News Buckley Responds to Robinson Tweet

Remove this Banner Ad

Whenever I hear Robbo apologise, as he did again on AFL360 last night, I always get the feeling it is a forced apology and not real

That's because he has difficulty reading the teleprompter.

You're right... condemnation of something not liked in itself is fair and is no imposition on free speech.

The problem here is partly the topic matter soliciting censorship of Robbo itself because of PC enforced around an issue like mental health. This censorship is enforced by advocates and by those with the mentality to call for someones sacking as soon as that person offends them... or worse, orchestrate a campaign of intimidation to have that person sacked.

Consequently there is trend of public figures being fired because of comments that offended someone, somewhere... or at best being threatened with the sack if they don't apologise because of the hassle they have created. Therein lies the PC applied censorship.

Who thinks Robbo would've apologised voluntarily? Soon as word got out his agent would've been called and Robbo forced to mea culpa.

Interesting thought, I am a firm believer in freedom of speech too however there will always be consequences to what you say. Herald Sun of AFL 360 being private institutions are well within their rights to sack somebody if they do not believe their values are consistent with their own or even tell them to apologies if they wish to continue their employment with them. Boycott and complaint is peoples way of voicing their displeasure for someone like Robbo.

For what its worth I wouldn't sack him for this, I too think he has the right to say practically anything he wants but don't have an issue for him getting called out for it. I haven't followed this issue at all, but if people are calling for him to get sacked I would question why they would let it get to them so much. Have always found it easier to ignore someone or not give them the time of day then get offended.

In regards to what he said, I don't think it is really politically incorrect and moreso taking a not so subtle dig at someone who may or may not be going through some serious issues - just seems unnecessary and typical garbage journalism from Robbo.

I'd like to move the question away from whether "Robbo" had a right to post the tweet or not to "would a good person post that?".

Arguing about his freedom of speech might be missing the big picture i.e. it was at best an insensitive and ill-considered thing to do but more likely he was just being an a***hole.

I wish we didn't have such morally bankrupt people covering the game. It devalues my experience. As cringeworthy as McAvaney has been, he was a gentleman is this respect.
When it comes to collingwood we know he has an agenda
Hasn't recovered from 1990

Remove this Banner Ad

Back