Coach Buckley to end AFL journey empty handed

Remove this Banner Ad

Have a strong feeling Buckley will leave footy destined not to win a flag as a player or coach in the AFL.
Don’t dislike the guy and would be happy for him to miss out being a port man.
Thoughts?

Thanks for confirming Ports SANFL history doesn't mean anything

images

What a load of horseshit. He was a miracle kick away from being a premiership coach

Good coaches on GF day don’t need miracles.

They need players to do their jobs.

I think Bucks has no new ideas.

Quite frankly, I think Bucks has been riding the coattails of semi decent lists for years.

They basically coach themselves on the field. Buckley doesn’t add much to those better Pie sides who make it to PF and GFs.

He’s Eddies love child and has had an armchair ride in the job for years.

Turfing MM out to replace him with Bucks has not worked out all these years later.

But year after year Nathan continues to be the coach of the Pies and continues to get unsatisfactory results.

May it continue on for many more years to come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I tend to agree, even when we’re playing well under him there are clear deficiencies in our side that hold us back that have been there throughout his whole tenure.

Our backline can intercept to their hearts content but suck at rebounding it back. We’re totally reliant on our midfield to dominate games otherwise the team falls apart. Our backline will intercept but then just pump it back to the opposition rinse and repeat until we finally leak. Everyone praise our defence for standing up under immense pressure but the reality is that pressure is self inflicted because they can’t get it out.

Our forward line has looked crap every year under Buckley except 2018 and even then it was held back by a clear gun kpf. Its been shown time and time again that Cox and Mihocek won’t be enough yet Buckley still persists. Did the same in his first year with Dawes as a second ruck despite that clearly not working.

And don’t get me started on Mayne’s wing role.

He’s been coaching for 8 years now and the only thing that’s really changed is he’s stopped playing absolute spuds like Josh Smith and Jack Frost and the midfield has improved. Other than that his coaching is the same he’s just not getting exposed by certain players letting down the chain and the midfield is good enough to paper over them stacks of our other weaknesses.

Last edited:
Agree. He is a too risk averse coach.

Collingwood could of won the game last night had he switched Darcy Moore forward.
I reckon we could have won allot of games if Darcy Moore played up forward.

s**t Thread.
The Pies players kicking 1.5 in the final quarter is why they lost, nothing to do with Bucks coaching.

Here is another school of thought, the Pies list is actually not all that flash outside their obvious couple of A Grade champs like Pendles, and he has arguably overachieved with them in the past couple of years ago

Their forward and backline, bar Darcy Moore are hardly worth writing home about, esp now since sadly Jeremy Howe has gone for rest of the season.

Didn't like Buckley as a player, but I have no doubt he is one helluva coach.

Good coaches on GF day don’t need miracles.

They need players to do their jobs.
Isn’t that the case with all teams!?
The Hawks three peat teams had on-field coaches like Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Burgoyne just do their job

Cats the same
I think Bucks has no new ideas.

Quite frankly, I think Bucks has been riding the coattails of semi decent lists for years.
Don’t necessarily disagree with the no new ideas piece. His idea is to have a glut of mid sized forwards who can rotate through the middle and one big bloke to kick it to, and then it is about swarming and pressing harder.

The list was only considered decent in 2019, and the problem for Bucks is that it is full of injury prone players.

They basically coach themselves on the field. Buckley doesn’t add much to those better Pie sides who make it to PF and GFs.
Good sides coach themselves, that is what makes them good sides.

Turfing MM out to replace him with Bucks has not worked out all these years later.
Why people bring up something that happened a decade ago is beyond me?

Turfing MM had an impact on 11-12-13, keep him and we MAY have pinched another flag.

MM fostered a toxic club culture, racism, partying as long as you won he turned a blind eye. Same as what happened at WC.

Pies are going along fine atm.
But year after year Nathan continues to be the coach of the Pies and continues to get unsatisfactory results.

May it continue on for many more years to come.
Yeah, it sucks losing GFs and PFs by a kick...but would rather be winning finals and playing late September than be like Essendon who haven’t won a final since 2004!

Long may the Pies be playing off in PFs/GFs whilst Essendon sit in mid table mediocrity.

Anyone who says 'he can't coach' are delusional. How the hell would you know? Do you have any idea about the inner workings of the Collingwood Football Club. We only see how the players translate a gameplan into action and draw conclusions on the basis of that. Collingwood are a very good side and are well and truly in the mix to win a flag in the next couple of years. This is not to guarantee they will, but I think it's a bit ridiculous to attribute this to supposedly poor coaching.

When are we going to meaningfully acknowledge that the senior coach no longer holds the mantle of sole responsibility at a football club? From assistant coaches, list managers and on field leaders, the senior coach is one cog in a much more nuanced system. Certainly their views hold considerable weight but I'd daresay times have changed where their power is absolute.

People who attribute a side's performance to a coach are dumb football fans.

I feel like his current method with Collingwood is just a bit too negative. It's not a huge flaw - obviously they are a very good team - but if the team released a little bit and was able to have a bit more flair going forward I think they could be better. Play more like late 2018. When they have the momentum they don't seem to use it to their full advantage, and sometimes choke the game up before they have a good enough lead, so the good teams still have a chance against them. Compared to THAT night when they punished us for every mistake and put us in a position where we needed to play perfectly to win, which wasn't happening.
And given their strengths and weaknesses on their list - very good rebounding defenders, very good midfield, but obviously a weakness with key forwards - you want to get it in quickly. Don't let the defence get set up - then Mason Cox gets a decent run and jump where he isn't going to get beaten often (I know it too well). Or you can get De Goey or Stephenson isolated deep which is also super dangerous.

It's obvious he can coach. s**t coaches don't take you from 13th to a GF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back