Coach Buckley to end AFL journey empty handed

Frank Grimes

Premiership Player
May 8, 2007
between two bowling alley
AFL Club
Richmond
Bomber Thompson was senior assistant to Denis Pagan for North's 1999 flag.

Does the footy world really go oh well Bomber's coaching success really started with his 1999 flag at North?

No they don't, for good reason.
It is true that premierships are not recognised for assistant coaches.

I would have said that Hardwick has 5 premierships to his name (2 as a player and 3 as senior coach) and not really counted the one where he was the assistant coach for the Hawthorn 2008 premiership.

Even Wikipedia lists the premierships as a player and senior coach as achievements. Doesn't seem highlight being an assistant for the 2008 premiership as one.

north_lad

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Buckley also went to collingwood to play with a famous club , why would you want to play for north melb or bris FFS
plus collingwood want a premiership team at the time , so get your facts right

Well. He'd have won three flags at Brisbane or two at North. So that's why... Maybe?

Masotiger

All Australian
Feb 12, 2020
Pod Mosto Drvo
AFL Club
Richmond
Buckley also went to collingwood to play with a famous club , why would you want to play for north melb or bris FFS
plus collingwood want a premiership team at the time , so get your facts right
The lure of playing for a famous and big club is massive. Buckley should be admired for his overriding loyalty to Collingwood, but it will cost him big time in the end. Could've had 3 premiership medals as a player had he stayed at Brisbane. Even after his playing career ended at Collingwood, he could've gone elsewhere and made a name for himself as a coach just like Barassi post Melbourne, Sheedy post Richmond, Malthouse (not in Buckley's league as a player) post Richmond.

Eddie couldn't bear to see Buckley at another club and went about transitioning from a successful experienced coach to a novice. You don't remove a coach when he has the club at the pointy end of the ladder. Buckley could've put his own stamp on another team that changed coaches because they were not performing, as did Hardwick.

As it stands, I can't see Buckley surviving at Collingwood. Don't expect Collingwood to be playing finals in 2021, and without Eddie, Buckley will be skating on thin ice.

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Thanks for confirming Ports SANFL history doesn't mean anything

images

Lots of players have won premiership medals in the second tier competitions of the WAFL and SANFL

PJays

Club Legend
Suspended
Nov 2, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
Sheed misses that goal from the boundary and Collingwood wins the flag, then almost everyone would consider Buckley one of the top 4 or 5 coaches in the AFL.

Just like the ball bounces normally for Milney in 2010 and Ross Lyon would be considered one of the greatest coaches of the modern era. (Or his teams win 2009 or 2013 for that matter. 2009 led every change and lost the lead 24m mark 4thQ).

Further- 2002, Norm Smith Medal and almost beat a Brisbane team who were incomparably more talented. Buckley could easily have a flag each as a player and coach.

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
i personally wouldnt feel sorry. great footballer but a selfish arrogant flog. left the bears because they werent good enoguh for him only to lose to them in the finals, reportedly expected all his teammates to be as good as him on & off the field as captain putting players off side, and now its coming to light the pretty poor way he's treated his players throughout his coaching career (treloar a prime example, plus everything that went on with lumumba).

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Sheed misses that goal from the boundary and Collingwood wins the flag, then almost everyone would consider Buckley one of the top 4 or 5 coaches in the AFL.

Just like the ball bounces normally for Milney in 2010 and Ross Lyon would be considered one of the greatest coaches of the modern era. (Or his teams win 2009 or 2013 for that matter. 2009 led every change and lost the lead 24m mark 4thQ).

Further- 2002, Norm Smith Medal and almost beat a Brisbane team who were incomparably more talented. Buckley could easily have a flag each as a player and coach.
But he hasn't.

PJays

Club Legend
Suspended
Nov 2, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
But he hasn't.

NSS

My point was, the difference between success and failure can come down to a little bit of luck

The fact Buckley got the 2018 Collingwood side so close to a flag- and the fact they flogged Richmond in the prelim- says he's a very decent coach

Likewise, the fact he won a Norm Smith, 7 All Australian guernseys and an AFLCA Player of the year tells me he's an absolute champion player, flag or no flag

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
NSS

My point was, the difference between success and failure can come down to a little bit of luck

The fact Buckley got the 2018 Collingwood side so close to a flag- and the fact they flogged Richmond in the prelim- says he's a very decent coach

Likewise, the fact he won a Norm Smith, 7 All Australian guernseys and an AFLCA Player of the year tells me he's an absolute champion player, flag or no flag
I wasn't disputing he was a gun player or is a good coach.
His playing record is undeniable but the jury is out on his coaching ability.

Your post was full of "if this happened etc".

Have another read of the title of the thread.

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Bucks won't leave empty handed he'll have his new side piece. He's like Dimma but without the premierships.

He’s not like Hardwick.

Unlike Damian, Nathan’s players keep leaving the magpie nest.

Maybe that’s because Bucks is a knob and has trouble connecting with other humans.

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon

His team should’ve let that ball travel the length of the ground at a crucial time.

It twas an epic fail.

a_fighting_fury

Premiership Player
May 7, 2007
Yarra Park
AFL Club
Richmond
NSS

As a footballer he was unquestionably elite, however his behaviour and his character is now up for serious debate.

Jun 9, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
If he wasn’t Fat Ed’s favourite son, I wonder if he would’ve actually got a senior gig elsewhere or lasted as long as he has. He did a Chris Scott, got handed a readymade premiership team and sounds smart when there’s a microphone infront of him.

The previous amount of uncapped football department spending along with the draw card of playing for the competitions biggest club(before the Richmond fans came out the drawers after ‘17) attracted high profile and skilled players and have helped hide his incompetence

Back