Bryce Gibbs staying at Carlton - Silvagni in the no blinking zone

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I'm glad you're staggered, but you would want players who are in it for the team, not just themselves. Bryce won't be playing for the jumper like Simmo does mate.

I just don't see the point in carrying on the angst after the fact. He is on our list and will be playing in 2017. Carlton felt strongly enough about it that they weren't going to let him go for market value so they are happy to work with him and think he is important going forward.

Why plant the seed that he is now a bad egg in our system and is not going to be passionate playing for us? What good does it do except allow people to vent because they wanted the extra draft pick?

We just have to trust in the decision made and hope it all works out. We should all want it to work out too shouldn't we? That would be much better for the club that a group of supporters waiting for it to fail in order to have an 'I told you so' moment.

Carlton were happy to hang on to Bryce. Now, how could that possibly come about, given recent history?

1. We did the right thing by Bell last year. No arguing, just respect for the individual.
2. We moved on Yarran very quickly after giving him one last chance to reconcile things.
3. We forced the issue in moving on Menzel and part of that was for him to be closer to family.
4. We didn't allow Henderson to finish off the year playing, given his non-committal to our club.

Work out what you will in regards to Gibbs but given the examples above, I'd say that we are happy with Gibbs and that Gibbs is happy with us.

Everyone is susceptible to external influence; it’s just part of being human. The level of pressure required to tip individuals into abandoning a commitment to the team cause will be greater in some than others. You prefer you’re formally appointed leaders to be individuals least susceptible to external influence: this is one of the key traits in determining who is fit and proper to lead. I think the most disappointing thing about what’s transpired, or the way it’s transpired, is a realization that Bryce may no longer be fit and proper to be a member of the formal leadership group. It cannot simply be business as usual, but I don't believe that it is beyond repair.

Carlton were happy to hang on to Bryce. Now, how could that possibly come about, given recent history?

1. We did the right thing by Bell last year. No arguing, just respect for the individual.
2. We moved on Yarran very quickly after giving him one last chance to reconcile things.
3. We forced the issue in moving on Menzel and part of that was for him to be closer to family.
4. We didn't allow Henderson to finish off the year playing, given his non-committal to our club.

Work out what you will in regards to Gibbs but given the examples above, I'd say that we are happy with Gibbs and that Gibbs is happy with us.

Whilst your point makes sense Harks, remember that in all of the scenarios you mention, we got what would be considered fair value and worth in return. With Gibbs, that didn't eventuate hence he remains.

Whilst your point makes sense Harks, remember that in all of the scenarios you mention, we got what would be considered fair value and worth in return. With Gibbs, that didn't eventuate hence he remains.

If Gibbs said "get me out of here" he would have been gone. Simple as that.
Not sure the CFC wanted to have gone through a McCarthy situation....and that would have been fresh for recent memory, also.

If Gibbs wasn't happy.....and I may be a long way off....you wouldn't see him with all the boys on holidays.
Look, clearly Bryce has some issues but he's happy with all things CFC and the noise coming out from us is that we're going to support him to the hilt.

Sunday Mail reporting the Cows didn't offer any player during Trade Week, according to Reid.

Yeah, they still have to work with those players aside from Lyons. I guarantee they asked a couple though and this information is just being hidden from the fans.

Not sure the CFC wanted to have gone through a McCarthy situation....and that would have been fresh for recent memory, also.

If Gibbs wasn't happy.....and I may be a long way off....you wouldn't see him with all the boys on holidays.
Look, clearly Bryce has some issues but he's happy with all things CFC and the noise coming out from us is that we're going to support him to the hilt.

I still think if the Crows offered 2 first rounders he'd be a Crow. Im glad he's not as one of those would have probably gone to GWS. Trading Gibbs next year makes more sense (if he is interested).

I still think if the Crows offered 2 first rounders he'd be a Crow. Im glad he's not as one of those would have probably gone to GWS. Trading Gibbs next year makes more sense (if he is interested).

We've already admitted that to be the case.
Bryce was told by us what may come about should we get what we want, but on the same hand Bryce was understanding and happy to stay if we didn't.

That's why it pisses me off when some are calling him out to be gutless, when he was actually very fair about the whole situation.
Don't listen to other interested parties: Family, Adelaide, Bryce's manager. Bryce is not unhappy with the CFC.......but that could change. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I must confess to feeling totally inadequate lately when I log into the Carlton Forum.

There are so many experts on here willing to educate the lesser mortals. Examples are:

i) People professing to know the conditions of Gibbs contract

ii) Knowledge of Gibbs personal circumstances

iii) Professing more knowledge of how to handle a complex sensitive situation than those who are doing it as a profession such as the list manager and the football manager.

iv)'Knowing' that Gibbs will be disaffected even though by the club's actions, the powers within the club have paid Gibbs the compliment of retaining him in their 'knowledge' that he will play as a professional

v) Stating that all 'gun players' come through the draft. Here was I thinking that applied to lesser lights as well so that the draft is a bit of a lottery.

vi) calling Gibbs conditional even though his career stats are better in disposals, marks, tackles and SC rating than Luke Hodge (conditional player??? don't think so) and remarkably similar to Marc Murphy's stats.

I have never understood the antagonism to Bryce. He has been one of our very best players in a dark period for the Club.

We've already admitted that to be the case.
Bryce was told by us what may come about should we get what we want, but on the same hand Bryce was understanding and happy to stay if we didn't.

That's why it pisses me off when some are calling him out to be gutless, when he was actually very fair about the whole situation.
Don't listen to other interested parties: Family, Adelaide, Bryce's manager. Bryce is not unhappy with the CFC.......but that could change. :)

Oh I totally agree.. i think he was fair as well..
I have no doubt he will return to the club and all will be dealt with halfway through his 2nd and 3rd vomit of his first pre season session!! :p

I think he was torn - personally wants to stay at CFC but felt pressured to make the move to Adelaide and therefore AFC (cynics argue if it wasn't just for money why not look at PAFC - for a couple of reasons I don't think that was or will ever be an option). If it's true that he decided to pursue going to Adelaide very late in the piece (unlike Dangerfield and Judd scenarios) then that sort of suggests to me he's been in a stressful situation and unable to resolve/handle it; when you are under stress you tend to end up just going "bugger-it" and you make a rash move just to break the horrible cycle of stress.

Last edited:
I just live in hope that:
1. Gibbs goes out and has a great year in 2017 to really stick it up Adelaide.
2. Adelaide fail to make the 8, so get a bit more desperate next year to fairly value their established players (who all seem to be better than Gibbs according to them). Would be awesome if we beat them with B Gibbs BOG.
3. CFC improve enough that Gibbs plays finals again in future years.

No one really knows anything excvept for Gibbs and the Club.

Every person posting is just meming their own experience in life and transposing it on the situation.

Yeah I've been dark on Gibbs over this episode- and I'll be the first to say all I am doing is meming my experiences with people and layering this on what I see asthe situaiton - based on what is publicly avaialable - means nothing.

Hope he comes out and plays to his best week in week out and gets some satisfaction out of his career and the Club. It is a pointless exercise criticising our own players.

If true, It's very poor from Adelaide and Gibbs manager to play the family issues card when in fact a major motivator was likely cash. No wonder Gibbs manager was so filthy when the deal fell through he was out an extra 100k.

You can't really blame Gibbs when option 1 is a 3 year deal on ~300k (if front loaded) vs option 2 of a 5 year deal worth ~800k and a chance at a flag...but to have SOS, McKay and Carlton look like pricks is poor form. Reid going to the media to add pressure would have really pissed us off.

It's like using mental health as an excuse when it's not really the case.

Last edited:
Well i am looking forward to seeing how our midfield goes this year. And one of the most interesting things will be to see how bryce goes in a more complete midfield. Sure, it wont be sydney esq but it will (hopefully) have a fit and firing murph, an even more impressive cripps, "safe hands" in rhys palmer, ed curnow , hopefully a break out year for cuningham, and a young gun recruited at #5. Thats a decent improve across the board in midfield capability compared to the output in 2016. In that environment, i believe that bryce will be even more creative and harder to stop than he has ever been before. If he wants to go back to adelaide in 2018, it will be as an even more highly respected player than he is now. Adelaide will be cursing
Cuningham the new forgotten man. He continues his game form from Round 23 I will be stoked. Must play in the first team. No point in the NBs now.

Paraphrasing Warren Tredrea today on MMM. Believes that...

the Crows tried to stitch Carlton thinking we'd roll over but in the end shot themselves in the foot...consider they had $700k ready to go at a moment's notice...that they weren't interested in re-signing other midfielders Henderson or Lyons...that they had no other trade strategy...Crows have been after Gibbs since he was drafted...Carlton were apparently 'blindsided' but not surprised, hence the hard line - you want him, pay our price, not yours.

Well done SOS.

Edit. Bickley saying a 5 year contract @ $700k / year was on offer. Makes a mockery of the Crow's official line.

Given Justin Reid's role in all of this, wouldn't be surprised if the AFL issues the Crows with another 'please explain'. Pretty sure Trigg has a long memory.
Reid's position untenable for mine. South America or witless protection the only options now.

No one really knows anything excvept for Gibbs and the Club.

Every person posting is just meming their own experience in life and transposing it on the situation.

Yeah I've been dark on Gibbs over this episode- and I'll be the first to say all I am doing is meming my experiences with people and layering this on what I see asthe situaiton - based on what is publicly avaialable - means nothing.

Hope he comes out and plays to his best week in week out and gets some satisfaction out of his career and the Club. It is a pointless exercise criticising our own players.

Nothing wrong with that - not purporting opinion as fact; if we could only discuss 100% irrefutable facts then this wouldn't be much of a forum! Spin is the order of the day and very rarely is the truth ever fully revealed...

Like you, hope he has a great year next year, gets AA and gives the Brownlow a shake!:thumbsu:

Last edited:
Cuningham the new forgotten man. He continues his game form from Round 23 I will be stoked. Must play in the first team. No point in the NBs now.

Hoping he has a good run with injury because he has shown enough in little glimpses that he certainly could be something "special". Don't like betting, but might just put $10 on him for the 2017 Rising Star - if he gets the game time and plays as a mid he'll be a very good chance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back