Coach Buckley to end AFL journey empty handed

Remove this Banner Ad

Sheil is another one like Treloar whose role or supposed role is often mistaken, because he has/had breakaway pace and "looks pretty".

Both Treloar and Shiel are inside mids and contested ball winners. Neither of them are or are meant to be outside receivers. By the nature of their role in today's footy, they're going to be kicking under pressure and probably not having as great outcomes as actual "easy handball receiver" types.

You’re letting both of them off very lightly.

I feel like his current method with Collingwood is just a bit too negative. It's not a huge flaw - obviously they are a very good team - but if the team released a little bit and was able to have a bit more flair going forward I think they could be better. Play more like late 2018. When they have the momentum they don't seem to use it to their full advantage, and sometimes choke the game up before they have a good enough lead, so the good teams still have a chance against them. Compared to THAT night when they punished us for every mistake and put us in a position where we needed to play perfectly to win, which wasn't happening.
And given their strengths and weaknesses on their list - very good rebounding defenders, very good midfield, but obviously a weakness with key forwards - you want to get it in quickly. Don't let the defence get set up - then Mason Cox gets a decent run and jump where he isn't going to get beaten often (I know it too well). Or you can get De Goey or Stephenson isolated deep which is also super dangerous.

It's obvious he can coach. sh*t coaches don't take you from 13th to a GF.
Old post, but just a really good point that needs repeating. I remember Luke Hodge once saying what made Hawthorn’s side so good during their time in the sun was their ability to read a momentum shift and react accordingly, like choke teams out when the opposition had momentum going their way, and then pull the trigger once the game’s momentum swung back their way. Benefit of so many on-field leaders, probably.

Reminds me of our Vlaustin. For years supporters suggested we should try him in the midfield, when we did it was pretty much a flop. But as an intercept half back he is fantastic.

It's robbing Peter to pay Paul.
Vlaustin has more of a KP ‘feel’ compared to Maynard.

Maynard is viewed as a soon to be midfielder due to build and bullish attack on the ball and man around the contest, has a real good, booming kick and reasonable tank.

Wouldn’t be surprised if he is getting midfield minutes as soon as next year regardless of what transpired during trade week.

Re your comment of robbing Peter to pay Paul, it’s the contrary, we’ve got Quaynor, Noble and Crisp who will amply cover him at HB. Nathan Murphy is the other one coming through the backline who is capable of replacing him. Huge raps on him also.

Good coaches on GF day don’t need miracles.

They need players to do their jobs.

I think Bucks has no new ideas.

Quite frankly, I think Bucks has been riding the coattails of semi decent lists for years.

They basically coach themselves on the field. Buckley doesn’t add much to those better Pie sides who make it to PF and GFs.

He’s Eddies love child and has had an armchair ride in the job for years.

Turfing MM out to replace him with Bucks has not worked out all these years later.

But year after year Nathan continues to be the coach of the Pies and continues to get unsatisfactory results.

May it continue on for many more years to come.
You forgot to mention the other job at Collingwood which is a job on how it’s club survives.
That job is putting Eddie electric blanket on 3 at night.
That’s why his coach .

You forgot to mention the other job at Collingwood which is a job on how it’s club survives.
That job is putting Eddie electric blanket on 3 at night.
That’s why his coach .

plus tucks him in and reads humpty dumpty and other favourite fairytales of Ed’s

Have a strong feeling Buckley will leave footy destined not to win a flag as a player or coach in the AFL.
Don’t dislike the guy and would be happy for him to miss out being a port man.
Thoughts?
The only thing that would be funnier than Buckley missing out on a premiership after 30 years at Collingwood, would be coming back to Port and winning it the first year back.

no need for that rubbish 20 years ago mate --- such a great player not to win a flag , and you have the biggest spuds in the AFL like pyke (nm,bris ), Hasen(wce), broad(rich) and sh*t load others that have won one or two flags , sometimes destiny plays funny games
That’s true, Shane Clayton was hopeless. Pike was very handy though and in the right places at the right time

I think Collingwood are a decent chance to win flag over the next few years so I wouldn't rule it out now. If they don't I will be interested to see how Collingwood and Buckley eventually part ways and to see if he Coaches somewhere else

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Collingwood are a decent chance to win flag over the next few years so I wouldn't rule it out now. If they don't I will be interested to see how Collingwood and Buckley eventually part ways and to see if he Coaches somewhere else
This is a very valid point, last thing the club would want is anything like the KB & Richmond scenario where it took 20+ years to properly reconcile.

This is a very valid point, last thing the club would want is anything like the KB & Richmond scenario where it took 20+ years to properly reconcile.
I don’t see Bucks being the type of person who would become spiteful. I’m sure he’s fully aware of the fact he has had 10 years as senior coach, and it is a ruthless game. It’s more so the club having the balls to make the tough call when the time comes.

Winning a Grand Final is the cherry on top be it as a coach or player I feel (and no matter what a lot of things that are out of your control have to go your way to make that happen).

If Buckley never coached again I consider him an absolute winner as a sportsperson with his games played and 10 years coaching a destination club.

Not sure on his kids names of Ayce and Jett though.

Will be special comments guy on Stan sports on Friday nights-Eddie will get him the job as won’t be welcomed back at Chanel 7 .
Won’t coach again when gets the arse from the pies.

Have a strong feeling Buckley will leave footy destined not to win a flag as a player or coach in the AFL.
Don’t dislike the guy and would be happy for him to miss out being a port man.
Thoughts?
So will you.

Why I everyone overlooking the fact he was senior assistant when Collingwood won in 2010? It's not like he just turned up a couple of days a week in that role. He would have worked blood hard and was a key part of the coaching panel. Would be invited to the reunions etc.

Why I everyone overlooking the fact he was senior assistant when Collingwood won in 2010? It's not like he just turned up a couple of days a week in that role. He would have worked blood hard and was a key part of the coaching panel. Would be invited to the reunions etc.
Sorry for my ignorance, but are assistant coaches of premiership teams invited to reunions?

Would love to be a fly in the wall if both Malthouse and Buckley attend that reunion.

Bomber Thompson was senior assistant to Denis Pagan for North's 1999 flag.

Does the footy world really go oh well Bomber's coaching success really started with his 1999 flag at North?

No they don't, for good reason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back