Traded Bryce Gibbs [traded to Adelaide] - (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a very good point Kane. Port went out to get "the missing piece" and paid first rounders for Dixon and Ryder. Look where they've ended up. 2 years out of the finals and yet to beat any contender so far this year.
Perfectly shows why getting Gibbs at any cost is silly. I'd offer our first round pick assuming it's above pick 10 or walk away.
I'm sure Port would be keen to trade in Gibbs... but unfortunately they have already traded away their 1st rounder!

Yes. Will be interesting to see what pans out.
Has Gibbs (and wife) changed their mind and now happy to stay? We'd be happy with that.
If Gibbs still wants to go back to Adelaide does Adelaide pay overs as Carlton won't release him from his contract if they don't?
Does Port make a big offer?
Does Carlton accept Adelaide's offer of a first rounder?
Who knows..
Port don't have a 1st rounder as leftover from paying overs for Dixon & having to swap picks to get back into last year's draft.

I don't see port being in a position to make a play unless they trade a few out. Midfield probably isn't their area of concern either.

Carlton take a risk if they hold him again, will he maintain the form or crack the shits? Also in 2020 Gibbs is gone Carlton are prob pushing for top 8 they should consider adding some high pick talent to be hitting their straps around that time.

From early glimpses of the bottom age talent in th U18s I think Carlton should look to manoeuvre an extra pick in that draft. Would also make keeping him the extra year look like a masterstroke

Edit - replied to wrong post

I don't see port being in a position to make a play unless they trade a few out. Midfield probably isn't their area of concern either.

Carlton take a risk if they hold him again, will he maintain the form or crack the shits? Also in 2020 Gibbs is gone Carlton are prob pushing for top 8 they should consider adding some high pick talent to be hitting their straps around that time.

From early glimpses of the bottom age talent in th U18s I think Carlton should look to manoeuvre an extra pick in that draft. Would also make keeping him the extra year look like a masterstroke

Edit - replied to wrong post
Looks like Port are out of the equation IF Gibbs still wants to go back.
Interesting to see how it pans out? First rounder this years draft, 2nd rounder next years?

Good point. They will find players/draft picks if desperate enough (which they may not be)..any good young vic players they could offer?
They have been trying to offload both Hartlett & Lobbe, but both players have refused to move so far. Not sure if you would be interested...

Crows 1st and Lyons in exchange for Gibbs was a deal that was fair for both parties, I'm sure that most can agree. Carlton decided they wanted more, Adelaide refused and thus Gibbs has been held to his contract. Overall I think the inability of both clubs involved to arrive at a deal has resulted in a lose-lose scenario. Adelaide lack some firepower in their midfield which may cost them a flag, whilst Carlton miss out on a solid 5+ year contributor to their midfield (Lyons) as well as another 1st round pick to add to their impressive list of youngsters.

We have enough contributors in the midfield Ed Curnow, Cunningham, Graham.. we want like for like star or likely to get one through the draft

They have been trying to offload both Hartlett & Lobbe, but both players have refused to move so far. Not sure if you would be interested...
Out of our age bracket; we are on record as wanting 20-23 year olds.

We have picked up some mature aged players for nothing - Wright, A Silvagni and palmer but would not use high draft picks for lobbe and Hartlett.

Out of our age bracket; we are on record as wanting 20-23 year olds.

We have picked up some mature aged players for nothing - Wright, A Silvagni and palmer but would not use high draft picks for lobbe and Hartlett.
Problem for Port is they are in the same boat, as they have traded away most of their recent early picks, so would be loathe to trade a younger player.

Problem for Port is they are in the same boat, as they have traded away most of their recent early picks, so would be loathe to trade a younger player.
Back to square one. It's Adelaide or Carlton.
I have no doubt it will be handled a lot better this time around (that's if it happens). If Bryce still intends to leave at seasons end, and Adelaide still want him, the clubs will work behind the scenes to get it done. Could do the first trade of trade week!

Back to square one. It's Adelaide or Carlton.
I have no doubt it will be handled a lot better this time around (that's if it happens). If Bryce still intends to leave at seasons end, and Adelaide still want him, the clubs will work behind the scenes to get it done. Could do the first trade of trade week!

Highly doubt it will be a smooth trade, despite both teams having a year to sort it out.

He's still so valuable to us that we would want something equivalent to 2 x picks in the teens for him.
Adelaide i'm sure will still want to try to get him for something like just their first round pick.

Highly doubt it will be a smooth trade, despite both teams having a year to sort it out.

He's still so valuable to us that we would want something equivalent to 2 x picks in the teens for him.
Adelaide i'm sure will still want to try to get him for something like just their first round pick.
If Adelaide win premiership they'll offer bugger all.
If they are found wanting in the finals due to Sloane being tagged out of it I expect they'll come around.
Could all be nothing if Bryce is happy to stay..

Overall I think the inability of both clubs involved to arrive at a deal has resulted in a lose-lose scenario.

Can't see how Carlton have lost anything. Gibbs has played a massive role for the team this season. His contribution is exactly what's needed at this stage of a rebuild and helps massively in the development of the younger players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crows 1st and Lyons in exchange for Gibbs was a deal that was fair for both parties, I'm sure that most can agree. Carlton decided they wanted more, Adelaide refused and thus Gibbs has been held to his contract. Overall I think the inability of both clubs involved to arrive at a deal has resulted in a lose-lose scenario. Adelaide lack some firepower in their midfield which may cost them a flag, whilst Carlton miss out on a solid 5+ year contributor to their midfield (Lyons) as well as another 1st round pick to add to their impressive list of youngsters.

Er, no. "Most" cannot agree.

1. Lyons was a player Adelaide didn't want. Hardly a significant add-on.

2. Gibbs critical in at least three wins. Without him, we're bottom of the ladder.

Carlton was right to stand firm. Contracted for 2 more years, playing best footy of his career and on a front-loaded 5 year contract.

You wouldn't find a team in the league that would give up 2 first round picks for player who'll be 29 before the 2018 season starts. Get real.

If Adelaide win premiership they'll offer bugger all.
If they are found wanting in the finals due to Sloane being tagged out of it I expect they'll come around.
Could all be nothing if Bryce is happy to stay..

Yep from our point of view if Gibbs asks for s trade again best thing would be to have Adelaide lose in the prelim or grand final, with their midfield being beaten being a big part of that.

Then they might offer something to the level we would accept.

You wouldn't find a team in the league that would give up 2 first round picks for player who'll be 29 before the 2018 season starts. Get real.

When the first rounders aren't going to be in the top 15 and you have a very decent chance at gettig something additional to Gibbs then it is possible.

With academy selections and a few promising F/S in the next 2 drafts they become more like second rounders and therefore less valuable.

Just because the Crows valuation doesn't match SOS's doesn't mean we are fooling ourselves.

It just means we don't agree with your valuation, hence a deal won't be done.

We can live with this. :)

That's fine....just as long as rory atkin's name is thrown around again because that might make me spew

Yes, Carlton used to do anything, including offer cash under the table to win a flag.. is that why you got back SOS. ;)

The Crows will be in the premiership window for a few years, so we don't need to make desperado deals.

Port are known for paying overs for the so called missing parts to their flag, so yes best to.deal with them. ;)

I mean this is a fairly dishonest statement: considering the club emphasised that this had 0 to do with the 'missing piece' time and time again and was all about strengthening our list - the media was just running with that rubbish rhetoric. Considering Dixon and Ryder have had extremely solid output this season, pretty happy with what we gave for them. Some Essendon supporters think we paid unders for Ryder as well, which considering the need Essendon had at the time for a Ruck I think was a fair assessment. Winded up paying off for them in the long run anyway I feel.

Interesting that people are saying Gibbs to Port. We have absolute 0 need for him, wouldn't pay two first rounders for him (couldn't anyway) and are developing decent depth in his type of role. Could poke a *load of holes in other needs ie: a tall KPD with a shred of agility.

Perfectly put.

Adelaide put forward what they were willing to pay for Gibbs, Carlton wanted more (which is perfectly within their rights to do) and a deal, which both parties were happy with, couldn't be reached. Talk of either club 'failing' is pure nonsense.

It is obvious, as stated previously, that Carlton will again want more than Adelaide are willing to give up. As a result, I think this ship has sailed and no deal will be done.

Yes, but we also keep Gibbs.

Not sure you've noticed but he's been instrumental in two wins this past month. Victories like that for a team with a bunch of kids in it are priceless in terms of development and culture of the list.

You dont want to go 'full Melbourne' and gut the list of talent. s**t; ask Melbourne supporters if you dont agree. You wind up getting shellacked and ruining the culture of the joint. You have no corporate knowledge or experience around the place. Dont prune the tree too much, or you kill it.

Otherwise I agree. It could very well have been a win-win. Crows didnt want to pony up though.

Perfectly put.

Adelaide put forward what they were willing to pay for Gibbs, Carlton wanted more (which is perfectly within their rights to do) and a deal, which both parties were happy with, couldn't be reached. Talk of either club 'failing' is pure nonsense.

It is obvious, as stated previously, that Carlton will again want more than Adelaide are willing to give up. As a result, I think this ship has sailed and no deal will be done.

Perfectly put, with the exception that the premise "Crows 1st and Lyons in exchange for Gibbs was a deal that was fair for both parties, I'm sure that most can agree." is total BS. Try running a poll on whether 13-ish & Lyons for Gibbs is fair!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back