Remove this Banner Ad

Catsnlakers

Even Hank Moody is in awe of Geelong!
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
L.A Angels, Anaheim Ducks & M.Stars
It was a young premiership side that then went bananas in 2011 until the destabilization by McG/Bucks in the last couple of months of the season wrecked things.
I think this is a narrative that comes up often that actually isn’t true, fact is they only lost to my club that entire year & in Round 8 we had already shown our footy to match up well against the Pies that season.....This is well before the issues apparently started to manifest greatly, they had a great year in 2011 but had met their match in my team....Geelong had a very similar scenario in 1992, great season, minor premier who were a scoring machine but the Eagles unfortunately had our measure....

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
I think this is a narrative that comes up often that actually isn’t true, fact is they only lost to my club that entire year & in Round 8 we had already shown our footy to match up well against the Pies that season.....This is well before the issues apparently started to manifest greatly, they had a great year in 2011 but had met their match in my team....Geelong had a very similar scenario in 1992, great season, minor premier who were a scoring machine but the Eagles unfortunately had our measure....
That Round 8 game was close right? Pies fans said an umpiring decision was the reason they lost, otherwise they were belting other teams, massive %, all until the last 6 rounds or so. An average win against then-easybeats Brisbane, then your final round annihilation of that Pies team was (until last weekend!) the most inexplicable performance I have ever seen.

Something happened to change their incredible trajectory.

Malthouse later spoke openly about a player revolt by those who wanted him to stay. Players like Daisy T. clearly wanted to play under Mick and followed him to Carlton.

You may be right, but a great young flag side started going south just at the time McG./Bucks started agitating.

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Still managed to be 2nd in the league in disposals per game and contested possessions per game this year.

Similar to Chris Judd, because Treloar has or had great pace, and is a very "direct" player, people mistakenly think that he is or is meant to be an outside player. He's not. He's a quality inside ball winner whose vision and decision-making with the handball in traffic is his main and best weapon. Yes, his kicking is iffy, but he's one of the best in the league at creating by hand from stoppages and contested situations.

kicking is iffy?

all the inside/outside hardball/ loose ball gets/receives mean absolute rubbish if you’re not delivering the god damn ball by foot directly to your target up the field ..especially into the F50

Just ask Dylan Shiel how frustrating it is to be a complete butcher of the ball while simultaneously looking like a superstar with your easy handball receiver stats.

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
I seem to remember the Collingwood 2010 premiership side being one of the youngest ever teams!

How can you go from the youngest to a complete clean out a fews years later?

I wonder if getting rid of Mick Malthouse was due to tall poppy, or do we as Aussies not value experienced coaches.

It seems as soon as you turn 60 you're no good anymore.

Which brings to mind your greatest shortcoming for many years.

One Edward McGuire and his dictatorship of the Collingwood Football Club.

He’s the black and white Trump you don’t need around anymore.

Catsnlakers

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
That Round 8 game was close right? Pies fans said an umpiring decision was the reason they lost.
The final margin was close yes ( 3 points ) & there was a decision that could of gone the Pies way in an advantage goal with a few minutes remaining.....But it was 8.17 to 9.8, & in reality we actually dominated most of that match, & the signs were obvious that we had constructed a new game plan that suited that Pies team much better than the one they had finally cracked in the 2010 PF.....You’re fully entitled to your view, but I personally feel that distraction narrative is far less relevant for 2011 than it’s given credit for....The funny thing is that there is a contingent of my own supporters who feel the Bomber & Ablett scenario of 2010 cost us that years flag, when to me it was clear that the Pies had finally nutted our game plan & were simply to good for us that year, nothing to do with the so called ‘distraction’ of the Bomber & Ablett situation.

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
The final margin was close yes ( 3 points ) & there was a decision that could of gone the Pies way in an advantage goal with a few minutes remaining.....But it was 8.17 to 9.8, & in reality we actually dominated most of that match, & the signs were obvious that we had constructed a new game plan that suited that Pies team much better than the one they had finally cracked in the 2010 PF.....You’re fully entitled to your view, but I personally feel that distraction narrative is far less relevant for 2011 than it’s given credit for....The funny thing is that there is a contingent of my own supporters who feel the Bomber & Ablett scenario of 2010 cost us that years flag, when to me it was clear that the Pies had finally nutted our game plan & were simply to good for us that year, nothing to do with the so called ‘distraction’ of the Bomber & Ablett situation.

yeah nah...Bomber is one my childhood heroes but he did the wrong thing that year the way he mumbled negatively to the media about Gaz Jnr.

It really didn’t help team cohesion

Catsnlakers

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
yeah nah...Bomber is one my childhood heroes but he did the wrong thing that year the way he mumbled negatively to the media about Gaz Jnr.

It really didn’t help team cohesion
Fair enough. You’re entitled to your view mate...I think that year the Pies had finally got their system right, especially again us, & the result in the PF demonstrated that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ricmel

Premium Platinum
Jul 13, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Nothing to dispute or argue with what you’ve said.

In saying that, how many people had Port finishing top spot this year? Footy is a funny game at times.

For sure and at their best Pies can beat anyone so there is a nucleus there that could be topped up quickly. But right as things stand today, I don't think the list has a flag in them next 2 years at least. Gotta get get a KPF. Jeremy Cameron comes into that team and that might make all the difference. Don't need anything in defence., ruck is good, small forwards are good. Another classy mid and Cameron might turn it around.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
kicking is iffy?

all the inside/outside hardball/ loose ball gets/receives mean absolute rubbish if you’re not delivering the god damn ball by foot directly to your target up the field ..especially into the F50

Just ask Dylan Shiel how frustrating it is to be a complete butcher of the ball while simultaneously looking like a superstar with your easy handball receiver stats.

Sheil is another one like Treloar whose role or supposed role is often mistaken, because he has/had breakaway pace and "looks pretty".

Both Treloar and Shiel are inside mids and contested ball winners. Neither of them are or are meant to be outside receivers. By the nature of their role in today's footy, they're going to be kicking under pressure and probably not having as great outcomes as actual "easy handball receiver" types.

RichLeMonde

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2019
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Celtics
Sheil is another one like Treloar whose role or supposed role is often mistaken, because he has/had breakaway pace and "looks pretty".

Both Treloar and Shiel are inside mids and contested ball winners. Neither of them are or are meant to be outside receivers. By the nature of their role in today's footy, they're going to be kicking under pressure and probably not having as great outcomes as actual "easy handball receiver" types.
Same true of Danger and his kicking

Frank Grimes

Premiership Player
May 8, 2007
between two bowling alley
AFL Club
Richmond
I don't agree. You had the best performed team over two seasons and pushed ahead with a transition that may well have cost you the 2011 flag and hasn't delivered any such success since. I said at the time it could prove costly and it certainly has.

I advocated for Bucks to stay in charge a few years ago and be given the opportunity to see his rebuild through, but he's been at the helm nearly a decade now and it's been more fruitless than his predecessor, whom so many were keen to show the door after the same time period. Surely if Bucks doesn't do something significant next season, he doesn't get his contract renewed.
Unless if Buckley is Mark Neeld bad next season he will get a contract extension. There is no way Buckley will get the sack while Eddie is in charge.

Just go back to see how Buckley got the coaching gig in the first place. It was due to the succession plan. The question has to be 'why Buckley to be the successor rather someone else?'. I doubt he would have been chosen if he didn't play for Collingwood and good mates with Ed.

Brickwall

Senior List
Sep 24, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Karma after back flipping on us at the last minute to play for the pies . Citing premierships lol
no need for that rubbish 20 years ago mate --- such a great player not to win a flag , and you have the biggest spuds in the AFL like pyke (nm,bris ), Hasen(wce), broad(rich) and s**t load others that have won one or two flags , sometimes destiny plays funny games

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
For sure and at their best Pies can beat anyone so there is a nucleus there that could be topped up quickly. But right as things stand today, I don't think the list has a flag in them next 2 years at least. Gotta get get a KPF. Jeremy Cameron comes into that team and that might make all the difference. Don't need anything in defence., ruck is good, small forwards are good. Another classy mid and Cameron might turn it around.
Getting a Jeremy Cameron (if he nominated Collingwood) is based on Collingwood freeing up space via JDG or Treloar. I’d rather keep JDG of those two.
Treloar leaving would be a massive blow for ol' Figgy.

Pendles will be 33, Greenwood 32 and Sidey 30 at the start of next season. Suddenly their much vaunted midfield is looking a little thin.
I’m hoping their logic is they keep JDG, get Treloar to GCS (get pick 5 in return) and replace Treloar in the midfield with JDG. This then frees up the cap space for Jeremy Cameron (if he chose Collingwood) to then take DeGoey’s spot in Collingwood’s forward line.

Regarding the midfield age/depth - We’ll still have Taylor Adams (27) leading the midfield, alongside De Goey (24), Sier (22) and Maynard (24) with Pendles, Sidebottom and Elliott providing the experienced depth. Not a bad midfield there with Grundy (26).

Brickwall

Senior List
Sep 24, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Buckley also went to collingwood to play with a famous club , why would you want to play for north melb or bris FFS
plus collingwood want a premiership team at the time , so get your facts right

Getting a Jeremy Cameron (if he nominated Collingwood) is based on Collingwood freeing up space via JDG or Treloar. I’d rather keep JDG of those two.

I’m hoping their logic is they keep JDG, get Treloar to GCS (get pick 5 in return) and replace Treloar in the midfield with JDG. This then frees up the cap space for Jeremy Cameron (if he chose Collingwood) to then take DeGoey’s spot in Collingwood’s forward line.

Regarding the midfield age/depth - We’ll still have Taylor Adams (27) leading the midfield, alongside De Goey (24), Sier (22) and Maynard (24) with Pendles, Sidebottom and Elliott providing the experienced depth. Not a bad midfield there with Grundy (26).
I suppose that relies on DeGoeys willingness to get fit enough to play full time mid. Is he up to it? Treloar is a hard act to follow in this regard.

Maynard's a great player but doesnt strike me as a mid.

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
I suppose that relies on DeGoeys willingness to get fit enough to play full time mid. Is he up to it? Treloar is a hard act to follow in this regard.

Maynard's a great player but doesnt strike me as a mid.
That’s the big question. In Jordy’s defence, he has rarely had a pre-season due to injuries, so I don’t think it’s his commitment to training that is the issue. It’s getting the uninterrupted body of work in during preseason.

What makes you say that about Maynard?

What makes you say that about Maynard?
Reminds me of our Vlaustin. For years supporters suggested we should try him in the midfield, when we did it was pretty much a flop. But as an intercept half back he is fantastic.

It's robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
I think he's doing a pretty good job considering they are without any superstars (bar Grundy who looks injured), especially forward of centre where premierships are won and he was half a kick off doing that.
I think the kicker for mine is how many players seem on be on the cusp of superstardom but none of them break through.

Treloar, Moore, De Goey, Stephenson, Sidebottom, even the likes of Hoskin-Elliott and Jamie Elliott - all have talent but none really elevated like Collingwood needed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back