Opinion Buddha v Sel

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
and we were up at quarter time too IIRC

Interesting to read about the Cork. I didn't recall that but knew Hocking was struggling. I remember all of our gun mids missed the Carlton semi injured and sometimes that second match back is the kicker. The Eagles in 1994 were the complete unit though. Much better than that Carlton side that flogged us the year after. As for 92, we saw that one last Saturday.

It’s a very even comparison of two greats. I was always on the side of Hocking but not so sure these days.

Hocking the better player. Selwood the better career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont want to sound like i'm undermining Sels efforts.
Guy has been beyond the most team oriented and gutsy Captain ive seen.

But I cant get past Budda having his jaw broken in 89 and playing on.

On brave act does not out weigh a career

but as its listed above perhaps

Hocking the better player. Selwood the better career

Go Catters

I dont want to sound like i'm undermining Sels efforts.
Guy has been beyond the most team oriented and gutsy Captain ive seen.

But I cant get past Budda having his jaw broken in 89 and playing on.

On brave act does not out weigh a career

but as its listed above perhaps

Hocking the better player. Selwood the better career

Go Catters
That last line that Crocsta said and then you I think perfectly sums it up.
Nearly all that has to be said.
Dermie had an article this year about that incident, he said he saw Dipper elbow Hocking in the face, Hocking just spat his teeth out and kept going.

And on Grand Final day in 94 he was pretty banged up. Classic case of an injured player coming up ok in his first match back, not so much the second. That 94 Grand Final was a horrible game. A very dispiriting afternoon.
Gee, we have been unlucky with some of our GF opponents in recent history being awesome teams.

Last edited:
There's a video on Youtube somewhere of a State Game where Buddha was absolutely supreme...

Class on both sides of his body and hard as a cat's head...a Geelong great......just as Selwood is.

I prefer to stay away from comparisons from different eras though..

Interesting thing with Hocking - re posters have mentioned the 89 GF - but the alleged incident with Platten in the 1st qtr

I read Dippers book many years ago - and he said at the qtr time break - Platten was in gah gah land

However there was no vision at the time or since of the incident

My view was - Hawthorn were fair game back then - so who cares

Interesting thing with Hocking - re posters have mentioned the 89 GF - but the alleged incident with Platten in the 1st qtr

I read Dippers book many years ago - and he said at the qtr time break - Platten was in gah gah land

Hawthorn were absolute mongrels and it's a fallacy when you hear of them speaking of Geelong playing the man in the 89 grand final.
In fact, go back to the game earlier in the season, round 6.
Here is a video of every off the ball incident by both sides, it's obvious who the instigators (Brereton) were:

play 1.gif
play 2.gif
play 3.gif
play 4.gif

And it wasn't until the last quarter before a Geelong player went the man
play 5.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is. If you've got the game it's actually pretty clear.

If anyone has footage of the first quarter, it's easy to find.

Edit: My mistake. The incident wasn't as I remembered it. But it's here.

First quarter, around 29:45 in. There were around 100 similar bumps from that Grand Final. Platten was just unlucky. Played out the quarter too.

Last edited:
Hawthorn were absolute mongrels and it's a fallacy when you hear of them speaking of Geelong playing the man in the 89 grand final.
In fact, go back to the game earlier in the season, round 6.
Here is a video of every off the ball incident by both sides, it's obvious who the instigators (Brereton) were:

View attachment 997629
View attachment 997630
View attachment 997631
View attachment 997632

And it wasn't until the last quarter before a Geelong player went the man
View attachment 997633
This is main board thread worthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back