Traded Bryce Gibbs [traded to Adelaide] - (cont. in Part 2)

Love the Drake

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2013
Mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
Do you have any evidence of this? I've had a quick look and couldn't find anything.
I've just looked at your posting record. You post on many Carlton threads and are extremely anti-Carlton/SOS.

You need to move on from SOS. He's gone, get over it and enjoy your team still being involved in the September action.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
Gil Mclaughlan publicly lauded Carlton for sticking to their guns and making a contract mean something.

Do you have any evidence of this? I've had a quick look and couldn't find anything.
I've just looked at your posting record. You post on many Carlton threads and extremely anti-Carlton/SOS.

You need to move on from SOS. He's gone, get over it and enjoy your team still being involved in the September action.
More than happy to re-post my question. Do you, or your friend Farktherest have any quotes regarding Gil publically lauding Carlton for sticking firm to their demands regarding the proposed Gibbs to Adelaide trade, in the interests of making a contract mean something?

Please play the ball, not the man guys.

Love the Drake

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2013
Mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
More than happy to re-post my question. Do you, or your friend Farktherest have any quotes regarding Gil publically lauding Carlton for sticking firm to their demands regarding the proposed Gibbs to Adelaide trade, in the interests of making a contract mean something?

Happy to play the man when you keep posting negative Comments about my team. Not sure why you are asking me to provide evidence re Gil comments?

Again, why would this even interest you? Gibbs, Carlton, adelaide have nothing to do with GWS? Why pressing for evidence from a poster re their comment re Gil? All very strange..

Last edited:

Sector 7G

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Need to learn to use the internet so you don't come off as such a tool. Came up on the first page of articles from the search "bryce gibbs trade Gil macLaughlan"

The AFL boss said he was pleased that Carlton stuck to its guns and didn't trade Bryce Gibbs to Adelaide during last week's trade period. The midfielder still had three years remaining on his contract with the Blues.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-28/dogs-flag-gives-all-fans-reason-to-hope-mclachlan

Feb 6, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Need to learn to use the internet so you don't come off as such a tool. Came up on the first page of articles from the search "bryce gibbs trade Gil macLaughlan"

The AFL boss said he was pleased that Carlton stuck to its guns and didn't trade Bryce Gibbs to Adelaide during last week's trade period. The midfielder still had three years remaining on his contract with the Blues.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-28/dogs-flag-gives-all-fans-reason-to-hope-mclachlan
Buzzasto DaSilva pls respond

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
... have any quotes regarding Gil publically lauding Carlton for sticking firm to their demands regarding the proposed Gibbs to Adelaide trade, in the interests of making a contract mean something?

"I've held the view that a contract is a contract ... Great credit to Carlton. The deal wasn't good enough, so he stayed."

Doesn't get much more comprehensive than that.

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders

Thanks mate. Appreciate you taking me the time to find this. I left the keyword "trade" out of my searches, and simply searched "Gil McLachlan Bryce Gibbs", and the article you quoted does not appear anywhere on the first two pages, as you can see from my link below. While you and a couple of your Carlton buddies might call me a tool (which I don't really appreciate but anyway) or criticise me, I was simply looking for more information, as quotes like the one above can give fans an insight into the future of the trade period, or any changes at AFL house. Just surprised that leaving the word of "trade" out, provided such differing articles.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...7j35i39j0l2.1635j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Thanks again mate, appreciate it :thumbsu:

Responded above mate. Flat out at the hospital today. First chance to hop onto bigfooty was 10 minutes ago :thumbsu:

"I've held the view that a contract is a contract ... Great credit to Carlton. The deal wasn't good enough, so he stayed."

Doesn't get much more comprehensive than that.

Thanks Monkey King :thumbsu:

Mr.X

Premiership Player
Apr 27, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Gibbs is leaving carlton. Once the season is over he will once again request a move back to adelaide to play for the afc.
His manager nigel carmody and tom petroro are working through the details with both clubs. There wont be a repeat of last trade period. The deal will get done.
I think the deal will be more than what the afc want to give up and for carlton less than what they want.

So it should.
Absolutely no reason for Carlton to keep him now, and ideally, trade should have been done last year.

With where Carlton are at now, Gibbs is worth more as a trade rather as a keep.
He's at the stage of his career where he'll provide some value to a team who may, or are challenging, rather than staying at Carlton who are still at least 2-3 years away from even making finals.

SOS - take a pick and a decent 21-23 year old, and move him on

Ace Cannon

Senior List
Mar 16, 2009
eltham
AFL Club
Richmond
Take there first rounder and move on would be the way to go . Maybe a swap of picks later but unlikely to net any of there youth that looks promising .

You dont win flags by pulling your punches. Time will tell if Adelaide were right in their decision, but for Carlton we already know the club has made the right calls all the way.

You have to win the flag otherwise there'll always be the "what if" factor. Thats what you get for hedging your bets.
Regardless of what happens, it's more a what if situation for Gibbs missing playing finals.

No one guarantees a flag & it will take a team effort to win it.

Feb 6, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Regardless of what happens, it's more a what if situation for Gibbs missing playing finals.

No one guarantees a flag & it will take a team effort to win it.

This is true, but it furthers my point more than it does yours. Why hold back, youve gotta go tooth and nails at it when your window opens.

No one thought Stuart Dew was going to help Hawthorn win the flag, but he did. You cant deny his 8 glorious minutes were a turning point on Grand Final day.

This is true, but it furthers my point more than it does yours. Why hold back, youve gotta go tooth and nails at it when your window opens.

No one thought Stuart Dew was going to help Hawthorn win the flag, but he did. You cant deny his 8 glorious minutes were a turning point on Grand Final day.
Because as good as Gibbs is he is not worth 2x 1st rounders & mortgaging our future for.

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
You dont win flags by pulling your punches. Time will tell if Adelaide were right in their decision, but for Carlton we already know the club has made the right calls all the way.

You have to win the flag otherwise there'll always be the "what if" factor. Thats what you get for hedging your bets.

Have you seen Jarrod Berry play? He is the guy that most phantom drafts projected to go with the first rounder that we offered you. We went with Gallucci who also looks to be a jet too, but I think Carlton would have gone with Berry. We will see over the next 10 years if you made the right call as Berry becomes an A-grade midfielder. The one that got away.

bmaurizio

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Singapore
AFL Club
Carlton
Bryce Gibbs gave CFC an accomplished 2017 with a
professionalism attitude as always, can't ask for more.
If The club decides to release him of his obligations we'll have a shot a youngster in this draft or picks will help to bring in more mature talent.
It will completed before the trading period this time, with every one happy.

Feb 6, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Because as good as Gibbs is he is not worth 2x 1st rounders & mortgaging our future for.

Well you cant have your cake and eat it too. We'll find out soon enough, if you dont win the flag this year you'll never know if Gibbs could have been the final peice of the puzzle.

Have you seen Jarrod Berry play? He is the guy that most phantom drafts projected to go with the first rounder that we offered you. We went with Gallucci who also looks to be a jet too, but I think Carlton would have gone with Berry. We will see over the next 10 years if you made the right call as Berry becomes an A-grade midfielder. The one that got away.

As you say, we have 10 years to find out and make amends if need be. How long is that window of yours open for? Spend too much time planning for the future and the present becomes the past before you know it.

Chasing 17

Cancelled
Nov 20, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Adelaide didnt target Gibbs. If you knew anything you would know his partner was suffering from PND and needed the support of her family to cope. So Bryce approched Adelaide to see if he could arrange a trade to get his partner back to her family for the support needed.
Both her and his family were pissed at Carlton for not trading him and I understand the AFLPA has had meetings with Carlton over it.
So it was hardly an Adelaide ploy to get him, otherwise they would have done the trade.
Carlton missread the situation and thought we needed to get mids in to compete and thought he could take advantage with that.
And with Adelaide speaking to the media, it was the media who had heard about Bryce wanting a trade who put it to us and we just answered the question.
The only reason this thread keeps on going is you have a player that doesnt want to be at your club and will request another trade this year.
You should send this post in to Woman's Day and get paid for your talents, they'll probably even offer you a full-time job.

:thumbsu:

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
A number of Carlton fans have said it including myself..

So ******* what?

I like how crows fans underrate opposition players but when one of their own want to leave because the club low balls them they want two high first round picks.

We're not underrating the value of a 29 year old midfielder.

We're also not over rating the value of a 21 year old AA squad tall defender.

One is worth a bit and one is worth a lot.

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
You want to buy Gibbs? You will not be paying for what he did as a flanker 4 years ago, you'll be paying for the last 2 years. By the way Gibbs had a better year than Pendlebury.
Four years ago when his best years were ahead of him, or now when his best years are behind him?

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Well you cant have your cake and eat it too. We'll find out soon enough, if you dont win the flag this year you'll never know if Gibbs could have been the final peice of the puzzle.

As you say, we have 10 years to find out and make amends if need be. How long is that window of yours open for? Spend too much time planning for the future and the present becomes the past before you know it.
Nah, Gibbs in the midfield would have held back some of our developing mids. He has never been a proven finals player, so you can't guarantee he wouldn't have gone missing.

Most of our team are pretty damn young, and following this year's draft we will have five or six first rounders added over the last three years.

Our window can stay open for a decade.

Back