Traded Bryce Gibbs [traded to Adelaide] - (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Any idea of the deal?
If its two first rounders I'm going to jump off a bridge.

They aren't my sources, just a fairly reliable go to person. It did involve 2 first rounders but it is all quite cloak and dagger.

I'm not prepared to put anything on the line. It's still possible nothing is being done.

Silly season ...

I’d give up 16 and if we got 18 for Cameron.

Pick 10 should be taken off the table immediately.

Don’t let me down Reidy

Any idea of the deal?
If its two first rounders I'm going to jump off a bridge.

I don’t want to get involved in a slanging match as I prefer legitimate discussion. I completely agree that 2 first round picks for Bryce Gibbs is overs. There’s 16 clubs who i don’t think should could or would pay that.

But from where I sit it seems like Adelaide are an exception. They’re in a clear window, just fell short this year, they’ve lost a good player (plus Brodie Smith), they need a player like Gibbs, he’s from SA & to rub salt into the wound their arch enemy has been significantly strengthened.

Not to mention the fact that Adelaide are stocked with picks & it’s supposed to be a weak draft. It feels like the perfect storm for Carlton, but I understand I could be blinded by some sort of bias.

Trading 2 first round picks for Bryce could be seen as irresponsible I understand that. Taking 2 first round picks to the draft & ultimately taking a weaker team to 2018 though isn’t ideal either.

I respect the complexity of Adelaides dilemma. Surely there are some Crows fans who just want to do it?

I have a feeling it will get done with Carlton throwing something back Adelaide’s way so everyone can walk away saving face.

I don’t want to get involved in a slanging match as I prefer legitimate discussion. I completely agree that 2 first round picks for Bryce Gibbs is overs. There’s 16 clubs who i don’t think should could or would pay that.

But from where I sit it seems like Adelaide are an exception. They’re in a clear window, just fell short this year, they’ve lost a good player (plus Brodie Smith), they need a player like Gibbs, he’s from SA & to rub salt into the wound their arch enemy has been significantly strengthened.

Not to mention the fact that Adelaide are stocked with picks & it’s supposed to be a weak draft. It feels like the perfect storm for Carlton, but I understand I could be blinded by some sort of bias.

Trading 2 first round picks for Bryce could be seen as irresponsible I understand that. Taking 2 first round picks to the draft & ultimately taking a weaker team to 2018 though isn’t ideal either.

I respect the complexity of Adelaides dilemma. Surely there are some Crows fans who just want to do it?

I have a feeling it will get done with Carlton throwing something back Adelaide’s way so everyone can walk away saving face.
Respect for the general discussion.

Funnily enough its almost the opposite issue Carlton has.
We want to get him in the door but don't want to give up the future.
Carlton probably want the picks/kids in the door but don't want to give up wins next year and experience in a position of weakness.

Somewhere between one first round pick and two first round picks (whether that be a player or swaps or whatever) would surely be sufficient for both parties.

I think they are attempting the 3-way at the moment.
You know its silly season when reports surface that the crows want Zorko for Cameron lol
Yep bloody ridiculous. I sure adelaide will do well out of the deal if it progresses, as they should for a contracted player and I am sure brisbane will have win as well, as will carlton

They aren't my sources, just a fairly reliable go to person. It did involve 2 first rounders but it is all quite cloak and dagger.

I'm not prepared to put anything on the line. It's still possible nothing is being done.

Silly season ...

I guess 2 first rounders can be involved without being the totality of the deal.

Ah dont worry about putting stuff on the line, its an anonymous internet forum.

Yeah its crazy. I still expect something to be said and/or done around it.

Yep bloody ridiculous. I sure adelaide will do well out of the deal if it progresses, as they should for a contracted player and I am sure brisbane will have win as well, as will carlton

I cant realistically see us ever asking for Zorko.
The only way I could've seen that if maybe it was a pick and cameron for Zorko. Even then, I cant see Brisbane ever letting the wizard go.

Seems like the flavour of the week for the media is trying to embarrass AFC.

I cant realistically see us ever asking for Zorko.
The only way I could've seen that if maybe it was a pick and cameron for Zorko. Even then, I cant see Brisbane ever letting the wizard go.

Seems like the flavour of the week for the media is trying to embarrass AFC.
Yeah not sure. Doesn't sound right but who knows

I think Gibbs is worth a late 1st & 2nd (depending on which club and their needs)

Adelaide, given current climate & circumstances, would probably pay slightly overs, but I do not think Gibbs is worth a net gain of 2 x 1st round picks

No he's not in terms of pure value, but he is considering where we are at and the fact that our preference is to keep him.

Carlton happy to keep him and Gibbs will be OK with staying just like he was this year.

It's not like the stringer situation where the club kicked him out or the player has issues with the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No he's not in terms of pure value, but he is considering where we are at and the fact that our preference is to keep him.

Carlton happy to keep him and Gibbs will be OK with staying just like he was this year.

It's not like the stringer situation where the club kicked him out or the player has issues with the club.

His value has nothing to do with where we are at. Yes, Carlton will indicate what they want to release him, that still has nothing to do with his worth.

His value is ultimately determined by the club/s courting him and what they are willing to pay.

Our supporters need to stop worrying about our results over the next 2 years and embrace an aggressive rebuild, trading Gibbs, for fair and reasonable value, will assist greatly with that process.

I was concerned that we didn't facilitate a trade last year, thankfully, his value has been retained, it will never be better than what it is this trade period

His value has nothing to do with where we are at. Yes, Carlton will indicate what they want to release him, that still has nothing to do with his worth.

His value is ultimately determined by the club/s courting him and what they are willing to pay.

Our supporters need to stop worrying about our results over the next 2 years and embrace an aggressive rebuild, trading Gibbs, for fair and reasonable value, will assist greatly with that process.

I was concerned that we didn't facilitate a trade last year, thankfully, his value has been retained, it will never be better than what it is this trade period

This was my point.
I think you'll find in this thread you'd be in a minority. Most of the blues fans demand more wins next year and see Gibbs as more important to that than a high draft pick or two.

2 days to go, we'll see what happens.

I get your point, but this phrase is wrong:

"His value has nothing to do with where we are at." - His value to his current team absolutely determines his worth...just as the team chasing him's situation affects how much they are willing to give him for Gibbs. Adelaide being a premiership contender impacts Gibbs' value relative to them, whereas Gibbs isn't worth a lot to a team like Brisbane.

There was speculation that Sydney gave up Mitchell relatively cheaply because they were having salary cap problems and couldn't do much about it.

There is 'pure value' which is taking out all external factors and simply looking at what a player's value is, but in the real world all these external factors change his true value. Even how a draft is rated year to year changes things since a pick 15 this year can be worth a different amount to pick 15 next year if it's a better draft, since ultimately you have a higher chance of drafting a better player.

This was my point.
I think you'll find in this thread you'd be in a minority. Most of the blues fans demand more wins next year and see Gibbs as more important to that than a high draft pick or two.

You are right, I am in the minority, not concerned with our win/loss ratio for the next 2 years, just ensuring that the rebuild continues the course and that the group is developed with the rebuild being the only priority

Trading of Gibbs, will be a win/win for both clubs

This was my point.

People will assess the situation differently but those on the other side of the argument see how weak our midfield is and argue that Gibbs is important to our DEVELOPMENT and GROWTH. Without him we'll stay down the bottom of the ladder and our culture will take a hit...recent premiers show culture > list.

If the premier was decided by who had the best list, GWS would win every year. Richmond actually had quite a lot of average players on paper in their premiership side...but a good culture and game plan saw them win.

You and others seem to argue stockpiling picks is better since Gibbs 'wont be in our next premiership side'...i would argue that's very Melbourne of 10 years ago thinking, where they jettisoned all their older players and just got games into kids and what happened? They kept getting smashed and basically none of their early draft picks at the time had much of a career...i'm talking Watts, Blease, Tapscott, Gysberts etc

It's short sighted to say 'oh but Gibbs won't win you a premiership and he'll only win you a few more games next year' since it's the development of our youngsters we need him for mainly.

I get your point, but this phrase is wrong:

"His value has nothing to do with where we are at." - His value to his current team absolutely determines his worth...just as the team chasing him's situation affects how much they are willing to give him for Gibbs. Adelaide being a premiership contender impacts Gibbs' value relative to them, whereas Gibbs isn't worth a lot to a team like Brisbane.

There was speculation that Sydney gave up Mitchell relatively cheaply because they were having salary cap problems and couldn't do much about it.

There is 'pure value' which is taking out all external factors and simply looking at what a player's value is, but in the real world all these external factors change his true value. Even how a draft is rated year to year changes things since a pick 15 this year can be worth a different amount to pick 15 next year if it's a better draft, since ultimately you have a higher chance of drafting a better player.

Agree with many of your points and of course, it is all about supply and demand.

Example: Selling a rare bottle of wine, before it turns to vinegar

If you advertise this rare bottle of wine, above market price, you will have people contacting you. They want it, but they will not pay absolute overs. If you are willing to negotiate and still sell it for a great price, the value may start to drop the following year (Form drop off), the year after, it could be worthless (Injury ends your career)

If you really want an omelette for breakfast on sunday morning, and you're out of eggs, you have to go to the servo to get them. You pay overs, but you get the eggs and it's worth as it's the best tasting omelette you've ever had.

Servos normally sell caged eggs, omelettes taste a million times better with free range eggs.

Gibbs is a caged egg, he's not free range for another 2 years.

If you really want an omelette for breakfast on sunday morning, and you're out of eggs, you have to go to the servo to get them. You pay overs, but you get the eggs and it's worth as it's the best tasting omelette you've ever had.
Nah id just get brekkie at maccas... Saves from cooking and cleaning and you know exactly what you get and the price.

People will assess the situation differently but those on the other side of the argument see how weak our midfield is and argue that Gibbs is important to our DEVELOPMENT and GROWTH. Without him we'll stay down the bottom of the ladder and our culture will take a hit...recent premiers show culture > list.

If the premier was decided by who had the best list, GWS would win every year. Richmond actually had quite a lot of average players on paper in their premiership side...but a good culture and game plan saw them win.

You and others seem to argue stockpiling picks is better since Gibbs 'wont be in our next premiership side'...i would argue that's very Melbourne of 10 years ago thinking, where they jettisoned all their older players and just got games into kids and what happened? They kept getting smashed and basically none of their early draft picks at the time had much of a career...i'm talking Watts, Blease, Tapscott, Gysberts etc

It's short sighted to say 'oh but Gibbs won't win you a premiership and he'll only win you a few more games next year' since it's the development of our youngsters we need him for mainly.

Yeah but Melbourne didnt have a Marc Murphy/Kade Simpson or anyone of that quality (both player and person).
I think the idea is you cant get rid of everyone, but if you leave a couple of leaders you look more like the bulldogs than the demons.

2 first rounders on offer from Adelaide with a future 2nd rounder going back to Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back