Analysis Buckley's Positional Changes

Remove this Banner Ad

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
It's been a funny old season for a lot of reasons but one thing has really been interesting me.

This season Buckley has been much more willing to try players in different positions.

Usually pretty conservative in his coaching approach i've found this a welcome departure.

I'm interested in peoples views on this and some discussion about how these changes are panning out for the players.

Here are a few i've noticed:

Elliott to midfield (from forward)
WHE to wing (from forward)
Phillips up forward (from wing)
Stephenson in defence (from forward)
Varcoe in defence (from forward)
Tyler Brown up forward (from midfield)
Mayne in defence (from wing)
Daicos on wing (from forward)
Daicos in defence (from forward/wing)

Last edited:
I've really enjoyed watching Elliott in midfield. He finds the ball and is so clean with his ball handling. Needs to get a little less cute with his hand passes but he doesn't lack flair. His speed has also been really welcome as often we are a bit one paced. More speed in midfield seems to be a theme with Buckley's changes.

Think Stephenson was wing not defense, he just followed Scully back there.

Really havent seen Grundy up forward much at all other than round 1, with Cox struggling it would be nice to see more of it. Cox so far this season has won 75% of the ruck contests he has contested so I would like to see more of a 75/25 split than a 95/5 split between the two at least to get a look at it.

I havent enjoyed Phillips/WHE switch and was glad to see they reverted back this week

Daicos looks like a natural winger

Not sold on Elliott in the middle but it worked vs hawks, didnt work last week.

Last edited:

Elliott to midfield (from forward) Good in stints, still valuable up forward.
WHE to wing (from forward) Better utilised forward.
Phillips up forward (from wing) Better utilised on the wing.
Stephenson in defence (from forward) Jury still out but allows him to get more involved.
Varcoe in defence (from forward) Was shocking vs Essendon but he looked good against the hawks.
Tyler Brown up forward (from midfield) Better utilised in the midfield.
Mayne in defence (from wing) Better utilised on a wing.
Daicos on wing (from forward) Great move, went from looking like he wasn't going to make it at the level to be one to look out for in the future.
Daicos in defence (from forward/wing) Haven't seen much of him as a backman.

Really havent seen Grundy up forward much at all other than round 1, with Cox struggling it would be nice to see more of it. Cox so far this season has won 75% of the ruck contests he has contested so I would like to see more of a 75/25 split than a 95/5 split between the two at least to get a look at it.

I havent enjoyed Phillips/WHE switch and was glad to see they reverted back this week

I reckon Elliott has a lot to learn in midfield but has all the qualities you want. Mostly needs to judge his hand balls better. I think he's worth persisting with because of his clean ball handling amd speed.

Agree, even though some moves didn't work as much as we wish, the mere fact that we tried and become less predictable is refreshing. Worked quite well against one of our bogey teams, the Hawks,

Elliott to midfield (from forward) Good in stints, still valuable up forward.
WHE to wing (from forward) Better utilised forward.
Phillips up forward (from wing) Better utilised on the wing.
Stephenson in defence (from forward) Jury still out but allows him to get more involved.
Varcoe in defence (from forward) Was shocking vs Essendon but he looked good against the hawks.
Tyler Brown up forward (from midfield) Better utilised in the midfield.
Mayne in defence (from wing) Better utilised on a wing.
Daicos on wing (from forward) Great move, went from looking like he wasn't going to make it at the level to be one to look out for in the future.
Daicos in defence (from forward/wing) Haven't seen much of him as a backman.

Daicos spent a half down back. Forget against who and on who. But did recall thinking he looked good. Quicker than I expected.

I agree with much of your assessment but not Mayne. I think it's been really important to add speed and offensive intent off the wing. Probably a big reason Daicos is there actually and its helped the team. Reckon he's been a dependable defender for us and his conservative kicking is more welcome in defence.

Last edited:
I think you've captured them all, perhaps DeGoey to midfield maybe another.

Elliott to midfield (from forward) - We struggled with DeGoey and Elliott in the same forward line early last year. Elliott was tried on a wing, but didn't really look suited. His work in the centre clearances however has been much more promising and he provides a nice point of difference. Still learning the role, so it's not unexpected that he's had good and bad games.

DeGoey - It's interesting that both Elliott and DeGoey are spending significantly more time in the centre square. We all know what DeGoey is capable of as a burst midfielder, but he's yet to find that same influence with more minutes. Wait and see.

WHE to wing (from forward) - I'm not sure what to make of Hoskin-Elliott, he's lost form forward and hasn't yet settled on a wing. Perhaps defence is the next option.

Phillips up forward (from wing) - I see why it was done. Phillips has kicked goals as a mid and shorter quarters may lesson his endurance strength, however it isn't working. Phillips is able to kick goals as a mid due to his work rate and run, he can't do this as a permanent forward.

Stephenson in defence (from forward) - only one week, so a little early to judge.

Varcoe in defence (from forward) - he's shifted back and forth a few times in his career. His ability to defend at this stage of his career is a worry, but I think he's someone we can swing as required. I liked his game against the hawks.

Tyler Brown up forward (from midfield) - it's nice he's getting games and exposure in the middle. Similar to VFL 2019 it would be easier for him to find the footy at half back. Buckley/the club clearly see midfield potential and he does move well around the contest, so there's merit to giving him this experience early. In terms of forward, he has the size and leap, but we have better options.

Mayne in defence (from wing) - I'd argue he's replaced Aish and Noble/Quaynor have replaced Greenwood, but it will be interesting to see if Mayne remains in defence should Greenwood return. Mayne provides a similar honest worker type to Greenwood down back and he's done okay without being great. Like Phillips' shift it's taken away the strength of his running and he also Iisn't impacting the outcome of the match as much in comparison to his role on a wing.

Daicos in defence (from forward/wing) - While it's nice to see a player come from the VFL into a position that matches their VFL success (Martin, Kennedy VFL mid to AFL forward), credit for Daicos' improvement have to go to Daicos. It was apparent from the preseason games that he was working harder both in general and also defensively, he also looks to have added strength.

Last edited:
Daicos spent a half down back. Forget against who and on who. But did recall thinking he looked good. Quicker than I expected.

I agree with much of your assessment but not Mayne. I think it's been really important to add speed and offensive intent off the wing. Probably a big reason Daicos is there actually and its helped the team. Reckon he's been a dependable defender for us and his conservative kicking is more welcome in defence.
Fair call, I'm just used to seeing him accumulate the ball on a wing and be involved in linking up in plays. I do enjoy the conservative kicking he brings to the backline to help breathe a sigh of relief when the ball is down there.

I think you've captured them all, perhaps DeGoey to midfield maybe another.

Elliott to midfield (from forward) - We struggled with DeGoey and Elliott in the same forward line early last year. Elliott was tried on a wing, but didn't really look suited. His work in the centre clearances however has been much more promising and he provides a nice point of difference. Still learning the role, so it's not unexpected that he's had good and bad games.

DeGoey - It's interesting that both Elliott and DeGoey are spending significantly more time in the centre square. We all know what DeGoey is capable of as a burst midfielder, but he's yet to find that same influence with more minutes. Wait and see.

WHE to wing (from forward) - I'm not sure what to make of Hoskin-Elliott, he's lost form forward and hasn't yet settled on a wing. Perhaps defence is the next option.

Phillips up forward (from wing) - I see why it was done. Phillips has kicked goals as a mid and shorter quarters may lesson his endurance strength, however it isn't working. Phillips is able to kick goals as a mid due to his work rate and run, he can't do this as a permanent forward.

Stephenson in defence (from forward) - only one week, so a little early to judge.

Varcoe in defence (from forward) - he's shifted back and forth a few times in his career. His ability to defend at this stage of his career is a worry, but I think he's someone we can swing as required. I liked his game against the hawks.

Tyler Brown up forward (from midfield) - it's nice he's getting games and exposure in the middle. Similar to VFL 2019 it would be easier for him to find the footy at half back. Buckley/the club clearly see midfield potential and he does move well around the contest, so there's merit to giving him this experience early. In terms of forward, he has the size and leap, but we have better options.

Mayne in defence (from wing) - I'd argue he's replaced Aish and Noble/Quaynor have replaced Greenwood, but it will be interesting to see if Mayne remains in defence should Greenwood return. Mayne provides a similar honest worker type to Greenwood down back and he's done okay without being great. Like Phillips' shift it's taken away the strength of his running and he also Iisn't impacting the outcome of the match as much in comparison to his role on a wing.

Daicos in defence (from forward/wing) - While it's nice to see a player come from the VFL into a position that matches their VFL success (Martin, Kennedy VFL mid to AFL forward), credit for Daicos' improvement have to go to Daicos. It was apparent from the preseason games that he was working harder both in general and also defensively, he also looks to have added strength.

Phillips forward has been interesting. I don't mind the idea because he alway's finds the ball and can finish. His problem has been he isn't finishing his opportunities this year. Confidence? It's clearly not his best role, and you can't say its suited hik, but this year he'd still be less effective in his best role anyway because of the shortened quarters. I think he is another causualty of Bucks searching for speed in midfield and wing in particular. Daics, WHE, Stephenson + Elliott on ball speaks of an intent to give us more pace through there and I like it.

I missed that. Still that is a new role also. I thought he looked alright when dragged back. Scully never got away from him.

Appleby has been playing forward in the reserves.

At the member forum last year Ned Guy speculated on moving Tohill back but there's been no word on how he's doing been going.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t mind bucks trying things but WHE & Phillips moves have not worked. Glad to see them back in thier right positions against hawks.

Love Varcoe off half back but he is terrible in the air so we need to be careful with that.

Elliot stevo moving up the ground is very good as it gives them a different look

Elliot to the centre bounce and daicos to a wing were both highly successful moves. However, if you make this many changes you're bound to get lucky with 1 or 2...

Phillips literally has 1 strength, and it's enabled when he's a winger. WHE is a natural forward. I can live with Stephenson up a wing/high half forward, but why put him in defence? A lot of confusing moves. Mayne was also a decent wingman who held his ground but looks like a subpar VFL player in defence.

It's been a funny old season for a lot of reasons but one thing has really been interesting me.

This season Buckley has been much more willing to try players in different positions.

Usually pretty conservative in his coaching approach i've found this a welcome departure.

I'm interested in peoples views on this and some discussion about how these changes are panning out for the players.

Here are a few i've noticed:

Elliott to midfield (from forward)
WHE to wing (from forward)
Phillips up forward (from wing)
Stephenson in defence (from forward)
Varcoe in defence (from forward)
Tyler Brown up forward (from midfield)
Mayne in defence (from wing)
Daicos in defence (from forward/wing)
Until I see a movement away from repeat entry, bomb it to outnumbered tall guy in the hot spot, I won't care about the switches of positions.

Appleby has been playing forward in the reserves.

At the member forum last year Ned Guy speculated on moving Tohill back but there's been no word on how he's doing been going.

Yeah the VFL changes appear to be:

Appleby up forward (from defence)
Wilson to wing (from up forward)

Any others? Jen2310?

I've read Bianco off half back.

Scully has one of the best work rates in the AFL even if he's not the same player since his ankle injury. Love the idea of Stevo having a crack on these types of players to learn what it takes to become an elite level wingman.

Phillips forward has been interesting. I don't mind the idea because he alway's finds the ball and can finish. His problem has been he isn't finishing his opportunities this year. Confidence? It's clearly not his best role, and you can't say its suited hik, but this year he'd still be less effective in his best role anyway because of the shortened quarters. I think he is another causualty of Bucks searching for speed in midfield and wing in particular. Daics, WHE, Stephenson + Elliott on ball speaks of an intent to give us more pace through there and I like it.

With Phillips I'm not sure if it's form or if the opposition have worked him out. I think it's more the latter. His 2018 season was by far his best but come 2019 I think teams started to change the type of opponent they sent to him. Selwood 1 example that comes to mind. Players you don't want gifted time and space, who are quick, who win the contested footy, and who use it really well. Clubs get access to comparative data and I'd guess Phillips went from more +ve than -ve in 2018 games in head-2-head contests to less +ve than -ve in 2019 games. His overall disposal numbers were down across the 2019 season compared to 2018 despite greater tog%, yet he retained a nearly identical clanger rate to 2018, and his turnover rate continued it's year on year rise. I'm not sure Phillips has another 2018 season in him. Hopefully he proves me wrong. The remainder of the 2020 season is as good a place as any to start that.

I see Daicos as a midfielder that Can go forward with some degree of success.

Stevo has enough talent to play anywhere but I like him forward.

Elliott’s composure with ball in hand is great and enjoy watching midfield minutes

as much as I love Varcoe and what he brings and has previously , I love seeing guys like Q providing not only the run and carry but some great choices with his execution on delivery.

WHE can play anywhere between HB and forward but I think he’s best placed on a flank up forward in this Current team.

to answer the question Buckley needs versatility because each opposition is different and tactics change throughout the games, we need to counter. If they shut one down another pops up, some real talent in the current squad.

Yeah the VFL changes appear to be:

Appleby up forward (from defence)
Wilson to wing (from up forward)

Any others? Jen2310?

I've read Bianco off half back.
Yeah Bianco has been playing half back.

In a couple of games before Ruscoe was injured, I noticed he played up forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back