Roast Buddha

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 5, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
Buddha. Great player, tough, and got the most out of himself always. I went to his last game, my last at the ground (so far).

I checked out the Club's website to see today's photo of him holding his recently received legend medal. He looks sad not celebratory. He looks like he is apologetic.

Why? Well maybe because he has feuded with brother Steve (who is GM of Football at the Club) and the Club can't seem to get its head around this.

Time for the Club leadership to step up and be leaders. Buddha was not perfect, but who is. Elevate the guy to proper status. The website article is a joke.

Having compared the article to the Polly Farmer version for the same, there is not a lot of difference.

As the article states, the status of club Legend has been around a while, the medal a recent addition.

Im not saying its been done well or poorly, rather that there does not seem on face value a vast difference between medal presentations to this point.

As for Budda and Steve, hopefully it gets buried soon. Gonna be hard with Budda's kid up for FS if he and SH dont talk.

GO Catters

I'm not sure the club needs to get its head around this ..

The bad blood between the two has been reported on for years, and frankly its a family matter that the club, has no real business getting involved in.

I'm not sure this Board can add much more to the conversation.

The bad blood between the two has been reported on for years, and frankly its a family matter that the club, has no real business getting involved in.

yeah i agree, its a family matter

51DHWZk2vfL._SX940_.jpg

The 'feud' is overblown it existed when they played together and that worked out fine. Not all siblings are friends sad but true.
Buddha has hardly been someone to show a lot of emotion. He came to the club last year or the year before. That was him and the club breaking bread. Water under the bridge Steve is doing a great job at the club. And Buddha was my favourite player for a long time.

If they needed to work together at Geelong, the simple message should be to just grow up.

People have to work together all the time who don't get along. It's not that big an issue.

If they needed to work together at Geelong, the simple message should be to just grow up.

People have to work together all the time who don't get along. It's not that big an issue.

The club is worse off not having Buddha involved in some capacity because of the issues surrounding both brothers.
That is what stinks about the whole situation.

If I were Steve, I'd be talking into Bob Gartland or Brian Cook's ear and saying get my brother in as midfield coach. If Buddha declines then so be it, but what this midfield group needs right now is someone to teach them the Geelong method. Buddha was a phenomenal clearance and contested ball winner. Club needs a different approach and guys like Hocking, Corey, Milburn . . . they can help take us back to the top but only if ego's can be put aside for the betterment of all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In my view buddha has always been the third best player Ive seen at Geelong.
Ablett snr
Farmer
Buddha
Ablett jnr
Enright
Scarlett
He was tough, skilled on both sides and elusive. That doesnt make him an actor or a brilliant skills coach (may be).
I am just incredibly pleased the club are awarding these guys medals. They gave me enormous pleasure in my younger times.
I thank them for what they gave to the club and to me.
To see pictures of Polly and Buddha holding Legends medallions has been a joy to me
Congratulations to them both

So why are we roasting Buddha? Because he received an award? Because his face doesn't express joy in a photo the way you would like it to?
Your post goes on to talk about him being a legend but you're roasting him?
No I am not roasting him I am roasting the Club's reporting of the award. Looked like an afterthought to me.

One of my all time favourites who I got to know over here late in his career and when he coached Peel.
Ripper bloke with a dry sense of humour and fantastic knowledge of the game , had the privilege of sitting with him watching a game from which he was a late withdrawal - ran us through the game plan and special tactics which we executed perfectly on the day
Strong personality though - in the rooms he told Gareth Andrews to get f***d as Buddha felt he had a say in his late withdrawal by the hierarchy - he refused to acknowledge his dodgy knee which required injections for him to move had anything to do with it :)
Could smack a golf ball but an absolute bandit - claimed he was off 20 !! Bastard

In my view buddha has always been the third best player Ive seen at Geelong.
Ablett snr
Farmer
Buddha
Ablett jnr
Enright
Scarlett
He was tough, skilled on both sides and elusive. That doesnt make him an actor or a brilliant skills coach (may be).
I am just incredibly pleased the club are awarding these guys medals. They gave me enormous pleasure in my younger times.
I thank them for what they gave to the club and to me.
To see pictures of Polly and Buddha holding Legends medallions has been a joy to me
Congratulations to them both
Controversial!!

I'd have Scarlett above Buddha, only because champion defenders are rarer than midfielders. Both made amazing contributions to the club and game.

Controversial!!

I'd have Scarlett above Buddha, only because champion defenders are rarer than midfielders. Both made amazing contributions to the club and game.
I'd have Buddha 3rd best behind Gazza Snr and Scarlett for the best players I've seen in my lifetime.
Buddha was my favourite player out of all of them though.

Sounds straightforward, Partridge. Not such an easy fix though when they still barely converse after all these years.

Anyway, I'm not sure there's a role for Buddha at the club. In any event his coaching resume isn't all that flash.

Wonderful player for us all the same.

Buddha. Great player, tough, and got the most out of himself always. I went to his last game, my last at the ground (so far).

I checked out the Club's website to see today's photo of him holding his recently received legend medal. He looks sad not celebratory. He looks like he is apologetic.

Why? Well maybe because he has feuded with brother Steve (who is GM of Football at the Club) and the Club can't seem to get its head around this.

Time for the Club leadership to step up and be leaders. Buddha was not perfect, but who is. Elevate the guy to proper status. The website article is a joke.
Do even you know what point your op is making? Is it pro buddha or anti buddha?

Controversial!!

champion defenders are rarer because there are less defenders. You have made a sampling error in your logic.

Plus great defenders usually become forwards because it is a harder position to play.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back