Buckleys coaching in the Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Bucks and all the players will have to live with what happened after QT in the 2018 GF for the rest of their lives, will be talked about second only to 1970 ...

Third behind 1979 surely? Pies were up by 28 points late in the second quarter. Gave up the lead and then with Wayne Harmes hitting the ball back in from over the boundary line for that Sheldon goal in a 5pt loss, hard to beat.

This.

If that last big play from the Eagles doesn't happen, the Pies are premiers, and all this talk is for naught.

And not only that, but Buckley would be a genius for turning a side no one rated a chance at season’s start into a premiership side. Bloke must’ve done a thousand things right during the season..

Bit of a rubbish thread.

Pies jumped the Eagles and went slightly into defence mode which was a result of WC getting on top in the middle

Eagles actually should have won by about 3 goals, Pies were hanging on and couldn't defend the WC talls.

Eagles talls especially the defenders are unbelievable and a huge reason they won the flag.

Goldsack as fullback killed us.

Op go watch 2011 to see a game slowly get ripped away from you because a coach won't make a move with an injured player.

Bucks and all the players will have to live with what happened after QT in the 2018 GF for the rest of their lives, will be talked about second only to 1970, don't think you need to rub it in any further with threads like this
You are aware that our champion full forward Peter McKenna - who was, as usual tearing the Bloos apart was taken out by friendly fire and didn't play in the second half ???

A lot of bullshit talked about '70 GF.

Bit of a rubbish thread.

Pies jumped the Eagles and went slightly into defence mode which was a result of WC getting on top in the middle

Eagles actually should have won by about 3 goals, Pies were hanging on and couldn't defend the WC talls.

Eagles talls especially the defenders are unbelievable and a huge reason they won the flag.

Goldsack as fullback killed us.

Op go watch 2011 to see a game slowly get ripped away from you because a coach won't make a move with an injured player.
Who was the player/move not made in 2011?

Disagree with the OP about Mason Cox and bringing the ball to ground inside 50. That is a very low percentage strategy and should not be regarded as a positive.

Collingwood's problem is where they kicked the ball. In the Prelim final the week before they kicked the ball into the space near him, where he could get a run of half a dozen steps and use his height and leap to mark the ball over the defenders. In the grand final they fell into the trap of kicking the ball right at him so he had to stand and deliver in the middle of a pack, result was that he hardly marked anything and barely touched it in the first half.

In fact I think it was Collingwood's problem all day, kicking the ball too long and directly over the heads of their forwards, not slightly in front so they could get a run at it. Really played in the hands of West Coast defenders using that strategy.
Part of that was difference in opposition. WC mids applied some pressure to CW mids so their kicks couldn't be perfect like they were against Richmond.

1. DeGoey had been playing about 80% FF and 20% mid as a maximum for most of second half of season, because he is our most dangerous deep forward. It was the same in the GF, he looked most dangerous and actually beat Schofield a couple of times....nobody else looked like doing that.

2. Sidey was pushed around, he spent time at FF being manned by Schofield in Q3...WC mids were just too good and he couldn’t get his usual ball.

3. Yeo was BOG in the QF, Redden and Sheed were also huge, whilst Shuey was quiet. It was obvious we would try to stop Yeo. It worked...but bloody Sheed was great again and Shuey was great.

4. Trying to single out Aish as some kind of validation of poor coaching is just baffling...he did the job nullifying his opponents, that was his role.

5. What are you on about? Cox, like the rest of the team, spent majority of his time in WC half in Q4...took some big marks across our HB from kick ins...because we lost the inside 50s something like 35-20 in 2nd half. When we won the inside 50s in 1st half he was targetted inside 50 more often for no result as Barrass had his measure. Our goals came from broken plays and turn-overs in first half. Cox almost won the game for us when he got involved more in the second half after being useless in the first.

Buckley did what he had been doing all year, backing in the players to perform their role....it resulted in the Pies leading for what 90 per-cent of the game and having our closest result of the three clashes against the Eagles.

DeGoey became our FF he plays deep best, Cox regularly used as a down the line option when we are struggling to transition the ball, Greenwood our main tagger who we would play shut down, Aish a meh HBF-wing player....it was all the same in the GF, Buckley backing what worked for us almost all season.

We were quite simply beaten by a better team. Pie fans still go on about poor coaching in 2003 and 2011 costing us, but not this time.

You are trying to find something that just isn’t there.

1. He never beat Schofield one on one. Id need vision of when he did myself because having seen the game 5+ times myself I never saw it

2. When Sidey moved to the forward line, 3AW mentioned its the first time Sidey moved out of the midfield and questioned why it took so long. Id agree with that comment

3. Yeah I get that but you are ignoring the point. Would it have made more sense for Adams to tighten up on Shuey rather than end the winning matchup? To be fair I didnt word my OP correctly with this point

4. He did not play his role though. Buckley openly stated this. His role was to provide run and drive from half back. He did not do this. He did not move out of this spot he was failing at all day either. You must admit that is odd

Buckley backed what worked in some areas, but that is a area of weakness. Simmo stated it perfectly. A coach needs a few tricks up his sleeve when it comes to the big dance. We had tricks up our sleeve. Whether it was Rioli in the midfield. Vardy up forward, we had a few points of difference at times which helped us win the game. Collingwood probably need to adapt a few similar moves because while Buckley didnt accept the losing matchup of Adams on Shuey, he accepted the losing matchups in other areas a bit too openly is all

You West Coast supporters are starting to get a bit Richmondy. I thought he did a good job at coaching. It was his players lack of urgency to seal the win.

That is much more insulting or degrading to Collingwood then what I am insinuating. The idea Collingwood players didnt put in 100%, 100% of the time is a load of crap

Collingwood fans would have left feeling immensely proud of the effort put in. Questioning that like this shows a lack of class

We beat them in skill, not a lack of effort/urgency

I think the tagging of Yeo was the right call, I'd go so far as to say that shifting the tag onto Shuey achieved nothing other than to free up Yeo who suddenly got involved and helped drag his team over the line.

I think the tag should have stayed on Yeo the entire game. Football is a game of execution as much as it is tactical and the execution of the tag on Yeo was working.

When did I say they wouldnt? No need to be such soft turncoats about this guys. Attack the post, not the man.

Come back at me with something other then emotive bullcrap
Lol. Just enjoy the win mate. Are you so insecure that even after a premiership you feel the need to create a thread like this?

How about creating one that encaptures what SIMPSON did right?

5 points to me says BOTH coaches did a lot of things right. However this thread says more about the person making it then the contents within it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. He never beat Schofield one on one. Id need vision of when he did myself because having seen the game 5+ times myself I never saw it

2. When Sidey moved to the forward line, 3AW mentioned its the first time Sidey moved out of the midfield and questioned why it took so long. Id agree with that comment

3. Yeah I get that but you are ignoring the point. Would it have made more sense for Adams to tighten up on Shuey rather than end the winning matchup? To be fair I didnt word my OP correctly with this point

4. He did not play his role though. Buckley openly stated this. His role was to provide run and drive from half back. He did not do this. He did not move out of this spot he was failing at all day either. You must admit that is odd

Buckley backed what worked in some areas, but that is a area of weakness. Simmo stated it perfectly. A coach needs a few tricks up his sleeve when it comes to the big dance. We had tricks up our sleeve. Whether it was Rioli in the midfield. Vardy up forward, we had a few points of difference at times which helped us win the game. Collingwood probably need to adapt a few similar moves because while Buckley didnt accept the losing matchup of Adams on Shuey, he accepted the losing matchups in other areas a bit too openly is all
1. Q3 clear contest I recall, DeGoey outmarked him, was dragged to the ground (could / should have received a 50m penalty) but got up and ran in and kicked a banana on the run that missed. DeGoey is our most dangerous inside 50 forward.

2. Why would you move your best midfielder out of the middle? You have to back in your players to actually get the job done like they have all year.

3. Adams was playing well himself, if we won he may hv got the norm smith. Buckley tagging Yeo to start the game was a no-brainer, it worked as Yeo was quiet. At half time they made the call to try and stop Shuey as he was killing us. Our problem was that guys like Redden and Sheed again outplayed Pendles.

4. Aish is probably our 21-22nd player, why you single him out is baffling? We lost drive from HB as guys like Howe and Langdon actually had to play tall and Maynard was quiet.

5. I see you have given up your ridiculous Cox critique who was so much better in second half it wasn’t funny.

We lost a tight game where we were in front for 90 per-cent of it and where arguably our three best players - Grundy, Pendles and Sidey - were all poor by their own high standards.

If those three play better, we win.

For christs sake, he was 2 minutes off being a premiership coach.
Cant believe anyone can find a way to kick the bloke. That is cheap.

2 minutes, he didnt do much wrong for about 118 minutes.
Be humble in victory I say, he sure was humble in defeat.

Malthouse kept Ben Reid (who had injured his leg) on Tomahawk. Hawkins ran amok in the last quarter -Reid couldn't run with him. Why he didn't move Tarrant onto him, we'll never know.
I think theres the argument that Tarrant went to Steve Johnson, however surely Toovey could have played Johnson and Tarrant could have played Hawkins.

Not Buckley’s best day in the coach’s box but the fact is that he got that group within a kick of a flag from 13th with a stack of injuries. Don’t forget how good their prelim result was given Richmond’s credentials (although I never thought we were unbackable). Very good coach and highly underrated on BF. With the benefit of hindsight I’d have thought most Collingwood people would be happy with the Malthouse-Buckley handover.

Buckley was handed a decent leg up with an extra day's break and home ground advantage.

Not many sides lose GFs with that advantage.

Buckley gave Collingwood every chance possible to win the game, how much can a coach actually do in the final 3 minutes of a football game? Paul Roos himself basically said he was powerless late in those Sydney/West Coast games.
Not much can be done in the last 3 minutes if the game, but Buckley had 3 qtrs. Collingwood was absolutely dominant in the first qtr, but West Coast steadied and were playing better for the rest of the game (except for a very brief 3 minute patch at the start of the 4th qtr. From my observation Collingwood appears to strike fast and in quick succession but have trouble keeping it up or do it regularly).

It was clear that Collingwood were trying to push back the tide of a team playing better from the 2nd qtr onwards and were trying to hold on long enough.

Last edited:
Who was the player/move not made in 2011?

Injured Ben Reid staying on Hawkins when we could have moved Tarrant.

Reid should have been subbed couldn't run and we leave him on a bloke who was getting hot then unstoppable.

I cried tears of joy when Collingwood lost, was awesome.

Here's what Buckley did wrong on Grand Final day:

1. Consoled the runner post-game. Should have suplexed him through the drinks table and called him out in the presser.
2. He didn't punch the banner maker in the face.
3. Kept his beard.

Aside from that, not much. He came bloody close with a vastly inferior side.

I hope they balls up completely next year, but I doubt it. Should make the Top 4 and from there who knows.

You are aware that our champion full forward Peter McKenna - who was, as usual tearing the Bloos apart was taken out by friendly fire and didn't play in the second half ???

A lot of bullshit talked about '70 GF.
So it was Injuries that cost you ANOTHER flag - this time in 1970?

I cried tears of joy when Collingwood lost, was awesome.

Here's what Buckley did wrong on Grand Final day:

1. Consoled the runner post-game. Should have suplexed him through the drinks table and called him out in the presser.
2. He didn't punch the banner maker in the face.
3. Kept his beard.

Aside from that, not much. He came bloody close with a vastly inferior side.

I hope they balls up completely next year, but I doubt it. Should make the Top 4 and from there who knows.
I didn't really take notice when Melbourne got spanked in the prelim.
I guess it's because they've been irrelevant for so long I've never considered them a premiership contender.

I didn't really take notice when Melbourne got spanked in the prelim.
I guess it's because they've been irrelevant for so long I've never considered them a premiership contender.
That's great, thanks for sharing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back