Traded Bryce Gibbs [traded to Adelaide] - (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

I said his best years are behind him.

He'll be okay next year. Good even. But every one at 29 is heading downhill in sporting terms. The end is pretty close.

Even if you traded for him as late as this trade period he would still wind up playing 100 games for you meaning you could father/son the next generation.

Thought you blokes were all about planning for the future?

This post proves you have no idea what your missing out on by not trading hard enough to get him.

You can guarantee he plays 100 games for Adelaide can you?

Stop because you are embarrassing yourself and nobody will take you seriously if you keep writing things you can't prove. Next time just write IMO and you wil be fine:thumbsu:

I said it last year. The Gibbs trade scenario will be seen through the prism of this year's flag. If Adelaide win the flag they'll be completely vindicated in resisting Carlton's high price on Gibbs. However if they don't win, they'll have a lifetime to wonder about what price is too much for a flag. 20 years is a very long time for such a well resourced club.

Pretty much this...especially if it's Adelaide's midfield that is seen to have been the cause of the loss.

But thankfully for Adelaide their midfield has stepped up this year in particular the Crouch brothers, so their midfield need is certainly less than it was last year when they lost multiple games due to their midfield getting beaten.

I said it last year. The Gibbs trade scenario will be seen through the prism of this year's flag. If Adelaide win the flag they'll be completely vindicated in resisting Carlton's high price on Gibbs. However if they don't win, they'll have a lifetime to wonder about what price is too much for a flag. 20 years is a very long time for such a well resourced club.
Don't mean to be (too) pedantic, but it's been 19 years since our last flag. And, yes, 19 years is too long. 1 in every 18 they reckon...

You dont win flags by pulling your punches. Time will tell if Adelaide were right in their decision, but for Carlton we already know the club has made the right calls all the way.

You have to win the flag otherwise there'll always be the "what if" factor. Thats what you get for hedging your bets.

No, no, the question was, how much would you add to Bryce to upgrade him by trading in Pendles?? It's not difficult, you keep the experience and hard body looking after the kids. You give me your answer and then I'll factor that for the "certain premiership" value he'd bring. But, like most Carlton supporters, you'd actually need a sweetener to swap Gibbs for Pendles. You can admit it, it's ok, we all know this already.

Gibbs is a quality footballer in his prime , in a midfield that lacks depth. We didn't miss out, thanks for the concern though.

Yeh, we lack depth, just because they haven't played doesn't mean they're s**t. Greenwood was a project player at the beginning of the year and great judges like yourself would have had Matt Crouch a looooong way behind Gibbs. You guys have a defence that can't fit in Lever and a midfield that has your 3rd best being near equal to our best and yet you are just completely s**t. I'm guessing you'd be pretty unhappy with your coaching group.

No, no, the question was, how much would you add to Bryce to upgrade him by trading in Pendles?? It's not difficult, you keep the experience and hard body looking after the kids. You give me your answer and then I'll factor that for the "certain premiership" value he'd bring. But, like most Carlton supporters, you'd actually need a sweetener to swap Gibbs for Pendles. You can admit it, it's ok, we all know this already.

I dont understand your hypothetical. Why would Carlton trade Pendlebury in? What does he have to do with anything?

Is Pendlebury the new trade yardstick? Because I didnt get the memo...

Carlton don't have to sell.

His price will be either whatever it's worth for the club to let go of a player that has 2 years to run on a contract and most likely top 3 in this years bnf.

Or if what they get is enough to help them with another trade.

It may mean taking unders it could mean holding firm, but it will be about the net result either way.

Yeh, we lack depth, just because they haven't played doesn't mean they're s**t. Greenwood was a project player at the beginning of the year and great judges like yourself would have had Matt Crouch a looooong way behind Gibbs. You guys have a defence that can't fit in Lever and a midfield that has your 3rd best being near equal to our best and yet you are just completely s**t. I'm guessing you'd be pretty unhappy with your coaching group.

I was talking about the midfield that Bryce actually plays in, that being Carltons. I've never made any bold judgments about your side, because I appreciate you're well ahead of where the Blues are. I'm really happy with Bolton and his staff as well as the recruiting and list management. The only question I asked about the Crows revolved around the Reid/Roo attempted Trump domination tactics last year which were piss poor.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton don't have to sell.

His price will be either whatever it's worth for the club to let go of a player that has 2 years to run on a contract and most likely top 3 in this years bnf.

Or if what they get is enough to help them with another trade.

It may mean taking unders it could mean holding firm, but it will be about the net result either way.

Because that's such a big feat in a team which finished 16th?

There is no way he is worth 2 1st rounders.
1x1st and a late 2nd at best.
What has he done in his career? He has 3-4 years left at best

Everyone is worth what another will pay, but in principle I agree that he's not worth 2 first rounders. Not last year and not this year, but if Adelaide....

Bryce's value is what Carlton is willing to accept.

This is only because he is in contract, happy with the club and playing well.

It's a relatively rare situation where a player is performing well, happy to stay and in contract but also willing to be traded, but this is where we are.

Carlton can set the price they want, and if no one gets within the ballpark walk away comfortable.

Bryce's value is what Carlton is willing to accept.

This is only because he is in contract, happy with the club and playing well.

It's a relatively rare situation where a player is performing well, happy to stay and in contract but also willing to be traded, but this is where we are.

Carlton can set the price they want, and if no one gets within the ballpark walk away comfortable.

It is not an easy as this. Last year Bryce surprised Carlton with a trade request. Gave Carlton little chance to organize a fair deal and manage its weak midfield list. Hence SoS making a stand based on contract and saying Bryce/Crows needed to provide more notice to ensure a fair deal could be done.

I'm sure the question has been addressed internally between SoS and Gibbs but nothing official released as it compromises Carlton's trading position. The difference this year compared to last year is that Gibbs could honestly say, "I gave you fair notice and I want to go home". Last year Gibbs put it behind him and followed club rules, picked himself up and played hard for the Blues.

If he has followed SoS's rules then it is not just about Carlton's trade position, it is also about Gibbs requirements to go home. A deal will get done and Carlton will have to compromise a little to help the player home. If not Gibbs can rightly sulk next year after following SoS's trade requirements. Not saying he will sulk if no trade but wouldn't be surprised.

Just my opinion on where this sits if he requested a trade. No club wants a player that wants out regardless of cause.

Fitting within the above view, I put Gibbs value at a pick between 12-16. Nothing more, nothing less. Takes into account age and contract. I'm not sure how the Crows meet those requirements.

We don't have to take anything into account here!!! Bryce has a contract with us and we don't have to do a thing we don't want too!!!
So whatever we say it is we want is what gets the deal done end of discussion!!!!

So you're saying that if we had Gibbs we'd be guaranteed a flag?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back