News Buckley standing down; Robert Harvey interim coach for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Malthouse developed a strategy of system/plan of immense pressure on the ball carrier.
Geelong, a team of champions as well as a champion team had it all worked out the following season.
Pies 2010 premiership was more about strategy than personnel.
We had that many 'role players' it wasn't sustainable once every other team worked it out. Hell, even our captain of the time was nothing more than a role player. (Bless him ;) )

This is pretty accurate, but I'd replace Geelong working it out with Hawthorn/Sydney. Hawks were probably the better side for 3 quarters in the 2011 prelim and their kicking based gameplan gave us real trouble (as evidenced in the floggings they gave us the following seasons). Sydney also worked out how to combat that forward press with their 'slingshot' style. The forward press tactic had been around since 2009 with St. Kilda, so by 2012, pretty much all teams were doing the same thing. That's what set Hawthorn/Sydney apart because they were doing other things tactically (in addition to forward pressure).

Buckley made a telling comment in the press conference about how Geelong smashed them in the final last year and then added 3 best 22 in Smith Higgins Cameron, while Collingwood lost 3 best 22 - he really was always on a hiding to nothing this year.

A kick away from a flag and then a kick away from another GF where they would have gone it at about, I don't know, a 40% chance to win against Richmond? It really is a game of inches sometimes.

Buckley made a telling comment in the press conference about how Geelong smashed them in the final last year and then added 3 best 22 in Smith Higgins Cameron, while Collingwood lost 3 best 22 - he really was always on a hiding to nothing this year.

A kick away from a flag and then a kick away from another GF where they would have gone it at about, I don't know, a 40% chance to win against Richmond? It really is a game of inches sometimes.

Was just watching a Footy Classified clip and I have a question. Eddie keeps repeating that all these other clubs are in trouble with the salary cap, he said 12 or 14 I think last night. I have not heard anything about this from anyone but Eddie - is it a lie?

Was just watching a Footy Classified clip and I have a question. Eddie keeps repeating that all these other clubs are in trouble with the salary cap, he said 12 or 14 I think last night. I have not heard anything about this from anyone but Eddie - is it a lie?

I don't know, but it's a classic deflection tactic that Eddie has used before - 'if you think we're bad, you should see X'. Did the same thing with the Do Better report.

I was reminded by an Age article that Bucks was the 13th candidate for the Richmond head coaching role in 2009 but refused the interview at the midnight hour!

What a sliding doors moment for both Rich/Coll as to their relative fortunes for the next decade!

Eddie is just trying to make himself feel better. Doubt any team will have a fire sale like the pies did in 2020.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sick of this BS narrative people try use to talk down his performance as a senior coach. We get it, he wasn’t a great coach, but he was still a good coach for doing what he did - 5 finals series from 9 seasons.

View attachment 1151182
- Got Taylor Adams in for Shaw
- Cloke’s best years were under Buckley
- Goldsack, O’Brien, Toovey, Macaffer, Wellingham and Blair were never A graders
- Thomas and Reid were injury-prone for the rest of their careers
- Dawes and Brown never recaptured their best form at either Collingwood or other clubs
- Beams wanted to go to QLD

That leaves you with Sidebottom and Pendlebury. They almost nabbed Collingwood a flag in 2018.

I’m sick of that BS narrative that he had this dynasty infront of him that he didn’t capitalise on, because that is just crap.
I like Buckley, but you can't ignore his trend line. Everyone would be a lot happier with the Buckley years if they were in reverse order:
  • Starts with a bottom-4 team.

• 2nd year: Jumps into 8th and wins a final.

• 3rd year: Makes top 4.

• 4th year: Grand Final, almost wins the flag.

• 5th year: Falls back to 12th.

• 6th-8th years: Slow but steady win/loss improvement.

• 9th year: Back into the finals, finishing 6th.

• 10th year: Back into the Top 4.
Next of course the Pies go 20-2 at 170%, becoming one of the greatest teams not to win the flag, and the year after that, they take the premiership.

Yeah, I guess have to wait until the end of the year but I would have thought if 12-14 other clubs were stuffed we would have heard about it by now.
It would be very difficult to have 12-14 clubs stuffed.

That leaves only 4-6 clubs not stuffed.

Either those 4-6 clubs are not only not stuffed but have enough space to buy all the players from the 12-14 clubs AND the players want to go to them (very unlikely) or the players will just have to accept market value (less) and therefore the clubs are not stuffed.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Watched 360 last night. He said he had the inside word then quickly corrected himself that he just worked it out. It smelt of a deflection of his presidency or he truly got some inside info.

Oh, without question. For a couple years there, they were unbeatable. They had a stretch from mid 2009 season to the end of the 2011 season where they went 55-11-2.

Geelong from 2007-2009 for comparison were 65-10.

Add 11-2 to start 2012 under Buckley and it's 66-13-2. Tremendous team Malthouse was able to put together. Should've won more than 1 premiership.

They were pretty young too, weren't they? I guess you're right about the deconstruction post-Malthouse. Definitely disappointing looking back.

They were absolutely ripping teams apart in that 2010-11 period, were looking like the next dynasty. Malthouse had every right to feel shafted.

It would be very difficult to have 12-14 clubs stuffed.

That leaves only 4-6 clubs not stuffed.

Either those 4-6 clubs are not only not stuffed but have enough space to buy all the players from the 12-14 clubs AND the players want to go to them (very unlikely) or the players will just have to accept market value (less) and therefore the clubs are not stuffed.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah, so I suspect that Eddie is flat out lying about this.

I could be wrong but I thought I remembered people ages ago saying that Robert Harvey was not exactly the brightest bulb in the world. If true it is odd that he was an assistant coach, and now an interim coach at Collingwood.

I could be wrong but I thought I remembered people ages ago saying that Robert Harvey was not exactly the brightest bulb in the world. If true it is odd that he was an assistant coach, and now an interim coach at Collingwood.

A group of my friends went to school with Ryan O'Keefe and he is a coach with the Crows no? Or was. Their comment was "lucky he was good at football".

A group of my friends went to school with Ryan O'Keefe and he is a coach with the Crows no? Or was. Their comment was "lucky he was good at football".

You have to wonder how some of them become assistant coaches.

It is something the AFL need to move away from more as a great player does not make a great coach. Soccer is better at this as some of the best coaches were pretty crappy players. A person can have a great tactical mind for AFL but be a crappy player, but their tactical mind would be perfect for coaching.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back