Rumour Bryce Gibbs & the Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree about the blue skies, but at the end of the day, players want to play. If someone like a Grigg isn't getting the opportunities he feels he deserves, he'll look elsewhere.

Both Ben Mcglynn and Joey Kennedy felt they were worth first team football, Hawthorn didn't agree, and Sydney did. Off they wen't. I was against it, but at the end of the day they were both starved at Hawthorn and the move (so far) looks to have worked.

All good points.

Too many measure depth by the amount of promising youngsters coming through...its true measure is the amount of senior quality footballers you are keeping in the VFL. It hasn't been a factor for us for some years, but now all of a sudden guys its not just a case of turn up and play senior footy...there is some genuine competition.

Have no idea about GC having their hooks into Grigg, but on the face of things he would be exactly the kind of player they would be looking closely at.

Hutchy is a tool with precious little credibility. You only have to look at the way he is spoken to by his co-hosts on FC or by the panel on the Footyshow to realise even they don't believe most of what he says. My guess is most of them are wishing he would go away quietly ..... as we all do. He makes you feel like you have less knowledge for having listened to him.

Hutchy is a hack journalist who makes Captain Obvious look like he is a lateral thinker of DaVinci-like abilities.

At least he will still feel important for us giving him a couple of pages of our two cents worth, which is more than you would get for him or any of his 'breaking' stories on an open market.

All good points.

Too many measure depth by the amount of promising youngsters coming through...its true measure is the amount of senior quality footballers you are keeping in the VFL. It hasn't been a factor for us for some years, but now all of a sudden guys its not just a case of turn up and play senior footy...there is some genuine competition.

Have no idea about GC having their hooks into Grigg, but on the face of things he would be exactly the kind of player they would be looking closely at.

Honestly, neither do I. I just think it may be too hard and complicated for the GC or GWS to snap up this 'genuine superstar' they're after. Maybe they need to get an even spead of 2nd and 3rd tier players to compliment their insane amount of draft picks.

Players like Campbell Brown and Shaun Grigg fit that bill. Seasoned, bigger bodied players to help the kids out.

I strongly doubt any 'superstar' will move, I think both new teams may be starting to see just how much club loyalty means. Roughead/Mitchell/Franklin all re-signing the same day, as well as Selwood the other week. Now today (obviously not a star) Renouf has re-signed too. He was a Goldy boy too, and whilst he's no amazing player, they would have taken a glance at him this season. Been rucking on his own, and has been outstanding in my eyes.

EDIT - One of the other GC threads on their board is throwing Jordan Russell's name into the discussion. "1.9 mil over 3 years is what I have heard. Front loaded contract. $775k next season."

Yikes.

The chances are that this will fizzle out in some agent/club push and shove until one breaks and the signature is had.

If this does not come to fruition though, I won't shed a tear.
If Gibbs or anyone else wanted to leave at this point of time in the clubs revival to power status, then pack 'em now and on your way.
Just be honest and get it over and done with so we can set focus on no. 17

The chances are that this will fizzle out in some agent/club push and shove until one breaks and the signature is had.

If this does not come to fruition though, I won't shed a tear.
If Gibbs or anyone else wanted to leave at this point of time in the clubs revival to power status, then pack 'em now and on your way.
Just be honest and get it over and done with so we can set focus on no. 17

Exactly, if he wants to stay he'll stay. You only have to look at a number of Cats players to see the commitment to play with Geelong winning out over the commitment to money but everyone's different. If the money's not right or he doesn't like the environment for some reason he should go and we'll be better for it because we won't have a less than fully committed player on the ground.

I hope he stays.

EDIT - One of the other GC threads on their board is throwing Jordan Russell's name into the discussion. "1.9 mil over 3 years is what I have heard. Front loaded contract. $775k next season."

Yikes.

Hmmm...posted by a supposed Carlton supporter with a join date of May 2010. Interesting that he wouldn't mention it on his own board.

GC have handy salary cap concessions, but there is a limit. If they need to pay guys like Jordan the sort of money that puts him in the top echelon in the league they are in more than a spot of bother.

Exactly, if he wants to stay he'll stay. You only have to look at a number of Cats players to see the commitment to play with Geelong winning out over the commitment to money but everyone's different. If the money's not right or he doesn't like the environment for some reason he should go and we'll be better for it because we won't have a less than fully committed player on the ground.

I hope he stays.

As do I B.S.72, but if it's not to be, we should not drop to the floor howling.

Let's not mistake the fact that some of our players form this year to date, has something to do with a new mindset of knowing that no one is completely safe any more.
With Fev being ousted and others banished after playing up, the message can now, not be mistaken
That should be the case in every workplace, not to the point of abuse but rather the directive of, "you get paid well, this is what we expect and anything short is not good enough from here on in"

Back to the point though: I'd hate for one of our players having signed to GC17, yet still milking us for all its worth.
This is not Rugby yet, and for all the traditions I don't really care for this is one I'd hate to fall by the wayside.

Jordan & Bryce both seem very determined to bring success to the Carlton football club. If Buddy, Cooney, Ablett et al can knock back massive offers from the GC, I'm Gibbs and Russell will to.

Jordan & Bryce both seem very determined to bring success to the Carlton football club. If Buddy, Cooney, Ablett et al can knock back massive offers from the GC, I'm Gibbs and Russell will to.

Would be shocked if JR even contemplated leaving Carlton, after all the effort we've put into him. If he were struggling for a game, fair enough but surely he'd want to repay the club's faith in him. Apparently a quality young man (so says Parkin) who appears to be very popular with his teammates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be shocked if JR even contemplated leaving Carlton, after all the effort we've put into him. If he were struggling for a game, fair enough but surely he'd want to repay the club's faith in him. Apparently a quality young man (so says Parkin) who appears to be very popular with his teammates.

You could make a case to argue the opposite from the supporters POV. He's been a whipping boy for years, and now supporters are lining up to blow him, he could very well flip the bird to those that potted him for so long - me included - and piss off to the highest bidder. Doubtful, but possible.

Read briefly through the thread , one thing i failed to see is anyone mention is that Pavlich is out of contract and that Carlton have been into him for a while now .

B4F, the only reason a club puts effort into a player is because the club sees that player contributing to the club's success. If not, the club will delist him

JR is read hot at the moment, that's why the club put so much effort into him - he's always had pace, skills, bulk, and determination. Now he's getting the ball with confidence

I don't want JR to go - and doubt he would - but I don't agree that a player necessarily owes a club anything. A club's not really interested in a player, a club's only interested in the success that a player can bring. There will come a time when Carlton won't renew JR's contract (like all players), so why shouldn't JR also have the option of not renewing his contract with Carlton?

I was reading somewhere that the ******** ex-coach from the bummers has been opening his trap again bleating that because of the money involved in the game these days, loyalty to the team is dead and that the players should just go for the money.

I think that there is still loyalty to the clubs there... otherwise, all the uncontracted players would have been accepting all the big bucks being thrown around by GC17 and next year, GWS.

While I think that Sheedy has an ulterior motive coming out with this comment, I think that he is, as always full of s**t. He is seeing GC17 having problems getting top flight players and he wants to ensure that next year he can poach some for his deadhead team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back