'BT' and Darcy: The Worst Commentary Team in History?

Remove this Banner Ad

I notice that Channel 7 have reunited BT and Darce for at least two matches this year (last Sunday's Essendon versus Western Bulldogs match and the Easter Monday match). Anyone know if this will be a regular thing?

With the two Jakes (Melksham and Carlisle) off to other clubs at least Essendon fans won't have to put up with the word 'Jakey' being said every few minutes when BT and Darcy call Essendon matches.
Jakey Stringer

BT is an embarrassment and the game will be better off without him.

Just look at his previous commentary when Mitchell got incorrectly done for holding the ball and BT is practically yelling at the umpire. No professional commentator should be berating a match official in the manner BT just did.
I agree. Brian Taylor is an irritating commentator and an all-round wombat

BT is a *en moron. He gets about 40% of the players names wrong, sometimes has no idea which way a team is kicking and is less intelligent than my dog. My dog is a Border Collie so he is smart for a dog, but I could have an Irish Setter and the statement would still hold up. Arrogant prick who shouldn’t be subjected on the public.

The problem with BTs commentary is hes trying to predict the play rather than call it.
Always trying to ask the question.
And he f***** the call of Elliots goal yesterday. Hes just ******* s**t and I hope 7 loses the rights.

Last edited:
How many times did he and Brayshaw mention that if Carlton win or draw they were in?
I think by the time the game started everyone knew the equation.
We didn't need to be reminded of it every five minutes.

The problem with BTs commentary is hes trying to predict the player rather than call it.
And he ed the call of Elliots goal yesterday. Hes just ****** s**t and I hope 7 loses the rights.

Latest news is that 7 is likely to retain a share of the rights. But even if they lost the rights it is possible that the new network or networks showing the footy may recruit him. BT used to call the Sunday twilight for Foxtel from 2007 to 2011 before moving to 7 in 2012. It would be good if 7 listened to the public and have commentators who are competent calling the games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BT predictably jizzed all over his mic when Carlton committed Sep aku.....but there was no ‘wowee’...

Latest news is that 7 is likely to retain a share of the rights. But even if they lost the rights it is possible that the new network or networks showing the footy may recruit him. BT used to call the Sunday twilight for Foxtel from 2007 to 2011 before moving to 7 in 2012. It would be good if 7 listened to the public and have commentators who are competent calling the games.

Problem with competency as a commentator is that it requires honesty which with the amount of social justice warriors running around can be dangerous. Honesty leads to opinions and potentially causing controversy. It's much more cost effective for networks to have idiots that spout drivel as people know they are idiots and spouting drivel. The less meaningful conversation that is had the least likely something will be said that causes offence. Let's be honest, enough people will watch regardless of the quality of commentary that the few they lose because of a lack of competence won't make much of a difference.

Problem with competency as a commentator is that it requires honesty which with the amount of social justice warriors running around can be dangerous. Honesty leads to opinions and potentially causing controversy. It's much more cost effective for networks to have idiots that spout drivel as people know they are idiots and spouting drivel. The less meaningful conversation that is had the least likely something will be said that causes offence. Let's be honest, enough people will watch regardless of the quality of commentary that the few they lose because of a lack of competence won't make much of a difference.

Interesting take.

I’d argue you’re giving the Network Chiefs far too much credit.

These guys tailor their product to the poorest, most dis-enfranchised demographic - and tell the target audience they are getting the best.

It’ll never change until Streamed telecasts become as cheap as a half dozen cans......and it swings back to being about game choice over three or four channels - basically Foxtel on steroids.

The problem with BTs commentary is hes trying to predict the play rather than call it.
And he f*** the call of Elliots goal yesterday. Hes just ***** s**t and I hope 7 loses the rights.
Roy and HG spent some time on their radio show last year bagging BT. HG remarked "BT's skill is that he calls a game he imagines is taking place, rather than the actual game playing out in front of him".

Roy and HG spent some time on their radio show last year bagging BT. HG remarked "BT's skill is that he calls a game he imagines is taking place, rather than the actual game playing out in front of him".
He has to kick at the left goal post only for the ball to go the other way

How many times did he and Brayshaw mention that if Carlton win or draw they were in?
I think by the time the game started everyone knew the equation.
We didn't need to be reminded of it every five minutes.

Regrettably Australian sports commentary is predicated on horse-race calling.

All media employers expect their callers to ‘fill space’ - they believe it engenders ‘excitement’.

What it actually does is lead to buffoonery and drivel- in the end we get a repetitive, under-researched, hysterical clown act that a % of the viewing audience accepts as ‘good sport broadcasting’.

The rest of us see it for what it is - a superannuation club for sub-intellect footballers and motor-mouthed sycophants.

Regrettably Australian sports commentary is predicated on horse-race calling.

All media employers expect their callers to ‘fill space’ - they believe it engenders ‘excitement’.

What it actually does is lead to buffoonery and drivel- in the end we get a repetitive, under-researched, hysterical clown act that a % of the viewing audience accepts as ‘good sport broadcasting’.

The rest of us see it for what it is - a superannuation club for sub-intellect footballers and motor-mouthed sycophants.
Yes, very correct there.

AFL calling is probably the most Muzaky of all the professional sports in world that I have watched. Just a drone with an occasional moment of content.

The way BT was blatantly barracking for Richmond last night was disgraceful.

The way BT was blatantly barracking for Richmond last night was disgraceful.
Yep, these dinosaurs still can’t get over it becoming the ‘AFL’ - they still think people go into ‘auto-barrack’ for the Victorian sides.

I wouldn't support the WB or Richmond if I was drafted to them!

Yep, these dinosaurs still can’t get over it becoming the ‘AFL’ - they still think people go into ‘auto-barrack’ for the Victorian sides.

I wouldn't support the WB or Richmond if I was drafted to them!

The Swans and the Lions are both Victorian. Lol

I was born in Australia. If I relocated to Africa I wouldn’t stop being Australian. FMD

As for BT and Darcy they’re troglodytes. But they have the last laugh because they are well paid troglodytes!

The Swans and the Lions are both Victorian. Lol

I was born in Australia. If I relocated to Africa I wouldn’t stop being Australian. FMD

As for BT and Darcy they’re troglodytes. But they have the last laugh because they are well paid troglodytes!

Unlike you or I...the Trogs have forgotten about those teams pedigree - as do every Vic team whenever they play us, at the MCG. Even last night the Melbourne ground announcer tried playing the old ‘interstate rivalry’ card.

Not sure what you’re rabbiting on about with the Africa reference - you seem to be confused by the simple concept that the Trogs don’t see the Swans or Lions as ‘Victorian’.

BTW, have you found your teeth yet?😆🙄

Remove this Banner Ad

Back