Buckleys coaching in the Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

If Treloar had flushed that kick a bit better might have gone to a contest with Guv and Degoey or worse, over the back and degoey strolls into goal and Buckley looks like a genius. Then we are querying what simmo might have done better. As Leigh Mathews says it can be a game of millimeters and seconds and that GF was a perfect example of that.

I think in the spectacle that was the closeness of the Grand Final and the many epic moments it had, a key point that was missed was just how poorly Bucks coached during the day itself. Now I have watched the game many many many times and it was probably only the 2nd time I watched it I realised just how many poor decisions Buckley made. Considering he was named coach of the year I think the performance he had on the day deserves more scrutiny then it got. A few key errors were

1. De Goeys time as a deep forward - Fact of the matter is DeGoey spent way too much time as a deep forward. The 3 goals he kicked. 2 came from him being in the midfield and getting onto a receive 60m out from goal and the other one came from him leading running back inside 50 and shrugging a few tackles in open play. Fact is by half time, De Goey had not won a single aerial contest one on one and in all reality he wasnt going too. Schofields strength is his aerial ability. Schofields weakness is tracking his man when he runs up the ground. De Goey needed to spend alot more time up the ground. By half time this was clear as day yet nothing changed during the game. Even in the final throngs of the game with 5 minutes left, De Goey was the deepest forward losing the aerial battles still.

2. Sidebottoms use - Even Adam Simpson admitted. Eagles were worried about when Sidebottom was coming off a half back flank. So much so we put Rioli or Ryan to follow him into the square when he came off the back and only moved Hutchings onto Sidebottom during the next stoppage in play. Question is why the hell did Bucks not put him at half back flank? If he took Hutchings down into our forward line it would have been a net loss for us at the time. Sidebottom was clearly struggling. Buckley mentioned after the game he lamented his teams lack of dare and drive of half back. Surely Sidebottom would have helped this? I think the acceptance of this matchup despite the fact it was going against them was odd

3. Tagging Elliot Yeo - It didnt make much sense to me. Buckley was the first person all year to tag him and while it was working in stopping his influence, the reason people dont tag Yeo was all too apparent by half time. Shuey is the more damaging player. Shuey had struggled with the tag two weeks in a row too. The decision to make the change at half time seemed weird to me also. Given the flow of the game it would have made more sense to get Adams to play tighter on Shuey rather then just change all your matchups

4. Use of Jaimes Aish - Guy was on our weakest link in the forward line. The guy you would want to run off. Aish didnt do this. Worst part of all is Bucks just let it continue. It was a missed opportunity here. We got a nil all draw from our worst player for the day in Venables because of this

5. Mason Coxs use - At half time he decided to move Cox up the ground more. While he took more marks, it played into our hands as it meant the next kick was easier to pick off as a mark. Cox got 1 possession but he was bringing the ball to the ground in the first half. Once he moved up the ground McGovern, Schofield and co were alot more happy and comfortable with things. They should have cleared space for Cox in the forward 50, not move Cox to more space

I can think of more myself still. Whether it be Siers weirdly low TOG, Pendlebury not heading down back a bit more to help set up play. Overall though it was a poor performance from Buckley. He made reactionary decisions to quell our influence (swapping tags) rather then to improve his own teams influence (moving De Goey to the midfield). I think he coached a team as if it was losing the game all too often. It was not befitting of a so called coach of the year and it is probably a game Bucks will look back on with a ton of regret

Ok.

Buckley got caught up with trying to convince the world he’s a nice guy on the day. He was comprehensively outcoached and is largely at fault for Collingwood’s loss. Everyone saw through his caring act as well.

If Treloar had flushed that kick a bit better might have gone to a contest with Guv and Degoey or worse, over the back and degoey strolls into goal and Buckley looks like a genius. Then we are querying what simmo might have done better. As Leigh Mathews says it can be a game of millimeters and seconds and that GF was a perfect example of that.

Can people please stop spouting this?

Its been touched on before and we all know it. If Collingwood won the game, the Eagles players poor shots on goal in the last would have been discussed as the reason we lost and it would have got a ton of discussion too.

Main reason being is it isnt a tough one to spot or talk about. When their is photographic evidence of missed shots on goal, its alot easier to point the finger then say a bad coaching move or two.

Im willing to give Collingwoods players alot more credit then everyone else is giving them. I dont see how any of them cost their team the result. I believe Buckley is more to blame then Grundys lack of possessions which alot of people want to lay the blame at. Pendlebury I thought was serviceable. Certainly halved his contest with Redden. Sidebottom lost but once again I put that down to Buckley more or less. Its also alot more insulting to blame one poor kick of the football as the reason Collingwood list

As harsh as it sounds, I think everyone here is a bit too comforting on Collingwood finish second. Just because you dont expect the chance to win a GF, it doesnt mean you dont need to win it any less. People appear a bit too comfortable in the idea that "well Collingwood can only get better, they will win one soon" idea. I feel that Freo walked away with a similar mindset in 2013 and that bit them in the bum big time 5 years on. Getting close when not expected is a very very very small thing to cast your eye back on when its all said and done. Its not enough to rest on like everyone here thinks it is

Last edited:
Im willing to give Collingwoods players alot more credit then everyone else is giving them. I dont see how any of them cost their team the result. I believe Buckley is more to blame then Grundys lack of possessions which alot of people want to lay the blame at. Pendlebury I thought was serviceable. Certainly halved his contest with Redden. Sidebottom lost but once again I put that down to Buckley more or less. Its also alot more insulting to blame one poor kick of the football as the reason Collingwood list
That just highlights people's different view on how much influence a coach can have.

You think Sidey, Grundy and Pendles not winning their match-ups, like they did most weeks, is evidence that Buckley was out coached, for mine it just shows that when your best players don't play well it is hard to win.

In the prelim, Sidey and Grundy were ENORMOUS....was that the result of great coaching from Buckley? For mine it was just two good players having big games.

Yeah it is sh1t that we were so close but yet so far to a flag, no guarantee of getting back to the big dance anytime soon....

But there is always going to be a winner and a loser, WC were the better team all year...so not sure why you are so keen on putting that down to Buckley?

Buckley got caught up with trying to convince the world he’s a nice guy on the day. He was comprehensively outcoached and is largely at fault for Collingwood’s loss. Everyone saw through his caring act as well.

Buckley + FIGJAM = Flog
Buckley + Nice guy = Fraud

I’ve heard it all now

That just highlights people's different view on how much influence a coach can have.

You think Sidey, Grundy and Pendles not winning their match-ups, like they did most weeks, is evidence that Buckley was out coached, for mine it just shows that when your best players don't play well it is hard to win.

In the prelim, Sidey and Grundy were ENORMOUS....was that the result of great coaching from Buckley? For mine it was just two good players having big games.

Yeah it is sh1t that we were so close but yet so far to a flag, no guarantee of getting back to the big dance anytime soon....

But there is always going to be a winner and a loser, WC were the better team all year...so not sure why you are so keen on putting that down to Buckley?
Some drank the Kool Aid with FIGJAM and never let it go.

I don't think he coached badly at all. He pushed Sidebottom forward to try something because he was getting tagged at HBF and in the middle. Cox was having a negative impact at half time. You can say De Goey should have played further up the ground but chances are he doesn't have a massive impact because he blows up in the second half. Aish's lack of size and physicality stood out, but his game time was also kinda low.

They did very well considering Pendles, Grundy and Sidebottom had below average games, and I doubt Treloar was close to 100% fit.

Hawthorn probably was, smashed Collingwood round 1 and had massive outs and injuries 2nd final.

With Stratton, Omeara, Wingard, Birchall and possibly Scully and Sicily back the only way is up.

Buckley's record speaks for itself 25 years wirhout a Premiership.
Nope.

I don't think he coached badly at all. He pushed Sidebottom forward to try something because he was getting tagged at HBF and in the middle. Cox was having a negative impact at half time. You can say De Goey should have played further up the ground but chances are he doesn't have a massive impact because he blows up in the second half. Aish's lack of size and physicality stood out, but his game time was also kinda low.

They did very well considering Pendles, Grundy and Sidebottom had below average games, and I doubt Treloar was close to 100% fit.
Treloar played at possibly 65% JDG was probably at 70% and Pendles had been carrying niggles for the back half of the season.

So considering that a good effort to push the best team all the way.

No excuses though best team won on the day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldnt be arsed reading the thread but Buckley coached magnificently through the season to get the team as far as they got...which was all the way to the end of the season up until the last two minutes. Despite finally getting a few players back from injury and illness its quite clear Treloar DeGoey Pendlebury and a few others werent at 100%. Combine that with the fact that the Eagles were just better, especially in the talls department and what we have is a classic Grand Final where the underdogs got off to a great start, held on grimly, but were overrun by the better team in the end.

On game day I cant see what Buckley could have done differently. Except maybe arguably to roll the dice on selecting Darcy Moore which wasnt a game day but a selection day issue. But he could never be criticised for not doing that given Darcy's hammy issues, its more a what if....and we will never now that answer....

Can people please stop spouting this?

Its been touched on before and we all know it. If Collingwood won the game, the Eagles players poor shots on goal in the last would have been discussed as the reason we lost and it would have got a ton of discussion too.

Main reason being is it isnt a tough one to spot or talk about. When their is photographic evidence of missed shots on goal, its alot easier to point the finger then say a bad coaching move or two.

As harsh as it sounds, I think everyone here is a bit too comforting on Collingwood finish second. Just because you dont expect the chance to win a GF, it doesnt mean you dont need to win it any less. People appear a bit too comfortable in the idea that "well Collingwood can only get better, they will win one soon" idea. I feel that Freo walked away with a similar mindset in 2013 and that bit them in the bum big time 5 years on. Getting close when not expected is a very very very small thing to cast your eye back on when its all said and done. Its not enough to rest on like everyone here thinks it is

So Grundy had a “lack of possessions”, Sidebottom “lost” and Pendlebury was “serviceable”. These three players were the top 3 in the Pies B+F and were well below the standard they set for themselves throughout the year. If one of them has even a slightly better game then Collingwood are very likely the premiers.

I appreciate the effort gone to in the OP to provide analysis but the analysis just isn’t right. The analysis seems to be based on the premise that Collingwood were losing the game (despite leading the majority of the time) and that Buckley made some specific moves that lost the game (despite Collingwood sticking to the status quo for the most part).

De Goey as a deep forward - De Goey wasn’t used any differently than he had been all year, there was no “move” made here. He was also probably the second most dangerous looking forward on the ground behind Kennedy.

Sidebottom’s use - I think Adam Simpson’s words must have been misheard here, because I’ve never seen Sidebottom playing off a half back flank. He’d been used as a wing and a little in the centre square throughout 2018. No idea why he’d then be moved to a HBF for the first time in the GF.

Tagging Elliott Yeo - This is one of those comments that are easy to make in hindsight. I don’t know if Collingwood tagged in the QF but Yeo finished with 36 disposals and Shuey with 19. Not hard to figure out why Buckley opted to tag Yeo to begin with. Most would agree that shifting a tag to Shuey at halftime was the right move. It clearly didn’t work as Shuey played a blinder. Just because a move didn’t come off doesn’t mean it was the wrong move though.

James Aish’s use - Given Collingwood’s injuries in the backline players like Aish and Greenwood were used in defensive shut-down roles throughout finals. The first job of a backman is to stop their opponent. Given that Aish’s opponent was probably worst on ground I think Aish’s game was serviceable at least. Sure, it would be nice for every player to provide run from the backline but it wasn’t Aish’s role in the team.

Mason Cox’s use - Cox’s use was no different in the GF and PF. There also wasn’t any noticeable change in Cox’s role from the first half to the second half of the GF. He did generate two shots on goal from marks inside the forward 50 in the final quarter. Similar to De Goey, there was no “move” made here by Buckley, just sticking to a game plan that got Collingwood into a GF.

Sier’s lack of game time - I don’t have the stats on hand but he didn’t appear to have too much less game time than normal.

Pendlebury to the backline - I think I recall him playing off the back of the square for a short period in 2016, certainly didn’t happen at any time in 2018 though. This is a move a desperate coach makes, not one who’s team is winning 90% of the game.

I highly doubt it was an act.

Some people are genuinely nice, caring people. He sees the cheer squad members distraught and in a human moment he tries to comfort them. Seems you probably don’t have much experience of that from your post though?

I highly doubt it was an act.

Some people are genuinely nice, caring people. He sees the cheer squad members distraught and in a human moment he tries to comfort them. Seems you probably don’t have much experience of that from your post though?
Lol spare me. FIGJAM’s don’t turn into bleeding hearts overnight. It was embarrassing.

Lol spare me. FIGJAM’s don’t turn into bleeding hearts overnight. It was embarrassing.
Many humourous aspects to Collingwood's loss but give me a spell, pretty clear Bucks is at least an ok bloke.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Many humourous aspects to Collingwood's loss but give me a spell, pretty clear Bucks is at least an ok bloke.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
I know two people that have (one currently still does) worked with him directly and say that he’s as arrogant and self-centred as they come. This shouldn’t come as a surprise given that he was been dubbed “FIGJAM” by the football world.

But anyway, if you’ve listened to SEN you’d know that he loves the sound of his own voice. He’s stubbornly unreceptive to any thoughts or ideas that conflict with his own. You only have to tune in for ten minutes to realise that he has charactertics that are typical of a narcissist.

I know two people that have (one currently still does) worked with him directly and say that he’s as arrogant and self-centred as they come. This shouldn’t come as a surprise given that he was been dubbed “FIGJAM” by the football world.

But anyway, if you’ve listened to SEN you’d know that he loves the sound of his own voice. He’s stubbornly unreceptive to any thoughts or ideas that conflict with his own. You only have to tune in for ten minutes to realise that he has charactertics that are typical of a narcissist.

Buckley sleep with your missus?

True story back when I was in primary school at at footy clinic around 2003-2004 Nathan Buckley called an autistic kid a "******* dickhead"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back