News Buckley standing down; Robert Harvey interim coach for 2021

Shannon M

All Australian
Feb 1, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Took a very young team that just won a premiership in 2010 and lost a Grand Final in 2011 in one of the highest quality contests you'll ever see, and did nothing with them. Went backwards every year and then had a mini resurgence in 2018.

This was a young team he took over. They were primed to win several premierships.

I don't really understand the fuss about Bucks.

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
In the last 10 years 10 different teams have reached the final. In a competition with only 18 teams if you can’t get your team to the final and win it in 10 years you are not much chop
The same 10 teams/almost half the competition filling the 8 finals positions across 10 seasons goes to show it actually ain’t that easy to make finals. Only 4 different premiers in the last 8 years from 18 teams shows how much harder it is to win a flag. What the heck are you on about?

IKnowtheDog

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
I think it’s a bit of a false equivalency to say Collingwood would have won a flag after 2011 if Malthouse stayed. Considering two of the key components of the 2010 and 2011 season, Neeld & Watters left.

The handover although good in theory ended up been a dog’s breakfast.

Much like Bob Rose, for Buckley it wasn’t meant to be. Two minutes into the last quarter of 2018 it looked a possibility, then it was death by a thousand cuts.

This season has been a complete disaster and to leave now, the time is right

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Took a very young team that just won a premiership in 2010 and lost a Grand Final in 2011 in one of the highest quality contests you'll ever see, and did nothing with them. Went backwards every year and then had a mini resurgence in 2018.

This was a young team he took over. They were primed to win several premierships.

Sick of this BS narrative people try use to talk down his performance as a senior coach. We get it, he wasn’t a great coach, but he was still a good coach for doing what he did - 5 finals series from 9 seasons.

150D5616-EE5B-44D3-93BA-1C24FDA4A19D.jpeg

- Got Taylor Adams in for Shaw
- Cloke’s best years were under Buckley
- Goldsack, O’Brien, Toovey, Macaffer, Wellingham and Blair were never A graders
- Thomas and Reid were injury-prone for the rest of their careers
- Dawes and Brown never recaptured their best form at either Collingwood or other clubs
- Beams wanted to go to QLD

That leaves you with Sidebottom and Pendlebury. They almost nabbed Collingwood a flag in 2018.

I’m sick of that BS narrative that he had this dynasty infront of him that he didn’t capitalise on, because that is just crap.

Shannon M

All Australian
Feb 1, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think it’s a bit of a false equivalency to say Collingwood would have won a flag after 2011 if Malthouse stayed. Considering two of the key components of the 2010 and 2011 season, Neeld & Watters left.

Much like Bob Rose, for Buckley it wasn’t meant to be. Two minutes into the last quarter of 2018 it looked a possibility, then it was death by a thousand cuts.

Collingwood lost that 2018 GF after quarter time. West Coast dominated after that and if they didn't waste so many chances would have comfortably won despite giving up 5 goals in the first quarter.

This Footy Classified is more trainwreck tv than normal. McGuire pitching the job to Lyon was farcical.
Did I hear him say "I need Korda and Brown to sit down one last time"? You aren't running the joint, you don't get a say. The club will never move on so long as McGuire is in the media because he can't or won't let go.

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Did I hear him say "I need Korda and Brown to sit down one last time"? You aren't running the joint, you don't get a say. The club will never move on so long as McGuire is in the media because he can't or won't let go.

Except he probably is still running the joint. His great mate from Channel 9 will be President within a few months and Eddie will probably Putin his way back into the top job within a few years (unless of course he gets on the AFL Commission, which is alarmingly also very likely...).

hoianbulldog

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2006
Hoi An, Vietnam. I am off the grid.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This Footy Classified is more trainwreck tv than normal. McGuire pitching the job to Lyon was farcical.
On afl 360 he was asked about lyons as coach. He spent 2 minutes talking about the wonderful club HE had created for anyone coming in, then said today isnt about me.......it's about bucks.

Jul 9, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I played Ammos in the 80s
Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Honestly reckon his coaching has been underrated the last 4 years. Think our list hasn't actually been great for quite a lot of that time with glaring deficiencies. We played the 2018 grand final with a spine of:
Langdon
Goldsack
Grundy
Mihocek
Cox

No real key defenders playing with both Langdon and Goldsack being more 3rd tall types. Average key forwards and Grundy obviously very good. System that year allowed an undersized defence and an average forward line to succeed and be moments away from a flag. We were probably a better team in 2019 actually on the whole but bottled the prelim against GWS in the rain

jc37

All Australian
Jan 4, 2007
London
AFL Club
Collingwood
Bucks is a very good coach.

2012 he took on the bones of a list that had been successful and need to be regenerated.
I cant recall a year when he coached we were not smashed by injuries.
Whenever we got smashed it was rare it would happen the qtr after. So he always managed to tweak things around.
This year when he is back with the bones of a list we have not lost a game by more than 5 goals. We should be 5-7.
He has copped criticism but he has made us hard to play against even when we lack class on field.

I am gutted he is going. Great player, great coach and great person. He leaves big shoes to fill and I am not sure those pushing him out understand what they are pushing out. The grass isnt always greener on the other side.

Win or lose hope the players leave nothing on the ground against a very good Dees team.

Mar 5, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood

That team also had very little in terms of players in the primes of their careers. We had old blokes like Ball, Didak, Jolly, Lockyer etc all at the end of their careers.

queensberryrules

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Buckley has done the right thing. But what replacement coach will sign up whilst the board is unstable? The train needs a driver, and a track.

Dec 2, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney

The handover was s**t in theory and practically. It was clear Malthouse wanted to continue to be a head coach.

They had a team competing for premierships, but McGuire upset the apple cart by changing the brand of glue that kept it all together - for what reason? I'll never understand it. And I'll never understand Buckley agreeing to it. Collingwood was not the head coach job for him a that time.

One of the worst decisions Eddie made in his tenure as President. No s**t Malthouse was aggrieved having been there 10 seasons and then being told he'd be moved aside just as all his work was coming to fruition. They may have come away with another premiership, we'll never know. What we do know is Collingwood are still on 15 premierships, and arch rivals Richmond and possibly Melbourne in the next few years, are chasing closely behind.

Feb 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sick of this BS narrative people try use to talk down his performance as a senior coach. We get it, he wasn’t a great coach, but he was still a good coach for doing what he did - 5 finals series from 9 seasons.

View attachment 1151182
- Got Taylor Adams in for Shaw
- Cloke’s best years were under Buckley
- Goldsack, O’Brien, Toovey, Macaffer, Wellingham and Blair were never A graders
- Thomas and Reid were injury-prone for the rest of their careers
- Dawes and Brown never recaptured their best form at either Collingwood or other clubs
- Beams wanted to go to QLD

That leaves you with Sidebottom and Pendlebury. They almost nabbed Collingwood a flag in 2018.

I’m sick of that BS narrative that he had this dynasty infront of him that he didn’t capitalise on, because that is just crap.
Malthouse developed a strategy of system/plan of immense pressure on the ball carrier.
Geelong, a team of champions as well as a champion team had it all worked out the following season.
Pies 2010 premiership was more about strategy than personnel.
We had that many 'role players' it wasn't sustainable once every other team worked it out. Hell, even our captain of the time was nothing more than a role player. (Bless him ;) )

Tristan34

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Collingwood lost that 2018 GF after quarter time. West Coast dominated after that and if they didn't waste so many chances would have comfortably won despite giving up 5 goals in the first quarter.

I wouldn't say WCE dominated.. It took WCE until the last minute/s of the match to win.. They got lucky, but took their chances, which IMO is why they won...

Feb 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
The handover was sh*t in theory and practically. It was clear Malthouse wanted to continue to be a head coach.

They had a team competing for premierships, but McGuire upset the apple cart by changing the brand of glue that kept it all together - for what reason? I'll never understand it. And I'll never understand Buckley agreeing to it. Collingwood was not the head coach job for him a that time.

One of the worst decisions Eddie made in his tenure as President. No sh*t Malthouse was aggrieved having been there 10 seasons and then being told he'd be moved aside just as all his work was coming to fruition. They may have come away with another premiership, we'll never know. What we do know is Collingwood are still on 15 premierships, and arch rivals Richmond and possibly Melbourne in the next few years, are chasing closely behind.
Nah.
Geelong and every other team worked out the game plan and our was team half filled with plodders.
But for an unlucky bounce of a ball, Ross Lyon would be a premiership coach and Malthouse legacy would be the same as Buckley's.
2018...Let's say pies kicked the ball that bit closer to the boundary and we got a throw in instead of a repeat fwd entry to WCE.

Sliding door moments, with huge legacy repercussions. And all out of immediate control of the coach.

Back