Rumour Bryce Gibbs & the Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would Gibbs leave a team on the verge of great things to go to a team that will take at least another 5 years to make a impact on the comp? I doubt he is going anywhere and if any of you remember he said he wants to be a one club player and no greater team than Carlton, with our links through history to Adelaide.

Interesting that Gibbs was put up for the post match media conference. Was the club inviting the media to put to rest these rumours? If it was, the media wasn't smart enough to put the question to him - not one journo asked about his contract.

It may have been they were instructed not to, which I kinda doubt, but surely this was a golden opportunity to put the matter to rest or at least shed some light on it.

Hmmm...posted by a supposed Carlton supporter with a join date of May 2010. Interesting that he wouldn't mention it on his own board.

I believed that I had posted it here as well as in that thread. If not, my bad.

Gold Coast trying to sign any "young gun" they can get their hands on and doing it in such a way as to make their present team unable to re-sign them.

For JR that's the offer. Obviously, Carlton would offer him less than that and it would require less but the money is tempting.

As far as club loyalty goes -- I believe that in the modern game the loyalty is much more towards your teammates than the club itself. JR's been through the most rotten times at this club with a great number of team-mates who he is now enjoying the fruits of all of their labor.

I don't believe that Russell will leave the Blues but I can certainly believe that the Gold Coast would be very interested in giving him the type of offer that would potentially price him away from us, if he were that type of a person. Money is important but I believe he's gone through too much with so many good friends now that he'll ultimately stick with us.

I'll call it now. Over the mid-season break both Russell and Gibbs will sign new 3-year contracts with the Carlton Football Club. The club will hold a press conference to announce the re-signings of two marquee players from South Australia. It will eat a bit of the precious cap room that we had available to us but will ultimately be worth it. The team will have enough remaining to sign a big name and another very good footballer come seasons end.

What would be a fair contract for Bryce?

650k for 4 years?

What do we think the GC would offer?

Source: Kevin Barlett?

I'd suggest $1.65 mil over three years would get Gibbs re-signed (or close to it). That's $550k per year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll call it now. Over the mid-season break both Russell and Gibbs will sign new 3-year contracts with the Carlton Football Club. The club will hold a press conference to announce the re-signings of two marquee players from South Australia. It will eat a bit of the precious cap room that we had available to us but will ultimately be worth it. The team will have enough remaining to sign a big name and another very good footballer come seasons end.

Agree with this.

Why would Gibbs want to leave after all the pain he has been through at Carlton, only to go through a few more years of hard work up north. He'll be at Visy Park next year.

The same reason any other player will join GC.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

With the recent signings of guys like Roughead, Buddy, Cooney & Selwood, attention was always likely to turn to Gibbs soon enough.

Simply moving from one young gun to the next.

It's only round 7 - not worried in the slightest.

We have plenty of money, and will come to the party long before Gibbs takes a step out of the door.
Agreed. I'm surprised that it has taken this long for them to speculate about it, especially since KB asks Swanny everytime he's on SEN about the negotiations.

While it does make me a little anxious that he hasn't signed yet, I find it hard to see him going.
a) We can afford to keep him, but may not necessarily match the GC offer.
b) With a majority of big names already gone, the GC are far less likely to do any serious "premiership" action for some time.
c) Bryce loves Carlton. Has been quick to resign before. Is best mates with Russell, and there's the whole SA/Carlton connection going on.

I am sure Gibb's manager is probably trying to up the $$ somewhat, but much like Buddy and Roughy, he will sign back on with us. He may leave us eventually, but I find it hard to believe that it would be now.

Hope I'm right.

Russ is the other one who might be tempted and is out of contract.

We're working towards some real sustained success....why would you leave that and your mates for a few extra $$$ and a soul-less franchise outfit? The vibe i get with this playing group is there is some real solidarity and commitment to succeeding as a team , I don't see the blokes at our club with real character, like Bryce and JR wanting to fracture that.

Spot on, ItalianwithrabbitinsidehatMan. We are rising to the top at a time that will see our players who are keen for success staying on board. Previously required high draft picks won't even be there. Our timing is acutely spot on. :thumbsu::thumbsu:

And heres me thinking it was the beaches... :rolleyes:

Nope ..........

definitely the meter maids :p

pt-surfers-metermaids.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back