting in on a private conversation your are very naive

B) I've done nothing to deserve the crap you've given me twice now in replies

C) you made a claim that the two sa sides benefitted from homesick players more than vic. That is an utterly baseless claim and I gave my explanations why

D) you are still making numbers up. Where is this 5 homesick kids from vic and 2/3 sa kids in the draft coming from? That's an outrageous figure you are making up to suit yourself!

Provide examples please of these yearly 2/3 sa players who have slid to sa teams in the draft due to homesickness being a factor. Seeing as players play for approx 10-13 seasons you should be able to name a minimum of 25 currently playing by your numbers. I would be surprised if you can name 2 and even that would just be guesswork on your behalf.

E) psychological testing isn't there to weed out players who might go home. It's there to test players personalities. Good leaders , hard workers. Clubs just want successful players first and foremost , if they can suss out whether a player will leave or stay im sure they would but it would be a small factor and teams would really look for the best player and back themselves in to keep them.

Based on your previous replies to my post I'm not expecting you to give a measured response to this. Ignore me and insult me instead, this post is for the more reasonable posters here who enjoy debating a topic which is what these forums are for. Discussions.
A) I never said that, try again. FYI I only ever told you to read the entire conversation before going off half cocked like you have.

B) You have attacked me without reading 90% of the conversation and I am the one giving you crap? Please

C)
Your drafting experts have the advantage of only 2 teams fighting over the homesick players, ....
I encourage you to read and understand the point I was making, if its too hard for you to work out 10 is 5 times greater then 2 then I really can't help you.

D) Yes the numbers were made up, their purpose was purely to correct you on your wild rant about homesick players returning to victoria after being drafted back to the subject at hand which was the value of later round draft picks to each club.

E) Psychological testing is there for all mental aspects which include homesickness, clubs will only take a risk on this if the rate the player extremely highly.

Please by all means continue to fail to grasp the subject matter at hand and continue on your little rant.

A) I never said that, try again. FYI I only ever told you to read the entire conversation before going off half cocked like you have.

Don't try to lie about what you have said when it's right there.

B) You have attacked me without reading 90% of the conversation and I am the one giving you crap? Please

C) I encourage you to read and understand the point I was making, if its too hard for you to work out 10 is 5 times greater then 2 then I really can't help you.

Ok. Figure this one out. First you make this wild claim above using numbers I've already challenged and you seem to defend here ......

But then one sentence later you admit they are made up numbers o_O

D) Yes the numbers were made up, their purpose was purely to correct you

on your wild rant about homesick players returning to victoria after being drafted back to the subject at hand which was the value of later round draft picks to each club.

I never made any rant about homesick players returning to vic. Are you confusing me with someone else? You made a claim that sa had so many more options to claim homesick players than vic does. I challenged you on that. You came back and claimed the clubs had 2/3 players slipping to us in the draft due to fears of homesickness every year. I challenged you on that. Every time you have just come back at me with insults.

Please by all means continue to fail to grasp the subject matter at hand and continue on your little rant.

Challenging something you have wrongly stated with facts , and asking you to support your argument with facts isn't ranting. I've shown I have a grasp on the matter at hand. The fact is you tried to pull some stupid illogical argument out of nowhere to support some other argument you were having with someone else and you got called on it.

This stuff up by Adelaide is really starting to hurt. Rory looks really lonely at the moment and needs a chop out. I mean the opposition just tag Adelaide's only A grader and the team falls apart.

Oh what they could do with a player of Gibbs' quality now..

Shame their list manager let his ego get in the way of team needs.

But great for Carlton..

Don't try to lie about what you have said when it's right there.

Ok. Figure this one out. First you make this wild claim above using numbers I've already challenged and you seem to defend here ......

But then one sentence later you admit they are made up numbers o_O

I never made any rant about homesick players returning to vic. Are you confusing me with someone else? You made a claim that sa had so many more options to claim homesick players than vic does. I challenged you on that. You came back and claimed the clubs had 2/3 players slipping to us in the draft due to fears of homesickness every year. I challenged you on that. Every time you have just come back at me with insults.

Challenging something you have wrongly stated with facts , and asking you to support your argument with facts isn't ranting. I've shown I have a grasp on the matter at hand. The fact is you tried to pull some stupid illogical argument out of nowhere to support some other argument you were having with someone else and you got called on it.
Just because you butt in doesn't mean it was a private conversation. Making that little connection is all in your head so don't tell me I lied when you're making stuff up to suit yourself.

You are that guy who goes for a piss break and comes back to his group deeply engaged in conversation that goes sprouting his mouth off without knowing what they were talking about while he was in the toilets.

You work it out for yourself, 100 kids go into a draft 50 from vic, 20 from sa, 20 from wa, 10 misc. 5-1 ratio for Vic clubs vs 10-1 ratio for SA/WA clubs. Assuming homesickness is equal across the board SA/WA clubs are twice as likely as any VIC club to pick up a talented junior who needs to stay in his home state. This is obvious to anyone without going into detailed facts, if you wish to disprove my theory feel free to dig up the exact numbers and tell me how it isn't so.

????

Monfries - free agent.

This entire post is a rant about homesick players, you telling me that wasn't you? Of course the entire post was off point because we were talking about draftees not returning players at a later age (Something that was never brought up nor discussed but you can have Betts, Jacobs & Gibbs just from Carlton in the last few years if you like)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back