Coach Buckley steps down

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course he’ll always be a legend of the club. I can’t help but think we hug our players to death. Tony Shaw was offered an assistants role under Parkin before he accepted the Pies job. Bucks was offered the Nth job - but he too accepted the Pies job. I would have hated to see either Collingwood champions at another club. But deep down, could that have made them better coaches when they inevitably would have come back to coach the Pies. We love our players to death, but we need them to leave the nest and return better prepared. I know Nathan’s next coaching job will be better than what he had with us. You can’t buy 10 years of experience. Maybe he’ll return again.

Easy with hindsight to decide to cut and up and coming player who at that stage hadn’t done an ACL...just to prolong a player who couldn’t decide if he even wanted to play....by one year
Sometimes you need a bit of foresight

Maybe Leon could have said I will take the offer, understand its for less but I did change my mind. So we keep Toovs and Leon and Caff goes. Players makes salary sacrifices to keep teams together. Leon contributed to the issue by changing his mind late, perhaps he could have made himself part of the solution.

He probably thought if he didnt take the offer the Eagles or Freo may have ponied up, maybe a miscalculation on his behalf.

Not sure why you dont see him as being a contributor to a difficult circumstance. He wasnt seen as such a great asset as no other club pitched for him. I loved Leon and would have loved him to stay but he was partly the architect of his own demise.
That would have been nice in a ideal world but we don’t live in that. Our list management team needs to make decisions in the real world and they made the wrong imo. That’s not on Davis.

Sometimes you need a bit of foresight

That also applies to Leon. He retired... then after the lists were all but finalised he decided to change his mind. He wasn’t prepared to play for close to base wages despite being highly paid for ten+ years.....and the club wasn’t prepared to go back on verbal commitments to some younger premiership players to fit in a player whose commitment to the game, Collingwood, Victoria and probably Buckley was in doubt.

The situation was all of Leon’s doing. He was fully expecting to be picked up by one of the WA teams but both had no interest ... so he tried too late to come crawling back

Last edited:
Of course he’ll always be a legend of the club. I can’t help but think we hug our players to death. Tony Shaw was offered an assistants role under Parkin before he accepted the Pies job. Bucks was offered the Nth job - but he too accepted the Pies job. I would have hated to see either Collingwood champions at another club. But deep down, could that have made them better coaches when they inevitably would have come back to coach the Pies. We love our players to death, but we need them to leave the nest and return better prepared. I know Nathan’s next coaching job will be better than what he had with us. You can’t buy 10 years of experience. Maybe he’ll return again.

Nathan knocked back the North job because he didn’t want to take on a senior role without an apprenticeship.... which he got at Collingwood

There are many players, coaches, leaders who preach the doctrine that the team, club, organization is bigger than the individual.
Far fewer actually live that mantra.
Despite what you may ever have thought of his capabilities as a player or coach, Bucks has been an incredible ambassador and role model.
The ultimate competitor who has left it all in the table in the pursuit of success, but still found humility in defeat.
A Collingwood without him will be empty and strange, even if it was the right time for change.
Thanks for the many great memories to a true champion of the game.

That also applies to Leon. He retired... then after the lists were all but finalised he decided to change his mind. He wasn’t prepared to play for close to base wages despite being highly paid for ten+ years.....and the club wasn’t prepared to go back on verbal commitments to some younger premiership players to fit in a player whose commitment to the game, Collingwood, Victoria and probably Buckley was in doubt.

The situation was all of Leon’s doing. He was fully expecting to be picked up by one of the WA teams but both had no interest ... so he tried too late to come crawling back
The club has to deal with the hand it’s dealt, we can’t absolve the club just because not everything is ideal for them. Blaming Leon is a cop out.

23 isn’t a kid. If they’re all kids to you then why bring it up in the first place seems kind of moot. List management is our list managements team responsibility, not Davis’.

Relative to Leon who was 30, Caff at 23 with 30 senior games to his name was definitely a kid.

I didn't say list management wasn't the responsibility of the list management team, that's you saying that, I said it was on Leon that he changed his mind too late.

Hawthorn won a few flags after Matthews retired as a player- they sacked/ farewelled past players (3) who didn't succeed at coaching.

The club has to deal with the hand it’s dealt, we can’t absolve the club just because not everything is ideal for them. Blaming Leon is a cop out.
From what I have been reading, I don't think the blame is solely on Leon. I think that his indecision contributed and he did have options if he really wanted to play albeit at a reduced salary say on a one year contract and then renegotiate. It isn't as if other clubs were chasing him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn won a few flags after Matthews retired as a player- they sacked/ farewelled past players (3) who didn't succeed at coaching.

Allan Joyce coached Hawthorn for four seasons. He won two flags. Made finals as well in the other two losing by 13 and 15 points respectively. Then got sacked....

Allan Joyce coached Hawthorn for four seasons. He won two flags. Made finals as well in the other two losing by 13 and 15 points respectively. Then got sacked....

What's he up to these days? Asking for a friend.

From what I have been reading, I don't think the blame is solely on Leon. I think that his indecision contributed and he did have options if he really wanted to play albeit at a reduced salary say on a one year contract and then renegotiate. It isn't as if other clubs were chasing him.
Wasn't there a rumour at the time that Leon would have stayed if Malthouse was coach but Davis did not want to play under Buckley?

Wasn't there a rumour at the time that Leon would have stayed if Malthouse was coach but Davis did not want to play under Buckley?

IIRC he wanted 300, we offered 150 then he said he was leaving....

Don't forget GC and GWS were coming into the comp and all our players were getting big offers.... Even Toovey at one point :think:

That was the rumour. Who knows if there was any truth in it.

IIRC he wanted 300, we offered 150 then he said he was leaving....

Don't forget GC and GWS were coming into the comp and all our players were getting big offers.... Even Toovey at one point :think:

I think it was that all we had left after we signed Caff was enough for base salary which may have been $150k. Wasn't enough to entice him to re-sign.

So? That just makes the issue the tenure of a couple on the panel in the eyes of some, despite people having no idea what they offer, not that their hasn't been fresh faces and ideas introduced.
Yeah I'm not denying that, but from my understanding we have 3 senior assistants - 2 of those have been Harvey & Sanderson for >5 years.

1623418693957.png
So here is what Harvey and Sanderson have brought.

1623418800748.png

Now anyone would say our defence is pretty sound, forward of that................... :shrug:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back