Roast Bucks Starts The Booing Debate

Should the thread be shut down

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree. It's a sad reflection of the world but we are where we are. At this point in time treating everybody the same is not sufficient. People are not equal, have different backgrounds and don't always have equal opportunity. People absolutely need to be treated differently. That's not racism.
I would argue that to treat people differently based on their skin colour is the definition of racism!

At the majority of football games there is booing (a lot probably directed at umpires) and people cop it for various reasons.

In this particular game three players were allegedly being booed but it has turned into a racial issue because one of them happened to be indigenous.

If your stance is that black people need to be treated differently then you are suggesting that black people should not be booed (even when people may be offended by their indiscretions on the field) but white people are fair game.

It would be an interesting rule. What would the rule say on booing of Chinese, greeks, Italians etc who didn’t quite look white but weren’t black either?

I haven't read much of this debate, but when I heard about Longmuire's deflection, I went back & watched it all again out of curiosity as I couldn't remember all that much booing, apart from Papley.
Papley got the loudest & most consistent boos, mostly for the elbow into Nick's back & partly for being a dick in general, I guess.
Heeney copped a bit while taking some early shots at goal.
Maybe they both would've copped more if they'd got more touches - who knows? Certainly, Papley would've I guess.
And then there is Buddy.
I counted 3 times for the whole match - none especially loud. Three times in two hours.
Twice during early play, including his first touch. The first attracted a very small number of boos; the second a bit more, but not as much as even 'Heeney-level' & nowhere near as much as Papley.
The last one was when Franklin took a set shot in the last. It was probably 'Heeney-level', but as he took the shot quickly, it soon changed to cheers as he missed.
No wonder Buddy said he wasn't bothered as there wasn't much to it.
Personally, somebody would have to do something pretty full on before I'd boo. Like a punch behind play, or maybe leaving the club for Carlton? I get that it's theatre & all, so if a few people want to boo, meh. But I think large numbers booing for little or no reason is a bit lame really. I could still see booing the umps as justifiable.
Anyway, Horse managed to deflect from a 3-5 record, some media wonks jumped up & down for attention, Moore seemed to drive a respect message for the club, which is fine & Buddy seemed to shrug it off, to his credit because, as far as I could tell, nothing much happened. If you don't believe that, watch it again yourself
Buddy clearly needs to be educated on what he should be offended by. Thankfully the media and nuff nuff supporters are offended on his behalf.

Soft Loki, very soft. You were challenged to provide some substance, yet simply couldn't do it.

An unsubstantiated claim of moralising is almost a form of moralising itself.

Not sure "the left" would include me in their ranks.

Oh they definitely would.

Haha mate it's not that I couldn't do it, it's that I can't be forked doing it when you are already posting in the thread filled with it.

You can be shown and would still deny it, so it's a waste of time.

There a few on this board who post that way so you are not alone, this is not targeted board booing.

We were booing Buddy the first time Sydney played in front of us since the Goodes incident. It was moronically unaware. We gave the media a free hit at negative a story that was going to get traction.

Absolute horse sh1t. The media will find anything to make themselves relevant off our back. Maybe it’s better that it is this issue than them pulling up a players extra curricula activities.

There are 17 other clubs and yet the only focus is us. We are the story for good or for bad. It makes no difference. We are their alpha and omega.

This dancing the tightrope to make everything warm and fuzzy will only last until the next salacious story is available.

And trying to be something we are not isn’t changing their narrative. All it does is make them more determined to F$&@K us. So I’d rather they ALL hate us and envy our success. Then for us to pander to their whims.

F$&@K them all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No worries since you seem to have the time, you can just re read the thread including some of your own posts.

I'm not your PA or librarian.

You can always pick them because they never post with middle ground they never have balance in their posts. Often highlighting how good their moral compass is and others aren't. Usually for the likes.

It's always just very very left leaning, then try to shut discourse with either a racist card, bigot, gas lighting terms or an inference to that.
Its a great tactic used by the left, so as not have to acknowledge the grey areas.
I don’t think anyone in this thread believes the people booing are racist. It’s more to do with how the club is perceived.

Buddy Franklin is probably the most famous Indigenous player in the AFL. Booing him is not a great look for a club trying to say sorry for its past treatment of Aboriginal players.

The statement by the club was well handled, IMO, and shows the direction we are heading.

Buckley and Fly have been consistent in that they think booing is stupid.

The "but others do it to us" is akin to the old "he started it" primary school kid response.

We can and should aspire to be better than other supporters.

We dont need to booo other club champions, just cheer on our boys as we get another win against them.

Oh they definitely would.

Haha mate it's not that I couldn't do it, it's that I can't be forked doing it when you are already posting in the thread filled with it.

You can be shown and would still deny it, so it's a waste of time.

There a few on this board who post that way so you are not alone, this is not targeted board booing.
Once again, inability to produce.

I would argue that to treat people differently based on their skin colour is the definition of racism!

At the majority of football games there is booing (a lot probably directed at umpires) and people cop it for various reasons.

In this particular game three players were allegedly being booed but it has turned into a racial issue because one of them happened to be indigenous.

If your stance is that black people need to be treated differently then you are suggesting that black people should not be booed (even when people may be offended by their indiscretions on the field) but white people are fair game.

It would be an interesting rule. What would the rule say on booing of Chinese, greeks, Italians etc who didn’t quite look white but weren’t black either?

Generalisation and Casual racism umbrella terming isn't it?

Like saying:
Black people are all fast runners. (A compliment but generalisation of a racial attribute).
All indigenous people need special help because they come from poor disadvantaged backgrounds. (Which isn't true but seen as well meaning by sjw white city folk).

No worries since you seem to have the time, you can just re read the thread including some of your own posts.

You can always pick them because they never post with middle ground they never have balance in their posts. Often highlighting how good their moral compass is and others aren't. Usually for the likes.

It's always just very very left leaning, then try to shut discourse with either a racist card, bigot, gas lighting terms or an inference to that.
Its a great tactic used by the left, so as not have to acknowledge the grey areas.

I like you more and more Loki04.

Not too sure it will be seen as a good thing for you by those that shall remain nameless.

Soft Loki, very soft. You were challenged to provide some substance, yet simply couldn't do it.

An unsubstantiated claim of moralising is almost a form of moralising itself.

Not sure "the left" would include me in their ranks.

Read the F$&@king thread Dennis. It’s not to hard.

Kind of like how "the right" use the same tactic but instead try to shut down any discourse by labelling everything as "woke".

I like you more and more Loki04.

Not too sure it will be seen as a good thing for you by those that shall remain nameless.

Haha I don't think they like me too much anyway so no real loss.

I speak my mind and sometimes the uglier truth too much.
Much safer and easier to go along with the crowd and pretend it's all a one way street these days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kind of like how "the right" use the same tactic but instead try to shut down any discourse by labelling everything as "woke".

Nah just the bullshit.
BTW us middle grounders use the woke term too.
People get sick of hyperbole and half truth unbalanced pushing of modern identity politics and social engineering.

Much safer and easier to go along with the crowd and pretend it's all a one way street these days.
Isn’t speaking your mind on issues of what is right or wrong moralising?

Not a great sign when the likes of Ron feel the need to rescue you. Are you one of those right types that my Liberal mates complain about? The ones that they have to cosy up to in the hope of a few extra votes?

You'll never be allowed in the Clubs.

Not me I enjoy the mental gymnastics. Keeps the brain ticking.

Not a great sign when the likes of Ron feel the need to rescue you. Are you one of those right types that my Liberal mates complain about? The ones that they have to cosy up to in the hope of a few extra votes?

You’re a sad human Dennis.

Loki04 doesn’t seem the type to need my help. Your skins too thin and you have a soft underbelly.

You’re an easy mark. Stick to loitering in club rooms and dropping names. Superficialdom awaits you.

You're reaching old fella.
I'm not right and not left but depending on topic and tone of subject can lean a view towards both. I guess overall I slightly lean right in many things but not all.
Again very left comment of you.
Oh no I can't get into the clubs what ever that means?
I guess I'll have to consol myself with the friend groups I've always had and the company and good times we have always had.
Fishing, Camping, BBQ and beers, family outings and many laughs.

Bugger. However will I cope.

You’re a sad human Dennis.

Loki04 doesn’t seem the type to need my help. Your skins too thin and you have a soft underbelly.

You’re an easy mark. Stick to loitering in club rooms and dropping names. Superficialdom awaits you.

You should be happy Ron. I have helped you discover some new friends.

Did anyone think to ask Bud about how he felt on the issue?

Iirc they did.

Swans coach John Longmire, who welcomed the Pies’ “strong” stance, said Franklin was not aware of the jeers from the crowd.

“He’s good, he’s fine, he just wants to focus on his footy,” Longmire said. “Very simple. He didn’t hear it during the game, he just wants to get on to the footy side of things. That’s what he’s focused on. He’s fine,” Longmire said on Tuesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back