Not open for further replies.

CollarJazzKnee

All Australian
Mar 17, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Hey guys- was talking to a mate the other day about this. We were a bit too young to see Hocking at his best, but these two players seem very similar.. Both tough midfielders, but with great skills.
So simply- who was/is a better player? Would like to hear other people's views!!

For anyone who isn't old enough to have had the privilege of watching Buddha play, do yourself a favour and grab a copy of his highlights reel.

An elite kick of the ball and equally adept on both sides. A ruthless competitor who was as tough at the contest as I've seen, and often marvelled at the way he'd come out the other side of the pack with the ball. He kicked goals and racked up disposals at will.

Not the quickest player to ever grace us with their presence, but his skill set made up for his lack of pace.

One of the betters players I've seen don a Geelong jumper and comfortably ahead of Selwood for mine.

Im not sure I can split them. They are both equally hard at it and tougher than possibly any other player in the league at the their respective times.

From memory, Id say Buddah was a better kick at goal, although Sel has worked to improve his lately. Buddah probably has the edge on kicking in general too.

Id give Sel the leadership tag however. Took the front and centre there a bit earlier than Buddah did, with some pretty big names still in the room and has earned their respect. Buddah only had it briefly and stepped down shortly after.

Id still have both of them playing for my life.

Go Catters

Buddha had sublime skills. He was fearless, very skilful, tenacious, ugly as sin, and had a dirty streak to his game.

I remember in a pre-season game when Buddha debuted for Geelong he was lauded by the commentators. We all said, "Gary who?". Buddha's biggest weakness was his lack of leadership. I am talking about captaincy. He was offered the gig in 1995 and handed it back early on in the season so he could concentrate on football. That's what Buddha said. Fact is he was not comfortable being captain.

Many say Buddha should have won at least one Brownlow. Same can be said of Joel. He won the Brownlow for newbies, the Rising Star in 2007, the first and only Geelong footballer to win this award.

Joel Selwood is also skilful,fearless, and tenacious. He leads by example and has proven to be one of Geelong's best captains. For this reason I think Joel Selwood edges Buddha out as the better player.

upload_2015-12-9_16-58-30.png
Either way we have been blessed to have both Buddha and Sels. Neither are in GAJ's class, though

Last edited:
It is too early to tell.

In many ways they are similar. Both tough as nails, both ruthless and uncompromising. Buddha had a mean streak, but I suspect if Joel played in Buddha's era he would have pushed the boundaries in that regard as well (there was a lot more self-policing going on back then, and often players had to get the first shot in).

Buddha had amazing skills on both sides of the body (at his peak better than Joel), but Joel was more consistent and has a better tank.

Joel has it over Buddha as a leader of men. Buddha was handed a leadership role by default (and didn't enjoy it), Joel demanded a leadership role at a very young age due to his force of personality.

My concern with Joel is that his body will be battered at an early age and we may have seen the best of him already. A bit similar to Buddha who played the last couple of years on one leg. If Joel's body holds up and he leads us to another successful era, then he wins this debate. As it stands right now it is too close to call.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure he has at all to be honest.
Discipline levels aren't those of a supreme captain that's for sure. Those around him have also struggled with discipline.

I'm not sure he has at all to be honest.
Based on what?

All Australian captain 2013, 2014
AFLPA best captain
IRL Australian captain 2014.

I think that's pretty good for only 4 years as captain.

I think the AFLPA award has credibility, but not the others.
Still it's clear many see him as a good captain as I do. He leads from the front. That was the original assertion which was refuted, so again based on what.

Still it's clear many see him as a good captain as I do. He leads from the front. That was the original assertion which was refuted, so again based on what.
Just out of curiosity, what's his finals record as captain?

Just out of curiosity, what's his finals record as captain?
yeah, cos that's bloody relevant :rolleyes:

Took over a team on the decline and as it's declined he stood up as captain. Often shouldering the load by almost himself.

yeah, cos that's bloody relevant :rolleyes:

Took over a team on the decline and as it's declined he stood up as captain. Often shouldering the load by almost himself.
Its plenty relevant. More so than pointing to a couple of opinion based awards as a reflection.

I guess he has trouble 'leading from the front' when it matters most... I'm not saying he's a poor captain but he isn't as perfect as some in here would make you believe.

We've put ourselves in a good position to contend a couple of times under his reign, only to falter badly at the business end of the season.

Were we really on the decline, or was that the notion of the media who were sick of us winning?

Its plenty relevant. More so than pointing to a couple of opinion based awards as a reflection.

I guess he has trouble 'leading from the front' when it matters most... I'm not saying he's a poor captain but he isn't as perfect as some in here would make you believe.

We've put ourselves in a good position to contend a couple of times under his reign, only to falter badly at the business end of the season.

Were we really on the decline, or was that the notion of the media who were sick of us winning?
Again, is that his fault that we've faltered under his reign as captain? I'd say no.

As captain his performances in finals are rather good tbh. ~26 disposals, 5.5 tackles and ~7 clearances. All of which are AHEAD of his career averages so I'd say that's a captain standing when it counts. Not his fault not many have followed suit.

So he really doesn't have trouble leading from the front when it matters most despite your protestations that he does :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back