Opinion Buddha v Sel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Freds post above is a good place to start.A personal experience almost 50 years ago now in a tight game I was moving back to the middle for a centre bounce the skipper rolled up beside me and said "your going ok but we'll need more than ok in the last 10 minutes to win this".On field leadership.
That makes Mick Turner a superb captain then. He OFTEN used to approach GAS at appropriate times in the last /4 to get us over the line!

BullShiit - if it was a tennis match - the scoreline would be something along the lines of 6-4 7-5 6-3 ( ie 3 glorious flags to nil )

Thank you linesmen - thank you ball boys - Game Set and Match to Joel !
Your bias is unreal.
Were you at the 89 Prelim?
The 94 prelim?
Buddha nearly single-handedly got us into that 94 GF that we should never have been in. He was so dominant that season that Woosha had to come out and cork him at the opening bounce to render him not capable of running. That was the end of our campaign.
Clearly you base your judgements on GF results only- bit harsh for players who have clearly given their every bit possible to the team- BUDDHA for one- and yet have not been part of a team that was able to win one.

Clearly you base your judgements on GF results only- bit harsh for players who have clearly given their every bit possible to the team- BUDDHA for one- and yet have not been part of a team that was able to win one.
Why not. Selwood gets marked down individually on here based on our recent finals record as a team.

Now whinge aside, of course it's harsh to judge players based on the success or otherwise in a team sport. That's grossly unfair.

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Your bias is unreal.
Were you at the 89 Prelim?
The 94 prelim?
Buddha nearly single-handedly got us into that 94 GF that we should never have been in. He was so dominant that season that Woosha had to come out and cork him at the opening bounce to render him not capable of running. That was the end of our campaign.

That gives me another reason to dislike him

Wheres everyone been the last 8-9 years !- Selwood has a so so year last season - what about the previous 8 - absolutely outstanding

All those subsequent premiership players - who all had collective shocking years in 2006 - well guess what -Joel wasnt one of them

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
That gives me another reason to dislike him

Wheres everyone been the last 8-9 years !- Selwood has a so so year last season - what about the previous 8 - absolutely outstanding

All those subsequent premiership players - who all had collective shocking years in 2006 - well guess what -Joel wasnt one of them
How can you make rational un bias judgments on their respective careers if you have a number of reasons to dislike one of the candidates?

I can't remember who I had better, but I remember I found it incredibly difficult to split these guys...

I watched rd 1 Cats V Norf from 1999 a few days ago, it sealed it for me... Buddha I have in front

I had forgotten how good he was, his vision and skills on each side of his body were just so so good... seeing him wheel onto his left and hit blokes up 50m away time and time again...

It's not like it is easy to split them, but personally I have Buddha in front currently.... watching the game just got me thinking of this discussion.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
I watched rd 1 Cats V Norf from 1999 a few days ago, it sealed it for me... Buddha I have in front

I had forgotten how good he was, his vision and skills on each side of his body were just so so good... seeing him wheel onto his left and hit blokes up 50m away time and time again...

Even now, in an era where you expect all players to be good on both sides, no one in our current team has the disposal on each side that Hocking did.

Pollywaffle

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Interesting to compare older players with modern guys, just to see whether there were more 'both sides' players then.
Hocking was a great example, but there were many others.
Interestingly, one of my gripes with Hocking was that he went to his left (i presume non dominant) side too often.
This might have been due to his dodgy Knees though:(

Claude Balls

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 30, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm too young to have appreciated Hocking's career in full, but from what I do recall (from about '96 onwards), plus highlights etc, I have no hesitation in saying that he was equally as tough as Selwood, yet more skilful. Would I be wrong in saying that he was one of the top handful of midfielders of the 90s? Top 3 in the Brownlow 4 times...

As for Selwood, much will depend on how he finishes off his career. I do sometimes wonder whether we've seen the best of him already, such is his style of play. It's easy to assume that a player will more or less maintain their elite form, in a linear fashion, until they're approximately 30, irrespective of whether they reached elite status at 21 or 25. Selwood has played a lot of games for a 27 year old. A lot of games in the thick of the action and a lot of hits to the head. I know the club is seriously worried about him in terms of his concussion history. What that bodes for the remainder of his career is a mystery at this stage, but he might play more in the forward line, or he might play more as an outside mid.

In any case, my opinion is that Hocking is slightly ahead at this stage.

I can't remember who I had better, but I remember I found it incredibly difficult to split these guys...

It's not like it is easy to split them, but personally I have Buddha in front currently.... watching the game just got me thinking of this discussion.
Check out Buddha v NM 1994 Prelim, unbelievable.
Something about Buddha v NM.

Last edited:
Check out Buddha v NM 1294 Prelim, unbelievable.
Something about Buddha v NM.
I recorded that game yesterday ( it was on foxfooty) so will check it out as soon as I have time

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
had Ablett not been suspended in the final v St Kilda 1991, being unfit and all, would we have beaten Hawthorn in the final and then possibly win the flag after receiving a weeks rest?
Our experience on the big open ground of Waverley Park would have surely given us the edge over the younger Eagles.

Sad knowing Buddha and co never won a flag. They deserved at least one after all those years of battling to get to preliminary finals/grand finals.

It's hard to say. Ablett really was peripheral to the team that year. He had from memory one really good game - when he kicked 5 at Moorabbin versus St.Kilda. Apart from that it was mostly reputation as he didn't have the fitness. But yeah with a week's rest who knows.

Both bring very similar traits to the table. Tough as nails, uncompromising, great leaders and continually stood up when needed.

Hocking however has Selwood covered well and truly in terms of skills. For me that's the only way I can split them so Buddha for me.

Both bring very similar traits to the table. Tough as nails, uncompromising, great leaders and continually stood up when needed.

Hocking however has Selwood covered well and truly in terms of skills. For me that's the only way I can split them so Buddha for me.

Yep..agreed.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong

I'm going with Selwood and quite comfortably now.
As you said, Buddha's skills were truly exquisite. Left foot, right foot. Could hit a player on the run with a perfect 20 metre handball and he was also a very good mark. So much so that he was a handful whenever he drifted forward (243 career goals).

But having just watched Selwood battle his way through another grand final, with a busted finger and only a handful of teammates willing to go above and beyond in the second half (Duncan + Selwood with 9+ disposals each), he always lifted when the stakes were at their highest and this is something Garry Hocking struggled to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back