Mega Thread Buckley Contract extension

Does Nathan deserve a contract extension?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem with challenging in all games and winning 9 is that this is a results based industry. For me and possibly a lot of others on BF it's hard to justify re signing Buckley on the back his results.
Good thing the Collingwood Football Club doesn't exist to appease you and others on BigFooty.

Melbourne were set up to play finals this year, and you fell short. Given that, what is a pass mark for Goodwin next year in this 'results based industry', totally ignoring any other data from within the club that may not be public knowledge?

Here's my take on Buckley getting re-appointed.

Now, I have no firm opinion of Buckley as a person, as I have not met him.

But he could be the best bloke on earth, but he is not paid for that. He is paid to deliver success, and on that, he has failed.

The members care about success, not what a good bloke Nathan Buckley is.

I rate whether to keep a coach or not on "forward progression". As in, has the team improved every year.

It is unfair to base it soley on premierships. Some coaches won't get a flag out of a building team for a while. Is Chris Fagan a bad coach if Brisbane don't win a flag, despite their players needing three or four preseasons to build themselves up, and build a team who can then get into finals and grand finals.

Buckley has been there six years. Every year they have finished lower than the last. Collingwood had come off a Grand Final win, and a GF loss when Buckley got there. Yet he got rid of the "brat pack". The problem is those players were players vital to success.

Buckley tried to change the club culture. Except that he changed it from a winning culture, to a losing one. Heath Shaw might be a clown, but he is also a great defender, and Collingwood would have been better keeping him. Jolly, Shaw, Lumumba and Cloke have all left the club since Bucks has been there.

The media have defended Bucks and made excuses for him. But many of them worked with Buckley when he was in the media, and sat shoulder to shoulder with him. I fear that many of them have let their friendship with him cloud their judgement of him. It's the same reason Michael Voss didn't get criticised more for his coaching of Brisbane, and turning them into a basket case.

I think the real reason Buckley is still there is because, to sack him, means that Eddie's succession plan of taking the job off Malthouse and giving it to Buckley, has failed. Eddie will never admit that he is wrong, so he would rather keep an unperforming coach, who he was a fanboy of when Buckley played, rather than find someone who can do the job better.

What do Collingwood stand for? If they were rebuilding, then Buckley would deserve more time. But bringing in Chris Mayne and Daniel Wells doesn't scream "rebuild". If Collingwood instead think that they are in a premiership window, so then bring in these old players from other clubs, then it has failed to get them to finals, let alone take advantage of any perceived premiership window.

In the end, results matter, and Buckley has failed to deliver. Pure and simple. Sure there are those who were against him replacing Malthouse from day one, but the way to win them over would have been for Buckley to win flags, and then all is forgiven. Bucks has done nothing to dissuade the naysayers.
Have you just summarised all the anti-Buckley sentiments from this thread?

You lost me when you referenced Jolly, Shaw, Lumumba and Cloke.

If Jolly was so invaluable, why weren't there other clubs lining up for his services when he was cut loose?

Adams in, Shaw out seems a good trade right now, and will only be better in five years time.

Lumumba - how did he go at Melbourne?

Cloke - we persisted with him until the end of 2016, and how did he go at the Dogs this year?

Did you forget about Leon Davis?

Despite all that, wouldn't it be great if every decision a football club made was the right one? Unfortunately we live in the real world and sometimes things just don't turn out like we hope or predict.

The bottom line is there are a lot smarter people than you, I and others on this forum with a lot more data than we have access to, who are empowered to make this decision. To the opposition supporters who are taking a free swing at us, enjoy it whilst you can. To the so-called Collingwood supporters who are bagging out all and sundry for the decision, there are 17 other clubs in the competition and don't let the door hit your droopy ar$e on the way out...

Thank goodness he did, the narrative of his ruination still has a few years left in it, there's at least one talking point each season already

Thank goodness he did, the narrative of his ruination still has a few years left in it, there's at least one talking point each season already
Errr the last time Brisbane finished above Collingwood on the ladder, I was still in high school, what does that say about the narrative of your mob?

It doesn't need to be a mentor, it's the whole footballing department/support system that needs a revamp. Buckley has been in the role for 6 years, he shouldn't still need a mentor. It's changing the support he has around him, which I'm led to believe is the direction the club is heading in. If they can bring in a Roos or Bomber as a 'director of coaching' to provide some proven successful experience, I'm all for it too if it'll develop Buckley into a better coach.
I'm thinking he probably needs more of a mentor. Eddie pretty much said his support quit. Of course being Eade and Malthouse. But definitely needs support off field to. Not sure how the Mayne deal got through.

Good thing the Collingwood Football Club doesn't exist to appease you and others on BigFooty.

Melbourne were set up to play finals this year, and you fell short. Given that, what is a pass mark for Goodwin next year in this 'results based industry', totally ignoring any other data from within the club that may not be public knowledge?
Barring a disaster finals is a pass for Goodwin next year.

I'm thinking he probably needs more of a mentor. Eddie pretty much said his support quit. Of course being Eade and Malthouse. But definitely needs support off field to. Not sure how the Mayne deal got through.
It was not his decision, thank grubby for Mayne

If they found a way, I would love a Malthouse back at Collingwood working with Buckley in the role he had initially signed on for. Something tells me they'd work extremely well together*, especially as Malthouse knows Collingwood well.

Mayne was a misguided attempt at replacing Cloke with another experienced forward. Egg is still squarely on faces with that one.

* when I say work well together, I meant as in if they actually got along, they'd work well together. I don't think they'd actually WORK.WELL.TOGETHER.

Yeah that's what I mean by support off the field. No help to Buckley with deals like that.
Are leadership off field has poor since Walsh left the first time, a merry go round, and that is one of the reasons in buckley staying

What happens if Collingwood finish bottom 4 in 2018. This backwards trend will still be continuing under Buckley. Will they bite the bullet and rebuild again. Trading two pick 7s for treloar was a huge mistake. The two players they lost were griffin logue and Sam weideman. Who would they take now??

What happens if Collingwood finish bottom 4 in 2018. This backwards trend will still be continuing under Buckley. Will they bite the bullet and rebuild again. Trading two pick 7s for treloar was a huge mistake. The two players they lost were griffin logue and Sam weideman. Who would they take now??
We could stay the same, but bottom four no. Hopefully take pick 6 to the draft, and and next year if in the same spot.
If the same or worse the coach will have a good list at his finger tips

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're saying Logue and Weideman are better than Treloar?

We could stay the same, but bottom four no. Hopefully take pick 6 to the draft, and and next year if in the same spot.
If the same or worse the coach will have a good list at his finger tips
This doesn't answer the question. Who would Coll take now. The coach you mention. Is that Buckley in two years if you get pick 6 two years in a row?? Finishing 13th in 2017 and 2018 and 2019 you would think would end Buckley once and for all. I reckon even if Coll start 0-2 next year he's in trouble if not Eddie would be by the board.

You're saying Logue and Weideman are better than Treloar?
Together yes. Not today but maybe in years to come. Two first rounders if you hit is a mistake to give up for one player. I hope Carlton don't give up 2017 and 18 first rounders for Kelly. The 2018 top 4 would be a huge decision to give up on as the 17 year olds in that group right now would go top 4 in 2017. Two top 4 picks though is huge to give up compared to two pick 7s. I doubt Coll would of given up the future pick if they knew they'd get pick 7 in hindsight.

This doesn't answer the question. Who would Coll take now. The coach you mention. Is that Buckley in two years if you get pick 6 two years in a row?? Finishing 13th in 2017 and 2018 and 2019 you would think would end Buckley once and for all. I reckon even if Coll start 0-2 next year he's in trouble if not Eddie would be by the board.

Who is Kruezer? ;)

Together yes. Not today but maybe in years to come. Two first rounders if you hit is a mistake to give up for one player. I hope Carlton don't give up 2017 and 18 first rounders for Kelly. The 2018 top 4 would be a huge decision to give up on as the 17 year olds in that group right now would go top 4 in 2017. Two top 4 picks though is huge to give up compared to two pick 7s. I doubt Coll would of given up the future pick if they knew they'd get pick 7 in hindsight.
The club definitely paid more than they thought they would, but there are no regrets from anyone's perspective really. Treloar hasn't had an elite year but he's still a top notch midfielder with room to improve. Weideman and Brodie are in my opinion, the two that the Pies would have taken with the pick 7's but even still, they haven't produced anything spectacular to date. Too early to judge the deal.

Sorry if we are 13th next year and the same in 2019 he will not survive, and a new coach will be appointed for 2020. Bottom 4 next year will not survive.
0-2 nil start he will be ok, but if we do a Sydney at 0-6 he won't, but will probably coach out the year, cause Eddie will let him.
We improve next year and the year after he will be coach in2020

Also if we take pick 6 to the draft, hoping brander will still be there, if so future with Darcy will look bright

Back