BT commentating

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t mind his commentary except for when he diverts away completely and wants to push some minor point of clarification with ‘Hodgey’.

Wish he’d punch down on Hame instead.

Seems off field most have some story involving him being a campaigner. He used to coach his sons basketball team in Kyneton and was told he tried to finish a previous game early because it ran over the starting time of his team’s match.

He’s got some narcissist vibes.
loved for bolded

He used to annoy the s**t out of me, but I've gotten used to him and don't mind him too much now. There are way worse commentators out there that actively make the game worse with their commentating like Jobe Watson (How on earth does he still have a commentating job?) and Kelli Underwood etc. Can totally see why BT would annoy people though, he does say a lot of dumb s**t, and very loudly.
Seconded.

The really great commentators (Hudson) make their call all about the game.
Some (JB) make it all about themself and sometimes the others in the box.
Except when he wants to brand a moment with something iconic. :sickv1:
Most of the rest are muzak.
BT makes the whole game HIS show. :poov1:

I realised how much of a flog he was when on Dyl & Friends he basically told people not to approach him when he’s at Lorne with his buddies. Made this big song and dance for a good 5-10 minutes about it too.

I have made it my mission to launch his deckchair off the Lorne pier this summer. I’m ready for it too. I’ve been in a running program for 4 weeks now, nobody is catching me as I stride down the foreshore with his deckchair under my arm.
Your best post

The really great commentators (Hudson) make their call all about the game.
Some (JB) make it all about themself and sometimes the others in the box.

I think Brayshaw has been pretty good at straight calling on 7 this year. If he leaves the triple m crap for triple m, he is actually a very good caller.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By the way, to all the ad executives who think BT being the face of McDonalds advertising is a good thing: - I've already stopped buying their cardboard tasting burgers (you'd reckon when you order a quarter pounder through the drive thru they'd actually put meat in the burger - I'm looking at you staff at Preston Maccas) but that ad with BT fellating the microphone and then breathing all over the burgers has put me off their product for life.

Sorry Ronald McDonald, Grimace, Mayor McCheese et al but your brainwashing of my childhood has been undone by a third rate AFL commentator.

I've posted this before, but it's the best example I can give of BT's self-aggrandising style of commentary

In 2015, Hawthorn travelled to WA and played West Coast in one of the best matches of the season. The Hawks took the lead for the first time in the game in the 4th quarter when Roughead gathered the ball just inside the the boundary line, drew two Eagles defenders towards him and then fired a 20m handball over their heads to Cyril who dished off quickly to Liam Shiels for the go-ahead goal.

BT's commentary for that play went as follows...

"... and now Roughead...

That was out of bounds!

THAT WAS OUT OF BOUNDS!!

THAT WAS OUT OF BOUNDS!!

THAT! WAS! OUT! OF! BOUNDS!!

As Shiels goals..."

Except that it wasn't out of bounds. The boundary ump was right on the spot and judged that the whole of the ball had not completely crossed the line. BT was confused by the parallax error. He saw a gap between the ball in Roughie's hand and a spot on the boundary line about 3 metres away to Roughie's left where the line curved around.

It was a huge moment in the game and a great team goal. But the moment was ruined by BT's ineptitude and arrogance. I wouldn't make an issue of it, nor would I have even remembered if it had been a one-off error, but it was just typical of the way BT does his best to ruin the game for everyone watching.
Poor commentary like this ruins a lot of potential history. Imagine a player kicking goal of the year or do something great for it having a poor commentator ruin it like this. Imagine if we had Leo Barry's mark in the 2005 grand final with someone like BT going off about something else that's irrelevant. Would really ruin the moment.

AFL can pretend like commentators mean nothing and continue to use these dumb ex footy players but what they really are doing is hurting the game and missing potential history highlights of the game that could of been way bigger then what these plays ended up being cause of poor commentary.

I basically turn the sound off. There has not been a game this year where Ive liked all the commentators.

And Ive watched at least 2 or 3 games a week, every week.
Two or three games a week? I hope that you’re not only watching channel 7?

Channel 7 clearly know people will watch them no matter what, their production and graphic standards are cheap and amateur so why not save millions on their commentary too and put in amateur no name commentators. They'll do a better job than the current expert special comments who are literally just Captain Obvious' (apart from Burgoyne and maybe Hodge - except Hodge's voice is so jarring and not suited to commentary).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back