Traded Bryce Gibbs [traded to Adelaide] - (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Rockliff is basically already at Carlton, which would suggest that Gibbs is out the door. A deal is probably already locked away. Huffing and puffing on BigFooty doesn't achieve anything.

The deal will most ceratinlly be Crows 1st rounder and a player , if one has been done at all.

We spent half of this season running around with two AFL standard midfielders. Rockcliff would walk into our midfield alongside Gibbs no problem.
Sounds exactly like how you rebuild. Add blokes that are in their late 20's. :drunk::drunk: Would have thought that Rockliff as a free agent and a first rounder would make a lot more sense from a list management point of view.

Sounds exactly how you rebuild. Add blokes that are in their late 20's. :drunk::drunk: Would have thought that Rockliff as a free agent and a first rounder would make a lot more sense from a list management point of view.
At some point young players need to learn how to win. Losing all the time may get you better draft picks but it doesn't build a winning culture. A decent first rounder might be nice but 16/17 is basically a second rounder in disguise and we really need to start winning.

At some point young players need to learn how to win. Losing all the time may get you better draft picks but it doesn't build a winning culture. A decent first rounder might be nice but 16/17 is basically a second rounder in disguise and we really need to start winning.
If your list management team shares that belief, then Carlton and it's fans are in for a world of pain as they will be cellar dwellars for years to come. You need to build a list that is competitive, which takes time. Being short sighted and claiming that you need to start winning now and topping up with senior players is only going to end in disaster. And the best you can hope for is hovering around making the 8. Remember when Malthouse was appointed. Look how that ended.

If your list management team shares that belief, then Carlton and it's fans are in for a world of pain as they will be cellar dwellars for years to come. You need to build a list that is competitive, which takes time. Being short sighted and claiming that you need to start winning now and topping up with senior players is only going to end in disaster. And the best you can hope for is hovering around making the 8. Remember when Malthouse was appointed. Look how that ended.
That doesn't actually work you know. That style of rebuilding has never worked. GC vs GWS was the ultimate case study proving that "playing the kids" and forcing them to perform roles for which they weren't ready ultimately leads to disaster. GWS recruited a bunch of recently retired or older players to support their young kids. Despite this weekend that approach clearly paid dividends.

That doesn't actually work you know. That style of rebuilding has never worked. GC vs GWS was the ultimate case study proving that "playing the kids" and forcing them to perform roles for which they weren't ready ultimately leads to disaster. GWS recruited a bunch of recently retired or older players to support their young kids. Despite this weekend that approach clearly paid dividends.
You can't honestly be comparing Carlton's list to GWS' list ?? GWS brought in senior players to support their unrivalled levels of talent. The key was how much talent they have on the list. There is a reason why there are so many question marks on their coaching staff now. Cameron can't drive the Ferrari etc, etc. No point drawing comparisons with Gold Coast either. They have the worst list manager in the league. It's my opinion he tried to predict the way the game was evolving with the players he was drafting and got it horribly wrong.

Looks extremely unlikely this trade will happen. Carlton simply value him too highly and Gibbs doesn't want out anymore.

Maybe come back in 2019.
If that is right, and you blokes are keeping Gibbs and bringing in Rockliff, then your list management team has lost the plot. Very good young players like Docherty and co can kiss goodbye the idea of playing in a premiership at Carlton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can't honestly be comparing Carlton's list to GWS' list ?? GWS brought in senior players to support their unrivalled levels of talent. The key was how much talent they have on the list. There is a reason why there are so many question marks on their coaching staff now. Cameron can't drive the Ferrari etc, etc. No point drawing comparisons with Gold Coast either. They have the worst list manager in the league. It's my opinion he tried to predict the way the game was evolving with the players he was drafting and got it horribly wrong.
I didn't compare either to Carlton but to each other. Read again.

Sorry mate, you can make as many mental leaps as you want but getting Rockcliff isn't relevant to the Gibbs discussion.

Feel sorry for Bryce. Missed out on his only chance at a Premiership medal.
Each to their own. Millionaire footballers doesn't tend to be a group of people I usually pity.

Personally I tend to feel sorry for the disabled, the homeless, the poor and the sick but that's just me. Maybe I'm weird.

If that is right, and you blokes are keeping Gibbs and bringing in Rockliff, then your list management team has lost the plot. Very good young players like Docherty and co can kiss goodbye the idea of playing in a premiership at Carlton.
How do you figure that? The Carlton midfield is paper thin hence why we didn't trade Gibbs last season. Adding Rockcliff gives us another mature body to help Cripps, Murphy and Gibbs.

We have plenty of cap space, might as well use it while we can.

I didn't compare either to Carlton but to each other. Read again.

Sorry mate, you can make as many mental leaps as you want but getting Rockcliff isn't relevant to the Gibbs discussion.
Don't confuse me with an Adelaide fan who is desperate to land Gibbs, cos that is not me. My posts are neutral observations of Carlton's list, and you are getting very antsy with your replies. Now, you were trying to make a case for why you think topping up with players like Rockliff is a good idea for Carlton, and tried to use the Suns and Giants as examples to make your point. My post responded as to why it's actually a terrible idea. If you honestly believe otherwise, I'd suggest that you don't give up your day job. Also, there is one correlation between the Neeld era Demons and Carlton's list management strategy that you haven't identified.

How do you figure that? The Carlton midfield is paper thin hence why we didn't trade Gibbs last season. Adding Rockcliff gives us another mature body to help Cripps, Murphy and Gibbs.

We have plenty of cap space, might as well use it while we can.
If you want to go nowhere, sure, great idea. You realise you finished third last, only just pipping the Suns on percentage by 2%. Kreuzer, Gibbs, Murphy, Cripps is a good foundation, if you add some highly talented kids. Paper thin is going a bit far. Build a list going forward that is capable of contending and put all the effort of now into ridding the blokes on your list who aren't up to it. Topping up with guys in their late 20's on big dollar contracts should be for teams who think they are on the verge of contending and are in a premiership window.

When Cripps went down this year along with Ed Curnow the lack of depth from the senior bodies was really noticeable. Rockliff is only a rumour at this stage but would offer instant quality as a mid heavy lifter. Your ideas on Carlton list management are really quite poorly thought through. Maybe stick with the Crows, Reid needs some help judging by his struggles in year one.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-25/star-blue-says-hes-not-planning-to-move

Gibbs, who finished fourth in the Blues best and fairest count last Friday, told AFL.com.au as he entered the Brownlow count on Monday night he had not made a move to leave Carlton.

When asked whether he will be at Carlton in 2018, he was diplomatic.

"As far as I know I'll be there," Gibbs said.

"We've had a great year, a really big learning year and taken a lot of steps forward and I'm looking forward to continuing that on next year."

When Cripps went down this year along with Ed Curnow the lack of depth from the senior bodies was really noticeable. Rockliff is only a rumour at this stage but would offer instant quality as a mid heavy lifter. Your ideas on Carlton list management are really quite poorly thought through. Maybe stick with the Crows, Reid needs some help judging by his struggles in year one.
Not poorly thought out, just not what one-eyed Carlton supporters want to hear. And another Carlton fan that can't help having a weak snipe. Typical.

Not poorly thought out, just not what one-eyed Carlton supporters want to hear. And another Carlton fan that can't help having a weak snipe. Typical.

This thread has been full of Crows sniping for 12 months. Looking at a quality free agent when hovering around minimum cap is nothing to do with Bing one eyed. Time to turn the mirror onto yourself with the sniping call.

This thread has been full of Crows sniping for 12 months. Looking at a quality free agent when hovering around minimum cap is nothing to do with Bing one eyed. Time to turn the mirror onto yourself with the sniping call.
Hahaha this is too much. Now I'm a sniper ?? I haven't once had a go at a Carlton fan here. What are you on about ?? You blokes really need to chill out a lot. If you honestly think bringing in Rockliff should be a priority for Carlton, to play alongside Gibbs and Murphy, then go for it. It's just not a very sustainable way to develop a list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back