Bryce Gibbs staying at Carlton - Silvagni in the no blinking zone

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
His family is in SA. They offered him a huge contract to finish his career. He tried to get there. Didn't work. Play on.

For years now half of our supporters have been trying to get him traded. Haven't you done hypothetical trades?

When he puts himself up, suddenly it's a problem.

The way he's gone about it is the problem. He told the others to stick with the Blues and then tried to leave. He's hiding behind the family reasons excuse when we know there's more to it. He just wants to try and protect his image. He gave no indication that he wanted to leave until day 1 of trade period, putting us under a lot of pressure with other deals. Reports that he's disappointed with not being traded.

They're talking about not having enough support in Melbourne for their kid. Well, why not tell the club first and give them a chance to provide you with a better support network? Then we see today that he's in LV and she's at the Cox plate. Not trying to begrudge them living their lives but don't tell us you're struggling to look after your kid when s**t like that is happening.

MS3 revealed that Bolton was very upset about it. He doesn't post crap, he's usually on the money and definitely wouldn't reveal that if he wasn't certain of his sources. Bolton is too professional to show/reveal any frustration publicly.

To answer your question, yes I've included him in many hypothetical trades. But you already knew that. I also remember you saying that he wouldn't leave too.

If he was honest and informed the club ahead of time, then I wouldn't have a problem with him.

The way he's gone about it is the problem. He told the others to stick with the Blues and then tried to leave. He's hiding behind the family reasons excuse when we know there's more to it. He just wants to try and protect his image. He gave no indication that he wanted to leave until day 1 of trade period, putting us under a lot of pressure with other deals. Reports that he's disappointed with not being traded.

They're talking about not having enough support in Melbourne for their kid. Well, why not tell the club first and give them a chance to provide you with a better support network? Then we see today that he's in LV and she's at the Cox plate. Not trying to begrudge them living their lives but don't tell us you're struggling to look after your kid when s**t like that is happening.

MS3 revealed that Bolton was very upset about it. He doesn't post crap, he's usually on the money and definitely wouldn't reveal that if he wasn't certain of his sources. Bolton is too professional to show/reveal any frustration publicly.

To answer your question, yes I've included him in many hypothetical trades. But you already knew that. I also remember you saying that he wouldn't leave too.

If he was honest and informed the club ahead of time, then I wouldn't have a problem with him.

I had no particular care if he sought a trade or not. Both Murphy and Gibbs were upset about being raised as trade prospects each year so it is fair to assume he had no intention to leave, certainly after signing a 5 year contract.

Situations change however. The last career payoff, a chance for success and no doubt family in SA is important. Tell me though, if you go to your club mid contract and say I want to leave for a bigger payoff and a flag, what are you chances of them even trying to engineer a trade?

He tried, he failed. He will probably try again and eventually something will be worked out. The important thing is he is still there next year when we need him, there isn't any bad blood as he loves the club and the damage to his family is probably minimal as it seems it was more of an angle they tried to work.

Bolton will get over it. He has known Bryce for all of 12 months. He hasn't been privy to the Crows trying to lure him before. He hasn't had to deal with all this as a head coach very much. He might have been a bit miffed that all seemed fine a few weeks ago but he will resolve it in his own head. An opportunity presented and Bryce asked if we could try to get something done.

By the way, Bryce told the club a couple of week before the trade period. They were just hoping they could support him in Melbourne. It was the Crows announcement that pissed everybody off. They were the ones trying to turn the heat up on Carlton.

Also, it isn't a case of struggling to look after your kid. There is a family pull there. Two sets of grandparents live in Adelaide and would love to see more of their children and grandchild. It's not a reason that should see you struggling but no doubt there is a genuine element to it.

4.5 million over 5 years and the best they can offer us is a first round pick, a third and Jake Kelly with a second round pick going back their way?

tumblr_lhgebyZ7781qzaxefo1_500.gif

Grand parents just need to get it in their head to travel over here on flights for 3 or 4 times a year.
Stay a month at Gibbs household. Adelaide to Melbourne on cheap flights is not really a massive journey if you are organised well in advance. Then there is lots of times over October, November and December and early new year that Bryce and his wife can be over there a number of times.

Last edited:
Plus the healthy new 5 year contract which is about $2m more than what is left on his front loaded contract with us and a shot at a flag.

Is that fair dinkum?

So we paid the majority of his 5 year deal in the first 2 years, and Adelaide had offered to extend and increase that deal if he got there?

That's saaaa s**t if true

Just our of pure interest, given we know we would have accepted a deal if we were satisfied what was put on table was the value to us of Gibbs, what do you think that was?

Clearly to me with a player and pick 13 it was Brad Crouch, Mitch McGovern or Charlie Cameron was where it started for us to be outright acceptable for a player still with 3 years on contract. We probably were open to throwing back a very late pick in 60s if they were willing to give up one of those younger types.
Lyon they tried to offer up was never what we wanted.

So it basically it came down to the right picks coming our way as a middle ground if a deal was to be struck on final day.
Personally I think where we would have said yes, was pick 13 + 2017 Crows 1st rounder for
Gibbs plus our 2017 3rd rounder.

I think we would have agreed to that.
As SOS said on last day they were a long way off.
https://omny.fm/shows/trade-radio/stephen-silvagni-on-nab-trade-radio-2
However, SOS might be even tougher than me and just say , you can have our 2017 4th rounder back rather than 3rd.

In any case I think that is only middle ground for us that would have been accepted.

Last edited:
Bryce will most certainly try and play his very best. But only because it benefits Bryce. He will not get the same 5 year deal from the Crows if he puts in a poor season (unless they do the ultimate shifty McCarthy style).

What bothers me is the lies and the way he treated the club that was so good to him throughout his career.
You mean a human being will do something that was in their best interests?!!

I'm staggered. :eek:

Which part do you think is gutless?

That he didn't go and talk to the media?
That he has close friends at the CFC?
That he planned his trip and went ahead with it?

You've never asked your boss for a raise, didn't get one and continued to work in good faith?

All of is it pretty gutless imo.

1. We saw just about every player front up to the media when they requested a trade, Deledio didn't shy away despite him being happy to stay put. He had no problems saying he was staying when asked at the longest kick on GF day in an interview.

2. No problems having close friends at CFC, his hashtag is what I didn't get. Didn't he want to leave the #baggers? Like, last week.

3. Planned trip in the middle of the only real free time he gets away from footy? Probably should spend it with the young family he is struggling to support.

4. Not the same as asking for a raise, he didn't go to his boss' office, ask for more money and walk out. He threw a grenade in our trade period and ducked for cover as he tried to leave his boss to go to a new boss, with no real consideration for the current boss or his coworkers. All of this wasn't even done directly with Carlton either. SOS and Bolts found out via Bryce's manager and Adelaide didn't they?

Don't get me wrong I'm happy he stayed as we would've been Brisbane-esque sorts of s**t next year but I reckon he owes a few people an honest explanation, and his character has taken a hit in my eyes.

We need the power to make the 8.

Gives them hope that they could push for a cheeky flag tilt while they still have Boak, Gray and Wines in good form.

Better yet get in Wines ear for a trade home and then do some swapsies!
Mate they've got no money and no one wants the players they needed to get rid of. They started by saying 13 players were on the chopping block and could not move on 1 of them.

I honestly can't see us going for Gibbs in 12 months and I hope we move on.

We ****ed up this trade period no doubt, but not because we wouldn't hand over 2 first round picks but for not reading the situation better. Once it was obvious you weren't going to budge we should have moved on when we still had time to do something else.

Oh and Reid is a *head.

Would you guys take barlow as a DFA?
Sorry do you mean Crows or Blues?

I wouldn't, he's too slow and was dropped for Freo who are s**t.

Now we aren't going to bring in a quality mid we now need to restructure our midfield and give guys on our list an opportunity. We've got some decent players who didn't get a game last year that need to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate they've got no money and no one wants the players they needed to get rid of. They started by saying 13 players were on the chopping block and could not move on 1 of them.

I honestly can't see us going for Gibbs in 12 months and I hope we move on.

We stuffed up this trade period no doubt, but not because we wouldn't hand over 2 first round picks but for not reading the situation better. Once it was obvious you weren't going to budge we should have moved on when we still had time to do something else.

Oh and Reid is a ****head.

be good if everyone moves on.

fwiw can fully understand why the Crows did not give up two first rounders, but the way Reid approached it & then stuck with it stuffed your trade period. He's also been very obtuse with the crows supporters.

you're in the window so hopefully you'll get a mature mid or 2 next year. But your list manager may need a lot of help.

Nah I'm okay with it as long as he plays well next year. We have looked after him and he owes us but we are rebuilding and he has a few years left.

I'm torn. On the one hand, if he wants to bail for more $$$ and a shot at the flag, I'm ok with it because we are rebuilding, as you say, and could use another injection of talent. So that's cool IF he does it in such a way that also protects our interests - i.e. tell the club early this year and give them time to deal with the Crows.

However, I'm also a bit salty about him running out on the cheaper years of his contract if that is accurate. What happens if we make great strides this year - Cripps goes to another level, Murph and Gibbs get some consistency into their games, the Weitering, Plow, Marchbank triumvirate comes together, Charlie and McKay show a bit up forward. Long bow but it's not beyond the realms of possibility that we look like a top 8 side by the end of the year. Bryce's presence on low money might be the difference between being able to bring in a Fyfe type, both in terms of the finances, and the likelihood that we will be competing. I'll be pissed if we're in that position and he goes chasing the $$$

fwiw can fully understand why the Crows did not give up two first rounders, but the way Reid approached it & then stuck with it stuffed your trade period. He's also been very obtuse with the crows supporters.

you're in the window so hopefully you'll get a mature mid or 2 next year. But your list manager may need a lot of help.
Besides the usual sucks on our board who think the club is perfect, we pretty much all agree Reid ****ed this up.

Is that fair dinkum?

So we paid the majority of his 5 year deal in the first 2 years, and Adelaide had offered to extend and increase that deal if he got there?

That's saaaa s**t if true

Nothing official. That's the word though. The amount of the first 2 years is speculative.

1. We saw just about every player front up to the media when they requested a trade, Deledio didn't shy away despite him being happy to stay put. He had no problems saying he was staying when asked at the longest kick on GF day in an interview.

2. No problems having close friends at CFC, his hashtag is what I didn't get. Didn't he want to leave the #baggers? Like, last week.

3. Planned trip in the middle of the only real free time he gets away from footy? Probably should spend it with the young family he is struggling to support.

4. Not the same as asking for a raise, he didn't go to his boss' office, ask for more money and walk out. He threw a grenade in our trade period and ducked for cover as he tried to leave his boss to go to a new boss, with no real consideration for the current boss or his coworkers. All of this wasn't even done directly with Carlton either. SOS and Bolts found out via Bryce's manager and Adelaide didn't they?

Don't get me wrong I'm happy he stayed as we would've been Brisbane-esque sorts of s**t next year but I reckon he owes a few people an honest explanation, and his character has taken a hit in my eyes.

I think that we just don't know his story and maybe it's really not one for open discussion. Maybe he/family/CFC would sooner just handle it quietly.
Did Bryce deliberately set out to throw this grenade into our trade period after he gave us the OK in his exit interview?
Bryce loves Carlton...He loves Melbourne...He loves the mates he has at Carlton & in Melbourne.
Maybe something changed in those few short weeks that then pushed him to go back to the CFC for a chat.......Maybe.

I don't wanna get all "when I had kids....." But **** me laughing, hubby is on a boys trip to the US and wifey is at the races , wheres the kid? Sipping margaritas at a Hollywood A listers cocktail party?

In Carltons new support program for the Gibbs family and to save money for Fyffe next year.

McKay will have the kid this week, Trigg the next week, Sos the following on a rotating basis :D

1. Murphy decided when the trip was...so it's not like Gibbs could change it. It's likely they would have booked this ages ago when Bryce had no plans on leaving.

2. It's been stated many times Bryce loves the club and has mates there, it's his wife and family that are pressuring him to move.

3. Again, Murphy would have been the one to set the date. Just because you have a young family doesnt mean you can't go on an end of season trip...it's clearly just the day to day work that goes into raising 2 kids that his wife in particular is struggling with and wants parents help. I have some friends with young kids and they rely quite heavily on their parents for support.

4. No, McKay said we found out from Gibbs or at least his manager so it was direct. How do you know Bryce gave us 'no consideration'? Id say he's given it plenty of thought and likely had a big internal struggle of not wanting to go, but needing to help his family. He looked pretty weary in that photo with Tex Walker at Byron Bay, im sure the gravity of the situation was not lost on him.

you're in the window so hopefully you'll get a mature mid or 2 next year. But your list manager may need witness protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back