Roast Bryce Gibbs

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
And gave up a second. The only realistic way to view it is he cost us two firsts and we upgraded our second rounder and got a third.
People can talk points all they like, but first round talent is hard to get. If we put Gibbs on the trade table at the end of the year we would be lucky to get a third rounder for him. It was a stupid trade that will cost us in the future.
But because they finished last it was close to the pick 16 that we traded to them last year. And given the difference in the quality of the 2017 draft compared to 2018 draft, you could even mount a good case you would trade 2018 pick 21 for 2017 pick 16......so the Gibbs trade was pick 10 plus a downgrade of pick 12 from pick 28. Very smart trade, he was easily worth this the 1st half of last year.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
IIRC Gibbs was really good at the start of last year when the Crouch bro's were having injury issues and out of the side wasn't he?

He's never been great at half back and we hadn't played him there since early in his career.

In his last few years with us he had a number of ridiculously huge games, like 30+ possessions, 2 goals, 7 tackles type games playing as a ball hunting mid.
You've hit the nail on the head, he's being played out of position now and ultimately isn't the kind of player you need given you have the Crouch bros, Sloane, CEY and Greenwood.

In all the pre-trade arguing I had him as our 4th best mid behind Crouches and Sloane. He’d be ahead of the other 2 ordinarily, but CEY is giving us big minutes of pure grunt in there. Greenwood equally on the outer in terms of midfield role and I still reckon it’s because neither can run hard enough due to their preseasons. We become a better side with a fit and firing Gibbs in our midfield rotations and I hope we see him build strongly towards September. Greenwood too.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Surely the AFC rated him outside the top 20, that's at least 1 club.

Extremely likely the clubs who used picks 17 and 18 did as well.

You can’t even say that. Might have had him at 19 or even 17 but rated the pick swap on the table higher. Hell, McHenry and Stocker could both have been rated early teens by us. Nothing that happened on draft night contradicts that being a possibility. One thing is certain, McHenry is rated pretty highly given we turned down the swap at his pick.

Maggsy

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I wonder if we'd trade him at year end for a 2nd round pick..? Me personally... I would.

He reeks of a guy just collecting a paycheck. I worry about the rumors about him too. The end of his career could be nigh.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
That's why I said the convoluted draft points back this argument.....even Carlton supporters and Kane Cornes are saying it, we gave 2 1st rounders but got a pick back (the pick 21 which is close to pick 16 that we gave the previous year). We didn't hand over 2 1st rounders for Gibbs.
The way I see it we handed over two first rounders
They then handed us Gibbs and a second rounder.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I wonder if we'd trade him at year end for a 2nd round pick..? Me personally... I would.

He reeks of a guy just collecting a paycheck. I worry about the rumors about him too. The end of his career could be nigh.
We are not going to trade him to Port under any circumstances.

Dixie Normous

Premiership Player
May 13, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Heard a strong rumour from a couple of guys at work that he may have played his last game for the club, hope it isn't true

ChilliP

All Australian
Nov 8, 2018
Goolwa
AFL Club
Adelaide
The Fox Footy Sam McLure clone said "I can say categorically there are no off field issues keeping Gibbs out of the side". Said there is no personality clash with Pyke, said Campo is the coach wanting Gibbs to play SANFL because of defensive work he is not doing.

I feel like Gibbs is the prototypical 50/50 inside/outside midfielder, so expecting him to have contested ball and tackle stats like an inside midfielder is wanting him to be a player that he has never been.

Mar 26, 2015
The Land of Apricot Slice
AFL Club
Adelaide
The Fox Footy Sam McLure clone said "I can say categorically there are no off field issues keeping Gibbs out of the side". Said there is no personality clash with Pyke, said Campo is the coach wanting Gibbs to play SANFL because of defensive work he is not doing.

I feel like Gibbs is the prototypical 50/50 inside/outside midfielder, so expecting him to have contested ball and tackle stats like an inside midfielder is wanting him to be a player that he has never been.
Gibbs isn't non-statistical enough for Campo.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

Campo says Gibbs isn’t running the patterns.

Sep 8, 2008
argentina
AFL Club
Adelaide
No way we take McPherson at 16. Not a chance.
Yeah no chance 🙄

Those two boys were very high on our talent order. You've got pretty much the two South Australian captains we were able to pick," Ogilvie said.

"If Andrew hadn't have been injured, who knows? We rated him as a first-rounder at the start of the year when we put our list up. Unfortunately he got injured.

“We didn't think he was going to get through. We know West Coast and Geelong had strong interest.

"If you had have said that to any club, that Andrew McPherson would be 39 in this year's draft in January, they would've said you were dreaming."

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeah no chance 🙄

Those two boys were very high on our talent order. You've got pretty much the two South Australian captains we were able to pick," Ogilvie said.

"If Andrew hadn't have been injured, who knows? We rated him as a first-rounder at the start of the year when we put our list up. Unfortunately he got injured.

“We didn't think he was going to get through. We know West Coast and Geelong had strong interest.

"If you had have said that to any club, that Andrew McPherson would be 39 in this year's draft in January, they would've said you were dreaming."
You dont fall for that "we cant believe he was still on the boards. We rated him in the best 10 prospects" line do you? The one trotted out every year by every list manager? If you do then I have some property I would like to sell you.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
And I consider 2017's pick 16 and 2018's pick 21 as both 1st rounders, actually I would prefer 2018's pick 21 out of the two due to it being the considerable stronger draft.
Just stop. Kelly and other quality players were picked after pick 16 in 2017.

We know very little of the quality of players after pick 21 in 18.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just stop. Kelly and other quality players were picked after pick 16 in 2017.

We know very little of the quality of players after pick 21 in 18.
And who's to say there aren't more Kelly after pick 21 in 2018 compared to 2017. Kelly missed 5 drafts and then was drafted by Geelong with pick 24 as a 23 year old, very unique situation so you shouldn't use him as an example, the others are developing so-so, hence I still prefer that pick 21 then 16.

thebirdman 24

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
heard some rumors today that beams was in major gambling debt with unlicensed bookies and eddie mcguire paid it off which helped with his move back to Collingwood and then it was mentioned bryce is in a similar situation... he is yet to play in Melbourne this year as far as i can remember.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
heard some rumors today that beams was in major gambling debt with unlicensed bookies and eddie mcguire paid it off which helped with his move back to Collingwood and then it was mentioned bryce is in a similar situation... he is yet to play in Melbourne this year as far as i can remember.
Yeah he missed the north and st Kilda games.

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
Old mate on the portz board reckons a channel 9 exec told him today the rumours are all true, the media knows everything but aren't reporting it because Gibbs is separated from the mrs and the media are concerned for his mental health.

Reckons the crows paid off his debts before he came home on proviso he would stay out of gambling.

Surely that would come under salary cap?

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Old mate on the portz board reckons a channel 9 exec told him today the rumours are all true, the media knows everything but aren't reporting it because Gibbs is separated from the mrs and the media are concerned for his mental health.

Reckons the crows paid off his debts before he came home on proviso he would stay out of gambling.

Surely that would come under salary cap?
I’d say bullshit.

Gibbs has shots of his family often on Instagram, including the 4 day break they just had.

Crows would only do that if they included it in the salary cap, the chance they’d do something dodgy after Tippett is 0.0.

Back