News Buckley standing down; Robert Harvey interim coach for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 11, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Big news!!

Nathan Buckley is poised to step down as coach of Collingwood, midway through his 10th season at the helm of the Magpies.

Buckley was expected to tell the football department and players of his decision on Wednesday morning, ending months of speculation about his position.

Sources said it was most likely Buckley would finish up after coaching the club against Melbourne on Queen’s Birthday but The Age has not confirmed whether that will be his last game.

Club press release:

Nathan Buckley to coach last match

With hearts heavy Nathan Buckley and Collingwood have agreed to part ways.

After almost 10 seasons and 217 matches in charge, Buckley will coach the team for the last time next Monday when Collingwood meets Melbourne at the SCG.

“Everything has its time and the club and I have reached ours,” Buckley said.

“Graham (Wright) and I have been in conversation consistently in the last few months about what the path forward is for the program and what it needs to progress.

“When it came to the senior coaching role it became clear that a clean slate, for new energies and a new voice, was necessary. So that is what has been decided.

“I’ve loved every moment of my time at the club and in any role I have given my all to it. This program is full of so many great people who are committed and connected to one another absolutely.

“I’ll miss being a part of that but will always feel like a part of me is left with them. I sincerely wish all of the staff, coaches and players every success.”

Collingwood CEO Mark Anderson paid tribute to Buckley’s near three decades of service to Collingwood and especially his commitment to always place the interests of the club first.

“True greatness doesn’t depend on how long or how much or how many but on the legacy of those things. What they stand for. And to Collingwood people Nathan Buckley stands for just about everything they want the black and white striped jumper to represent,” Anderson said.

“This is a tough day for our club. While we can all see the wisdom in moving on, we know that he will be missed. He is a towering figure in the history of Collingwood.

“Our discussions were all based around what was good for the club and for Nathan, who reminded us all, regularly, that Collingwood had to come first. That is one of the many reasons why he will be forever Collingwood. On behalf of our club, I thank him.”

Collingwood GM of Football, Graham Wright, added his thanks.

“Nathan is a person of the highest quality, with great morals and values. In all of our discussions he was only ever interested in ‘the best thing for the football club’ and once we were both clear on that we had further discussions with Mark (Anderson) and the board to finalize how and when was the best time,” Wright said.

“On behalf of the entire club, I want to acknowledge and thank him for his selflessness and utter decency.”

After the match against Melbourne, Robert Harvey will succeed Buckley as interim senior coach for the remainder of the season.

A five person panel will have responsibility for the process of appointing a permanent successor. The panel will consist of Mark Anderson, Graham Wright, football director Paul Licuria and fellow board member Peter Murphy.

The fifth member, who is yet to be appointed, will be an experienced football person who has previously been involved in the selection of senior coaches.

Buckley’s contribution to Collingwood as a player and coach is one that few – and none in the modern era – have bettered.

He played 260 matches for the club, winning six Copeland Trophies, Brownlow and Norm Smith medals and seven All-Australian blazers. He captained the club for nine seasons.

There is no more decorated Collingwood playing career.

Buckley retired at the end of the 2007 season and spent two seasons in the media before returning to the club as an assistant coach in preparation for his appointment as senior coach from 2012.

He led Collingwood through five finals campaigns and into the 2018 Grand Final. He won 116 of the 217 matches he coached, with a winning record of 54 per cent.

In all, Buckley played or coached in 477 matches for Collingwood.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Yet another person involved in football pushed out of the game by a degenerate society combined with story hunting media. Wtf is wrong with us as a community.

What does the media have to do with the price of eggs in this case??

Clearly isn't it just wins and losses?

Some say Buckley will go into the media after. Is that your point?

Yet another person involved in football pushed out of the game by a degenerate society combined with story hunting media. Wtf is wrong with us as a community.

'pushed out of the game?' $100 says he's on radio and TV next year.

zyzzbruh

Premiership Player
Mar 27, 2017
Mnt Olympus
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Manchester United
Why does something have to be wrong FFS? maybe he is just a sh*t coach ! huh?
What does the media have to do with the price of eggs in this case??

Clearly isn't it just wins and losses?

Some say Buckley will go into the media after. Is that your point?
He had a price on his head since the day he took over. This is pressure driven, not win loss. If you're going to choose to ignore that and be dopey then that's your problem. This year's win loss record is nothing but another BS excuse like there are excuses for every other issue in the game. He's copped it for years.

The problem is society, including 99% of this forum have this superiority complex where they need to disagree with absolutely everything in the world.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
1623197223017.png

Ross polishing his CV up as we speak

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 2, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Collingwood is an unstable nuclear reactor while they're having board issues.

Wise to call it a day now. He's done what he can with the club over 20 years as player and coach. The next few be will painful and he knows it.

Refresh for a couple of years, gig in the media, spend some time with his new squeeze, perhaps have a go at another club down the track

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Seeing how much Colllingwood has mismanaged their salary cap I think this really diminishes the effort in 2018. In hindsight it looks like Ed threw everything at getting his boy a premiership at the cost of long term planning.

they got themselves into trouble only in 2019/2020 when they signed up guys like Grundy on huge money.

Seeing how much Colllingwood has mismanaged their salary cap I think this really diminishes the effort in 2018. In hindsight it looks like Ed threw everything at getting his boy a premiership at the cost of long term planning.
Yes, but a lot of clubs do the same.
Tom Lynch to Richmond is heavily back-ended (by rumour) and Richmond do that deal again every day of the week.

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
He had a price on his head since the day he took over. This is pressure driven, not win loss. If you're going to choose to ignore that and be dopey then that's your problem. This year's win loss record is nothing but another BS excuse like there are excuses for every other issue in the game. He's copped it for years.

The problem is society, including 99% of this forum have this superiority complex where they need to disagree with absolutely everything in the world.

pressure from who?

Its not this year, its his whole tenure including a lack of premierships is it not? Crowd losing interest over defensive style to?

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Feel sorry for him, think he's been harshly treated since he made a grand final only back in 2018.

But on the other hand there is still a good number of years to rebuild Collingwood and whether he has the energy and a new voice is required to get them back up the top. Similar situation to Clarko at Hawthorn, I'd be happy for Buckley to come to Hawthorn as a senior assistant to Sam Mitchell if the cards fell that way.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Pretty smart move by Buckley I reckon. They’re embarking on a new era... he may or may not be the man for that, but with the mess above him at the club it’s hard to see him being given a clear run at it.

Came into the job in extremely difficult - and really, all-time stupid - circumstances (not thru his own fault), might as well go out easier.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back